Random Events list

I understand what you're saying and why, but I disagree with it philosophically. Here's why: It's hard enough to design a balanced event that works properly -- if you wait until you script 30 of them before releasing them, that'll be well into next year (unless this is all you do for a week or so.) If you release them initially as generic events that are appropriate for any civ, then there really isn't any reason for them to be later restricted to one civ.

My approach in general with civ-specific events is to give the player several options with varying costs and benefits. Some low-cost (or no-cost)/low-reward choices along side higher-cost or higher-risk/higher-reward choices. I think as long as you add these type of civ-specific events, then it isn't necessary to

[The only exception in my own mod was "Greek Fire", which I added just because I missed the Dromons of Civ III....though now that I think about it, I might require the player to pay a certain amount of gold to gain the benefit from that event in the next update, since it is kind of unfair to get Blitz triremes that will eventually become free Blitz destroyers without paying anything....]

And since you're working on your own project, are you doing any sort of Serfdom-related event? I've used that civic exactly twice in two years, so I'm trying to come up with some sort of event that will encourage the player (or force the player) to switch to that civic....

I know exactly what you mean...but I don't mean to balance all the random events exactly. Just to have something for every Civ, that is positive (read: nobody gets horribly shafted just because they picked X Civ).

Byzantium was one of my favorite Civs in Civ3...I also miss the Sci/Sea combo of Theodora combined with those flame-throwing dromons.

I am planning on a Serfdom event (but it's not finalized yet), I have a Free Religion event idea that I haven't coded yet, and I'm working on a couple more government Civic events, so that each one (except Despotism) will have 2 events coupled to it. I think Paranoid Senator is going to turn out great if I can program it properly. I'm throwing around some ideas for a Caste System event, but I don't have anything really good yet. Real life has been a pain recently, so although I was able to code 8 events in roughly a couple days, I don't think I can repeat that.

Between the two of us, if we can come up with enough events, it might be possible to have a unique event for every Civ. But, thinking big picture here: what makes certain events unique to a Civilization vs. all the Civilizations? Certainly, any civilization near woods has had its forest fires, tornados, and other natural disasters, so those should be universal. But look at the other events, like the invention of the halberd or something like that (it's late, I'm not thinking well). If the conditions are right, shouldn't every Civ be eligible for every event, good or bad?

I yesterday eve got an event (for playing with americans) that i have not yet seen in this thread. I was playing beyond the sword as an american. I dont remember the exact text but the this was what was meant:

an election was very close, only a couple of votes difference.
and then two options with a lot of text. both giving an advantage (it was a nice event).

I'll see if i can find that event (where should i look?) or if i can recreate it tonight.

Evertjan van de Kaa

Hello.

Terrific thread!

I have one question about the federal reserve event (event64), the one that reduces inflation.

You need 1000 gold for it to occur... But does this amount scale with map size or difficulty level? I play emperor on huge maps and I'd like to know how much gold I should keep in store.

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Terrific thread!

I have one question about the federal reserve event (event64), the one that reduces inflation.

You need 1000 gold for it to occur... But does this amount scale with map size or difficulty level? I play emperor on huge maps and I'd like to know how much gold I should keep in store.

Thanks in advance.

It does not seem to scale...

It does not seem to scale...

Thank you.

Another question:
Yesterday, I had the great surprise to be granted a free Golden age when someone DOW'ed me. I had no idea this event (Event 20: "Marathon") even existed. Still, I have been DOW'ed thousands of times. So, it must be extremely unlikely, or have more subtle prerequisites. What exactly does "other player makes first attack on your plot" mean?

Thank you.

Another question:
Yesterday, I had the great surprise to be granted a free Golden age when someone DOW'ed me. I had no idea this event (Event 20: "Marathon") even existed. Still, I have been DOW'ed thousands of times. So, it must be extremely unlikely, or have more subtle prerequisites. What exactly does "other player makes first attack on your plot" mean?
its a weird python code - basically how it *should* work is that war is declared and on the same turn the other player attacks units that are within your borders - now with the AI declaring war this is not something uncommon - since that is the way the AI usually declares (by moving its units into your borders). Basically this event can happen if the you or any player declares war by crossing the victims border and attacking a unit at the same time.

its a weird python code - basically how it *should* work is that war is declared and on the same turn the other player attacks units that are within your borders - now with the AI declaring war this is not something uncommon - since that is the way the AI usually declares (by moving its units into your borders). Basically this event can happen if the you or any player declares war by crossing the victims border and attacking a unit at the same time.

