Ruff02 - Concurrent Succession Game

pholkhero said:
yeah...i'm a lifetime phillie fan...i work down in center city, right near city hall...

i grew up watching the late 80s phillies....this is the normal phillies season to me :)

Sounds just about like me. I've been alive for exactly two playoff appearances (one I remember). I can't decide if the bad bad teams from the 80's and 90's were worse than the good, but not quite good enough teams of the past 5 years or so.

I wasn't keeping count but I think Knupp's save is The One. Group 2 - go ... playing 20!

Group 2
Spinoza
Ruff_Hi
bobrath
Mutineer

I would not have mach time tomorrow on on weekdays, so I post again early in spoiler tags.

Turn 0

Was sitting there, antogonising about Iron working. Ipractically never research Iron working myself in my games.
It allredy had bunch of turns invested.
Finally desided to let it be, so, if you choise my save you will see where Iron is. I am not telling :)

Desided to continue war with Khan. My logic - there no war wariness adn when we finally get Alphavit we can strip Khan of all his techs.
AI meagure war by amount units lost/kill and cities lost.

Khan surprise me by starting stream of Archer from his capital on next turn, that forsed me to start building Axes in Bombey again and actially whipe one Axe, reducing Bombey to size one where I think it should stay for a time.

I build a bunch of axes and fortify them in towns and all pilagable hill positions.

Khan was sending stream of archers all my turns. I lost 1 axe I think.
So we currently lost 3 axes 1 warrior this war and kill 17?(by memory) Khan Archers.
I really hope that when we get Alphavit we get all low level Khan tech for free.

Army of 3 axes went down and found city there protected by 4 archers.
No chance to raise or take. So, insted I pillage everythingand went back home as I wanted a bit more defence and redce support.

Explorer boat find Khan galey and run away back home. Insted of loosing it I better use it to build fishnet.

Buildings:

Deli finsih setler, stick a few turns in Library as a placeholder. Whiped Temple for 2 and set to build Forge.
When It grow to size 5 (working all 4 good ties I hired Priest to speed up
next GP.

When Forge finished and it grow to size 6 I hired engeneer. Logic, I want next GP faster and I will be happy with bouth, Prophet or Engeneer.
probability of prophet still will be mach higher.
Production were set for 1 more axe just in case and then setler.
2 turns befor end of my time Proped was born and build shrine.

we resieving 5 gp/turn.
Germany is buddist and Heliopolis practicing buddism to.
Bombey is now buddist, so we can build some more culture there.

Found 3rd city near mongols down on silk.

reason = we will use all good land ties and we are getting Fish. I believe food resources are very important. we well get stone later, but that does not matter, as there are no wanders to build with stone (piramids fidal).

Setler finished and now sitting near next city and I think that should be all for our expancion for a time.

Build set to Colosyc (due in 11 turns, less if we hire priesl/engeneer) but no shields invested.

some shield invested to library.

Other cities. City on top finish boat and ready to whipe granary soon.
New city build granary and currently building obelisk. Religion did not spread there yet. Boat sleep there after run from Mongol Galey.

Summary.
tech learned- Iron working

City founded and one more setler build.
Shrine build. Ready to build colosys if we want to.

war continues in hope of gaining some tech from Khan for peace.

Germany buddist and Thiebes precticing Buddism.
We own
9 axes
3 warriors
2 workers
1 setler
Shrine build.
Forge build.

I'm playing now - will post tomorrow morning.

Ok, maybe I will post tonight.

The biggest news of my round is ...

Khan kept on sending out single archers. I was very happy to help him control his troop size for him. I only lost one axe to these guys and that with the archer attacking with a 5% chance of winning. The final battle for his capital started like this ...

However, he did have one settler on a boat - no idea how that got past me. He must have fled from another city or from an earlier turn ...

Here is our score ...

In other news, we have lots of axemen - some with very nice promotions. Unfortunately, I lost some heavy hitters in the final battle.

