Windows 8: Internet/Network game does not work

Legorol

Chieftain
I am running Civ 2 Ultimate Collection (UK version of MGE) in Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. I find that I can't play multiplayer over local network or the Internet using TCP/IP. I have no problem on computers that are running Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

The symptom is this. When I try to start a new multiplayer game (act as host), I can set up the game and wait for client connections (waiting for players to join). However, when a client tries to connect, their name doesn't show up. When I try to join a multiplayer game (act as client), my name never shows up on the host.

I have applied the official patch version 1.3, the hostile AI and the no-cd patches from this thread to all my Civ 2 copies on all the different Windows versions. However, to eliminate this as a source of problem, I tried with unpatched versions too, with the same result. So the patches are not the problem.

I have thoroughly checked and eliminated firewall related problems. TCP port 4993 is open as required, and civ2.exe has the necessary permission to go through the firewall. I have tried with the firewall turned off as well, no effect.

I have tried both Network (LAN) games and Internet games, TCP/IP in all cases. IP addresses were checked and double checked.

As I mentioned in the opening paragraph, the problem only happens under Windows 8. On my Windows XP and Windows 7 64-bit computers I can successfully act as host and join games. All computers are on the same network.

I have traced network packets over TCP port 4993 to see if I can learn anything. It appears that the TCP socket is successfully set up, as the necessary SYN, PSH, ACK and FIN packets are properly exchanged. It appears that whatever data is exchanged over the socket somehow isn't getting passed up to the Civ 2 application.

Has anyone else experienced this problem under Windows 8 and/or has a suggestion for a solution?

I have the same problem too! Still haven't figured out a fix yet though :/ Not just you though, which is the important part.

Hey,
I'm on the path to fig. out Win8 Lan gaming issues in general and came across your post. I will share what I know so far. Like you I have eliminated port forwarding and firewall issues from the picture and can switch between a fresh copy of win7 and win8 and test that it is indeed a windows 8 problem. I have been playing around with broadcast fixing applications that forward packets being sent from the win8 system to a VPN adapter and this has made it so the other systems can see the Win8 computer but can't join it, likely because the communication is one way. I'm not at a fix yet but I'm combing through what I can find for a solution. I'm thinking it will involve some kind of custom route being made in the tcp\ip stack, but I really don't know yet.

Cheers,
Eclipse

Hey All,
Just wanted to know if anyone had found a fix for this yet? I would love to play with my wife on her windows 8 laptop while my friend and I use windows 7/vista computers. Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Really would love it if anyone has any information on this...?

Suffering from the same problem: tested it on two computers, one with windows 8 and the other with Windows 10... can see the game, can't join.

Same issue here. Has anybody figured out how to solve this or has a work-around routine? ATM I am considering buying an old and cheap xp or win7 laptop. LOL.

Any hints or ideas highly appreciated. Thx.

Ok, to run Civ2 on Windows 10 basis, I managed to set up a workaround: A virtual machine with Virutalbox with Win XP OS and Civ2 and Evolve in it. Works perfectly fine. Establishing the internet connection was a bit of work though. But finally it works. Yay! :D

Top Bottom