The City States of Greece

Well it could possibly be that my mind made the connection because I am familiar with the U.S. system. Unsurprisingly no other contemporary system of government is really taught in public schools in the U.S. (atleast not in mien), though I did learn a little about the German system...

Well it's similar to your congress in that the chambers theoretically have the same level of power but is different in that they have set spheres of influence that only slightly overlap.

Before I go to all the trouble making a new family tree, would you guys prefer one for all the Nobility, or one for each City-State?

The city-states will most likely have marriages between them, so I think that it is kind of pointless to have one for every city-state

OOC: I am sorry for double-posting, but I do feel that 1 hour is enough to not just editing a post.

But in order to help Dot with NPCs, I will be retiring from this game as a PC. You will, however, probably see more chapters in that book of Gennadios :) So I guess that I should congratulate SwimandCiv :p It has, however, been nearly a month since he's been online, so I suggest giving the open spot to the person who is next in line, if he has not posted in the thread three days from now

Yes now that Magnive has decided to help with the NPCs there is another spot open in Athens. I'll PM Swimandciv, but if he doesn't respond by the Midsession update (which will be tommorrow) the next person in line gets it.

Ah well Magnive. I suppose Dot80 will have to do some RP thingy to explain your descent from the political state... that or your characters become NPC's.

Anyways I hope Swimandciv replies, considering who would be the beneficiary should he fail to respond.... Although Im afraid it appears its unlikely we will see swimandciv considering his last visitation was on March 11.

I wouldn't mind helping with some stuff either, since I'm not in the game yet...

Christos has been born in Athens as Christos Athinagoras

With the release of the Syntagma the people of Delphi were overjoyed. The government of their city would be ruled by the people! The already liberal undertones of the group were brought out evenmore by this occurence. Many new political philosophies were being formed around the idea of the people having a greater say in the government. The idea of Democracy was starting to grow stonger and stronger. As the government began to organize word spread to Athens. Many Athenians found the ideas put forth by the Delphians interesting, but uneeded. In Athens the general sentiment was that the Archon was the only one trustworthy enough to have control over the government. However, the Patriarch of the Economou house expressed a desire for something similar in Athens. He calls for the Areopagus to funtion similar to the Boulai of Delphi, excluding the admittance of the Plebians into any body of the government. Back in Delphi the Ekklessia, Synedrion and the Theoikos all met for the first time. The Ekklessia was a spectacle, with men shouting and fighting. Four men, Jason, Calls, Myron, and Platon, stood out among the Plebs, and took leadership positions in the Ekklessia. The Polikyrios attended all three meetings, and was an active member. His attendance to the meetings gave many the impression that he would turn out to be a good and attentive leader.

Meanwhile back in Athens the survivors of the battle were just arriving home. Among them was a Polish man who walked with a noble gait. He quickly made his way to the palace to see the Archon, he said:

My name is Henryk, son of Boleslaw I. I hail fromthe Piast dynasty, and I am the rightful patriarch to it. My tale may not be short, but I guarantee that you will not regret taking your time to listen to it.

My home, the city of Warsaw, is the capital and only major city of the Kingdom of Poland. The founder of the city was my father, and thus he was crowned as the first king. However, the polish nobility are strong, strong enough to ensure that Poland is a elective monarchy. For many years, there was peace and prosperity in the land. However, the Japanese begun raiding our villages, and soon they threatened to invade us. But my father, intelligent, yet cautious, negotiated a treaty with the Japanese, in which we agreed to be allied only to Japan. In return, they would protect us. Then, three years ago, the stability of the realm was shattered. Konrad, my brother, the only strong card to the throne died, and both myself and my brother Leszek begun gathering support, since we both wanted to become King of Poland.
But things looked well for me, as our father, and most of the nobles, supported me as the heir.

However, half a year later, my father died. At the same time, some of my most prominent supporters died as well, which I am sure was the work of the Japanese, since small star-like steel weapons were used for it, something I have never before seen in Poland. But my brother and I continued our fight to become king. My followers were the ones against the Japanese, and his were the ones for them. Before the assassination of my father and the nobles, I held about 70% of the votes, with 66% being required to become king. However, after, my brother and I both held about 50%. But instead of trying to sway more nobles to his side, my brother decided to ask the Shogun for help. And his request was granted. On the day the "help" arrived, a third of the polish nobility was killed, everyone alive was scared into supporting Leszek, and I would have been killed, had I not manage to escape. Leszek made a new treaty with the Shogun after that, one which might as well have made Warsaw a part of the Japanese empire. For that, Leszek is deeply hated by my people, but nobody dares challenge him, as everyone knows that he is the shoguns pawn. Because of that, I begun organizing a resistance force within Japan. I had enrolled in the Japanese settler party, and I planned to gain power in that city, and use that to liberate my people.