Also, our economy really really sucks big time (-3!). Yes, a minus gold count. And, from my reading somewhere in the forum, that is possible.
Spoiler turnlog :

Turn 81 (0) (875 BC)
Bombay begins: Axeman
Madras begins: Axeman
Madras begins: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 82 (1) (850 BC)
Research begun: Masonry
Research begun: Mathematics
Research begun: Construction
Research begun: Iron Working
Delhi finishes: Settler

IBT:

Turn 83 (2) (825 BC)
Delhi begins: Axeman
While attacking, Axeman defeats (0.20/5): Mongolian Archer
Bombay finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 84 (3) (800 BC)
Axeman promoted: City Raider III
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Delhi grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 85 (4) (775 BC)
While attacking, Axeman defeats (2.50/5): Mongolian Archer
While attacking, Axeman defeats (1.90/5): Mongolian Archer
Madras finishes: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 86 (5) (750 BC)
Ruff_Hi: bismark - OB - no
Madras begins: Axeman
While attacking, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Mongolian Archer
While attacking, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Mongolian Archer
Delhi grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 87 (6) (725 BC)
While attacking, Axeman defeats (3.50/5): Mongolian Archer
Captured Turfan (Genghis Khan)
While attacking, Axeman defeats (1.20/5): Mongolian Archer
Delhi finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 88 (7) (700 BC)
Axeman promoted: Combat I
While attacking, Axeman defeats (3.50/5): Mongolian Archer
Axeman promoted: City Raider II
Delhi grows: 6

IBT:

Turn 89 (8) (675 BC)
Axeman promoted: Cover
While attacking, Axeman defeats (1.00/5): Mongolian Archer
Madras's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 90 (9) (650 BC)
Bangalore founded
Bangalore begins: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 91 (10) (625 BC)
Turfan begins: Barracks

IBT:
While defending, Axeman defeats (1.80/5): Mongolian Archer

Turn 92 (11) (600 BC)
Ruff_Hi: hatty - OB - no
Tech learned: Iron Working

IBT:

Turn 93 (12) (575 BC)
Research begun: Hunting

IBT:
While defending, Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.75/3)

Turn 94 (13) (550 BC)
While attacking, Axeman defeats (4.20/5): Mongolian Archer
Axeman promoted: City Raider II

IBT:
Buddhism has spread: Hamburg (German Empire)

Turn 95 (14) (525 BC)
While attacking, Axeman defeats (1.70/5): Mongolian Archer

IBT:

Turn 96 (15) (500 BC)
While attacking, Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.96/3)
While attacking, Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (2.10/3)
While attacking, Axeman defeats (1.35/5): Mongolian Archer
While attacking, Axeman defeats (2.80/5): Mongolian Archer
Captured Karakorum (Genghis Khan)
Bombay begins: Library
Madras grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 97 (16) (475 BC)
Delhi begins: Library
Bangalore finishes: Warrior

IBT:

Turn 98 (17) (450 BC)
Bangalore begins: Granary
Tech learned: Hunting
Madras finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 99 (18) (425 BC)
Research begun: Archery
Madras begins: Granary
Delhi finishes: Library

IBT:

Turn 100 (19) (400 BC)
Delhi begins: Galley
Bombay grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 101 (20) (375 BC)
Karakorum begins: Granary

Here's the outcome for me:

Well.... I'm not too happy with my turns. Lost Bombay, but from the looks of how it went for me I don't know that anyone will have kept it.

In exchange tho, I did capture Turfan and it looks to be a nice gateway city to a large section of the south of the island. Also turns out it will help us contest for the only iron on the island... which Khaaaaan already tried to settle once. I managed to raze that single city as soon as it built.

I settled on the southern tip of our northern section - mostly because trying to get west of Bombay would have been far too dangerous. I probably would have just waited, but I wanted to lock that little chunk of land off from any Aggresive AI settling.

Bismark converted to our religion which is nice, he also got the Pyramids...

Hatty has Open Borders with us. More important to me for the relation ship boost then anything else.

Khaaaan went and built another city south west of Bombay. He had at least 3 settlers out during our turns and a fairly steady stream of archers. These archers (and the lack of iron) convinced me to get archers of our own. Axemen were not doing terribly well. Completed Hunting and Archery, and we're 4 turns away from having Masonry (to hook up marble in Turfan and to give us walls for when Khaaaaan gets aggresive).