So if you want this event to happen, you need to put a few units on your borders, so they can be attacked on the first turn of war...

Excellent reference, thank you!

Dear all,

first thank you for the advices shown above.however,i m desperate and very dissapointed and i will explain why.
i m playing always small map,archipelago epic or marathon.this is because i can contol easily 2-3 cities easily,and the same way i can control my rivals/friends growing.
but,when the quests appear,they require insane numbers.for example,the warships quest,demand construction of 18 triremes.if you decide to built them,it is mathamatically certain that you loose precious time(specially in monarch/emperor dificulty levels)cause you need to built vital improvements.
so,i beg of you,can please someone show me an example in xml,so that the quest can be completed an easy number,small number 2-3 triremes?
:(

Dear all,

first thank you for the advices shown above.however,i m desperate and very dissapointed and i will explain why.
i m playing always small map,archipelago epic or marathon.this is because i can contol easily 2-3 cities easily,and the same way i can control my rivals/friends growing.
but,when the quests appear,they require insane numbers.for example,the warships quest,demand construction of 18 triremes.if you decide to built them,it is mathamatically certain that you loose precious time(specially in monarch/emperor dificulty levels)cause you need to built vital improvements.
so,i beg of you,can please someone show me an example in xml,so that the quest can be completed an easy number,small number 2-3 triremes?
:(

makrisgialos,

See CvRandomEventInterface.py, and search for "Warships". I think this is the code that you want to examine:

Code:
def canTriggerWarshipsDone(argsList):
    kTriggeredData = argsList[0]
    player = gc.getPlayer(kTriggeredData.ePlayer)

iNumUnits = gc.getWorldInfo(gc.getMap().getWorldSize()).getDefaultPlayers()
    iUnitClassType = CvUtil.findInfoTypeNum(gc.getUnitClassInfo, gc.getNumUnitClassInfos(), 'UNITCLASS_TRIREME')

if player.getUnitClassCount(iUnitClassType) < iNumUnits:
        return false

return true

This bit o' code basically says that the number of units necessary to complete the quest = default number of civs for that particular map.

I suspect that either (a) you're using a map with the default number of civs set to 18, or (b) you've otherwise changed the random events code so that iNumUnits = 18.

Note that DEFAULT number of civs is not the same as the number of civs that you're playing with. For instance, if you're playing on a small size Terra map, the default number of civs for that map script and size is 5. So even if you've started the game via CUSTOM GAME and set it so that there are 18 civs on the map, if the Warships quest is triggered, it will still only require you to construct 5 warships to fulfill the quest.

These lists are great - thank you very much!

However, I must now put on my nit picking hat, and only because it's happened quite a few times on these pages, it's "lose" not "loose." The former means you no longer have something and the latter is what you do to your belt after eating a large meal.

:) I thought I had tracked them all - those typos are remnants of copy pasting stuff...
corrected :)
Regardless, it was still a great examination of the mechanics! But now I also admire your dedication to make it perfect. :goodjob:

Ori , do you know exactly how the uprising events work in 3.17? I've checked the XML and it definitely points out to the Python ( a thing that I'm clearly unskilled in ( in spite of my programming skills... c'mon, I know Fortran :wallbash: ) , besides having more to do now than learning it ;) )......

ok uprising:
I assume you want to know how the counter unit thing works - there is now a counter unit defined for each uprising event:
Huns (Horse Archer) -> Spearmen
Vandals (Swordmen) -> Axemen
Goths (Axemen) -> Chariots
Philistines (Spearmen) -> Axemen
Vedic (Archers) -> Archers

now when the event triggers the game loops through all your cities - if ONE of them can train the counter then the event can go forward - if none can the event dies.

Top Bottom