Now, great leader, you have listened to my tale, and for that I am grateful. Now, I ask for your help, and I will say things as they are. You are already at war with the Japanese, so you will most likely have to face the poles sooner or later, so if you helped me getting back my kingdom during the war, Warsaw would be forever in debt to you.

The audience listening to his story had mixed responses. Some were shocked, others sad, some were anger, and still others were skeptical. After it was finished the room was dead silent, everyone waiting for the Archon's response.

Update:
-Unborn players and Born players can now join the military. For joining the military you can earn money, prestige, and even notablitlity for your family. If you die however, you will lose all money and notablitliy earned for your family, and you will move to the end of the waiting list (unless you have been born and have family outside the military). The amount of players allowed per unit is equal to Total # of Players divided by Total # of units. So now, for example, it would be 16/1. So the unit could hold all 16 players. When the hoplite is finished it will be 16/2, so the unit could only hold 8 players. This mechanic is designed to limit the number of players who can be in a highly upgraded/defensive unit. Players apart of units cannot preform any actions, and instead can put their characters in three modes:

Safe Mode- Less prestige, lower chance of death in the case of attack. Lower chance of promotion.
Neutral Mode- Less prestige, no change in chance of death. No change in chance of Promotion.
Heroic Mode- More Prestige, Higher chance of death in case of attack. Higher chance of Promotion.

Prestige will depend on what the unit is doing (defensive units wont gain much prestige). Pay will depend on what the city-state the unit is part of is paying its units (base pay however is 0.25 at no cost to the city-state). Chance of death is calaculated by taking the damage to the unit divided by the units total health. "Safe Mode" will lessen your chance of death by 20%, and "Heroic Mode" will increase it by 20%. Fight skill will also increase your chance of survival by 10% per level. ONLY BORN PLAYERS MAY HAVE SKILLS. There is a 50% chance you will be promoted after you survive a battle where the unit takes more than 3 Damage. Being in "Safe Mode" will decrease this chance by 20%. Being in "Heroic Mode" will increase this chance by 20%. Notability will depend on the Rank of the military person. In an Athenian unit, at Colonel you will be treated at the same level as a plebian (in regards to NPCs); at Commander you will be treated at the same level as a Noble (In regards to NPCs).

NOTE: You will not gain prestige/notability/moeny unless your MAIN CHARACTER OR HIS/HER HEIR is in the Military.

Public Speech

-

People of Athens, In light of recent events including the foundation of Delphi, the arrival of Henryk of the House Piast and our phyrric victory in the north that resulted in the loss of a division, I have decided call upon a special meeting of the Areopagus. The gravity of the occasion compels me to ensure that my nobility are consulted on these matters. Once this consultation is complete I shall affirm the official response of Athens to the polish question amongst the other things that are to be discussed.

On other matters though, I would wish to request that Delphi officially declares war on Japan. For it is for their sake that this war was imposed upon us by Japan, who I re-iterate declared war on us and it would be appropriate for them to take the appropriate measures in solidarity with Athens on this matter, even if they cannot yet muster up a military worth noting.

OOC:

"Chance of death is calaculated by taking the damage to the unit divided by the units total health. "Safe Mode" will lessen your chance of death by 20%, and "Heroic Mode" will increase it by 20%."

... so if you are in a unit with full [10] health, it is attacked and suffers nine damage and has one health remaining, the odds of death would be 9/1 =9... Is that 9% chance of death? So safe mode would be -11% chance of death and heroic would be 29%. This is one interpretation.

Another interpretation is that you are in a unit with full [10] health, it is attacked and suffers five damage and has five health remaining, the odds of death would be 5/5 =1... Is that 100% chance of death? A hero would have 120% chance of death, a safe person 80%. In fact, a hero would die in any attack resulting in greater than four damage to a unit according to this interpretation.

Which is it? Or am I missing something here?