I've got our warriors set up to deny Khaaaan copper (and iron) for as long as possible. I could have spammed out more warriors and maybe retaken Bombay, but that would have prevented us from completing a forge and budhist temple in Delhi. I've got 1.5 turns into the Colossus, so its not a huge loss if the next player wants to cancel that idea. I just really like the notion of getting our GNP off the ground with the +1gpt boost the big gold guy gives us.

I really didn't try to recapture Bombay (and its copper) because warriors vs archers is just a loosing proposition - esp when the city isn't even on a hill. We just have no real defense against Khaaaaan waves. Now that we have archers, it might be possible to retake the city.

Overalll... well here's some screen shots to show you where we're at:

One Archer in Bombay (double combat promotion) and two double city garrison archers in Ning-Hsia. At my last look (bout 4 turns ago), Khaaan has no improvements in his lands. I managed to keep all the bonus tiles unimproved (except roads). We have two Combat 1 Warriors on Bombay's copper (mine is pillaged).

Two average Joe Warriors fortified in Turfan, one triple promoted Axe to the north in the jungle above the iron. Khaaan's first settling attempt at the iron was one step NW of the axe.

The Turn Log:
Spoiler :

Turn 80 (875 BC)

Turn 81 (850 BC)
User comment: Going after that archer in the open!
Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.60/3)
Warrior loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.60/3)
User comment: Doh!
Delhi finishes: Settler

Turn 82 (825 BC)

Turn 83 (800 BC)

Turn 84 (775 BC)
Bangalore founded
Bangalore begins: Lighthouse

Turn 85 (750 BC)
Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (1.80/3)
Warrior defeats (1.40/2): Mongolian Archer
Axeman defeats (3.30/5): Mongolian Archer
Axeman defeats (1.40/5): Mongolian Archer
Axeman defeats (0.45/5): Mongolian Archer
Bombay finishes: Lighthouse

Turn 86 (725 BC)
Delhi begins: Warrior
Bombay begins: Warrior
Warrior promoted: Combat I
Warrior promoted: Cover
Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (3.00/3)
Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.75/3)
Axeman defeats (1.60/5): Mongolian Archer
Captured Turfan (Genghis Khan)
Delhi finishes: Warrior
Warrior defeats (1.04/2): Mongolian Archer
User comment: Well Turfan is ours, but it was expensive - one axe left.
User comment: Going to keep Turfan as a second copper source (and thus deny it to Khaaaan

Turn 87 (700 BC)
Warrior loses to: Mongolian Archer (1.74/3)
Bombay lost

Turn 88 (675 BC)
Madras's borders expand

Turn 89 (650 BC)
Delhi begins: Forge
User comment: Great Lighthouse BIDL
Axeman loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.48/3)

Turn 90 (625 BC)
Turfan begins: Warrior
Tech learned: Iron Working
Buddhism has spread: Hamburg (German Empire)

Turn 91 (600 BC)
Research begun: Hunting
User comment: Hunting... cause god, we need archers!!!
Turfan finishes: Warrior

Turn 92 (575 BC)
Turfan begins: Warrior
Warrior promoted: City Raider I
Tech learned: Hunting
Delhi finishes: Forge
Madras finishes: Work Boat
Turfan finishes: Warrior

Turn 93 (550 BC)
Research begun: Archery
Madras begins: Warrior
Turfan begins: Obelisk
User comment: Obelisk so we can spread to the copper (and eventually iron)
Madras finishes: Warrior
Buddhism has spread: Bangalore

Turn 94 (525 BC)
Madras begins: Barracks
Madras begins: Library

Turn 95 (500 BC)
Delhi begins: Buddhist Temple
Tech learned: Archery

Turn 96 (475 BC)
Research begun: Masonry
Warrior loses to: Mongolian Archer (3.00/3)
Warrior loses to: Mongolian Archer (2.04/3)
User comment: Ugly counter attack I wasn't expecting...