Well I wrote that a couple days ago so I'm not sure how well it reads. But here is what it means:

Your in a unit that takes 5 damage. 5/10 = 50% chance of death. A person in heroic mode will have a 70% chance of death, a person in Safe mode would have a 30% chance of death. Than a person in safe mode with a fight skill of 1 would have a 20% chance of death.

Another aspect is that if a unit with 5/10 health is attacked and takes 2 damage. The calculations would be 2/10 which is a 20% chance of death for someone who is in Neutral mode, NOT 70% (50%+20%) chance of death.

I forgot about the fact that Colonels and Commanders wont be in the thick of it. I'll add an extra -20% chance of death for each level. So if a unit at 10 health takes 5 damage than a Colonel with no fight skill in Neutral mode would have a 30% chance of death.

Public Speech

People of Athens. After consulting with my nobles I have decided that we require more knowledge on the situation in Poland before we commit to any effort towards restoring anyone to any throne. To this end, until such time as such knowledge is recieved by us I mandate that Henryk Piast is to be confined, in comfortable quarters and treated as befitting a noble, and kept under observation at all times in consideration of Polands alliance with Japan, until such time as the veracity of his words is confirmed. This is unfortunate but necessary, we cannot run the risk that he is a Japanese agent. Regardless it is my hope that these precautions shall prove to have been unnecessary, and that his words are confirmed as true. If that occurs than Athens will most definitely be inclined to support a restoration.

On other matters, I also must inform the people that their nobles and I agree that it may be necessary in the future to call upon levies. This being in the situation that the Japanese and their allies run an offensive to either Delphi or Athens, or should the direction of the war require a period of deeper commitment in order to hasten its end and restore peace to the region. I ask for the peoples forbearance should this occur, and ask that they continue to stand united with me and with their nobles in serving the greater good of Athens, of the Hellenic nation and of all the world in the pursuit of righteousness and peace.

I would also like to note that should young men be willing and able, I am certain that the military would be happy to accept volunteers. If enough men do so perhaps our military capacities will develop to such an extend as to delay, or lessen the need for levies or possibly even circumvent their use alltogether.

On a final matter concerning the so called "democratic" system of government. I find it veritable and self-evident that such a sysem is inherently dangerous, and conductive to instability and civil-disorder. As such I wish to make it known that Athens will continue to uphold its traditional system which has for so long served it well. I would also like to express my hope that the ruler of Delphi has the strength and the wisdom to govern wisely and well under the constraints imposed on him by the delphic system which most unfortunately is posessed of "democratic" influences.

May the gods bless us and grant us peace, may they forgive our errors and transgressions and grant us the grace to achieve victory in the battle against the agents of darkness. May Athena guide us and may Zeus grant Athens the blessings of justice and all virtue. May we all stand together in our tribulations, and bring glory to Athens name through our deeds. Praise be the gods!

~ Archon Pericles Megakyrios

The Synedrion has declared the Japanese barbarians to be Enemies of Delphi. Justified by that declaration and in solidarity with our Athenian allies the polis of Delphi is hereby in a state of war with Japan. Upon completion of the monument we shall begin training a unit of archers. To speed construction, when the city grows the new population will labour on the hills at 1,4.

Christos Athinagoras is a 18 years old man. He has great interest in philosophy. He is also a writer. He is against the war with Japan.

His newest book is:
Demos and Equality:

The Demos (People) are all born equal, or so they are said to be. Some people, who have money, think that only them should rule. We have an all powerful Archon and only the rich people are represented. But aren't we all born equal? Why should only the nobles have a voice, but not the Demos?

The nobles have the Demos as their slaves. But this is against the natural law of life. All life is equal. As the rich and the poor are born equal, so the Japanese and the Greeks are born equal.

Without the people being represented, we will never have a government than really cares about the people. We need a government by the people that rules for the people, and not an Archon with absolute power.

Some of you say that a revolution is the best way to get the Demos to rule and have a Democracy. But i say something: Since all people are equal, isn't it a crime to take away the life of a man or a woman?

In my opinion the best way to fight the absolute rule of the Archon is education. Only education will free the people from this absolute plutocratic government.

I write all of this, knowing the danger of angering the Archon and going into the prison. But as long as i live, i shall write. The Arhcon may jail me, but my ideas are universal. People can die, but ideas cannot.

Thank you for reading this book. I hope that the Archon will take into consideration this book.

edit.

ooc: And whom, prey tell, do you intend to replace?

ooc: We need to replace? I thought i was like most RP, where you can go in any city you want.

edited my post.

Top Bottom