Turn 97 (450 BC)
User comment: Our friend Bismark gets the Pyramids
Turfan grows: 2
Warrior loses to: Mongolian Archer (0.12/3)

Turn 98 (425 BC)
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Mongolian Archer
Razed Old Sarai
Delhi finishes: Buddhist Temple

Turn 99 (400 BC)
Delhi begins: The Colossus
User comment: We're totally sea based so Colossus will go a long way to helping our research.

Turn 100 (375 BC)

Anyone seen Spinoza. I did see a post (Mar 23) that said he was out for two weeks - maybe those two weeks got really long. Ok, lets unspoil our reports and discuss the situation.

I'm think i've got to go w/yours Ruff ~ the rise and fall of the Mongolian empire is too much to ignore

My vote goes to Ruff... The victory over Khan was really great :goodjob: but now, we should improve our economy... We probably need to disband a lot of Axemen to improve our income, don't we? :cry:
We also probably need to research Monarchy :king: , for hereditary rules... It could help...

radiopill said:
My vote goes to Ruff... The victory over Khan was really great :goodjob: but now, we should improve our economy... We probably need to disband a lot of Axemen to improve our income, don't we? :cry:
We also probably need to research Monarchy :king: , for hereditary rules... It could help...
Unit cost was my first thought too - I looked at it and it wasn't that great so I think we can keep them. City maintenance is the killer and also the fact that we aren't generating a lot of gold. We have concentrated on food (for slaves) and hammers (for units).

I'm going to vote for my save too. I was a bit surprised by some of the other outcomes - this is why I really wanted to do this game style - just to see what could have happened. I changed all production to axes and whipped when I could using that earlier write up. I also only attacked when I had odds >60%. Initial odds at the capital were in the order of 20% so I waited and silly Khan sent his archers out onto the plains - easy pickings. Leaving his capital with 2 archers while I had 5 axes around it was just plain silly. I would have attached with 10% odds in that situation.

I would have to voite for my save.
Idea is, Khan is not going anywhere. He will sit there sending a few military all the time. I would rather prefure to milk him for now.
He is wellcome to found a few cities for as to take when we ready.

Research choises is very questinable to.
I might undestand researchign hunting after taking Khan capital. Need to build camps. But what the point of researching Archery?

Upkeep situation probably correctable, with putting Gold mine online, but any kind of trade will be far off and we would spend a lot of time recovering.

I've got to say I like Ruff's save best because it went almost 100% opposite mine. I had trouble holding Khaaaaan off and well Ruff took him to town. Mutineer's would have been an easy choice except eliminating a rival civ is always a huge bonus in my book. Milking a civ is one thing, never having to worry about them is a whole lot better.

Couple questions tho Ruff - what did you research? and did our cities produce anything besides axemen during your reign?

bobrath said:
Couple questions tho Ruff - what did you research? and did our cities produce anything besides axemen during your reign?
I inherited iron for research and I let that go. I biuld a fish boat but other than that, I think I only build axes. At one stage, our finances were so low I was on strike so my research got very low. I picked hunting and archer as they were very cheap and everything else was 20+ turns away. I didn't want to straddle the next player with a long research treck.

Do we move to the new patch or not? We can run both ...

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Dual install is pretty easy.

1. Copy "Sid Meier's Civilization IV" in Program Files/Firaxis Games, to "Sid Meier's Civilization IV v1.52".

2. Rename "Sid Meier's Civilization IV" in My Documents/My Games, to "Sid Meier's Civilization IV v1.52".

3. Install the patch.

4. Run from one directory or the other to get the version you want. You'll also be able to install mods separately for the two versions, save games will be separate for the two versions, etc. The new version will have a clean install with no mods, which is probably what you want (since many old mods won't work).

I intend to have only one version installed on my computer, a new one.
Can not really be bothered with multiply versions and all other SG I involve to move to new one.

Votes so far ...
pholkhero - Ruff_Hi
knupp715 (out until April 15th)
radiopill - Ruff_Hi
chriseay
Spinoza (not posted anywhere since Mar 26 - MIA?)
Ruff_Hi - Ruff_Hi
bobrath - Ruff_Hi
Mutineer - Mutineer

And from the last few posts, we upgrade to v1.61

Round 3 - Group 1
pholkhero
bobrath
Mutineer
chriseay

Round 3 - Group 2
Spinoza
knupp715