Mayan Mayhem: A Huge Deity Histographic

450 AD-Much of the rest of this turn consists of either planting settlers or getting them into a spot to plant next turn, as well as putting units into former Ottoman cities to quell the resistance. Here's something you don't see every day and shows that the upgrade cost rounds down:

I also have two 4 square spots which I could grab with settlers, but it might work out better to just wait until I can put up temples to grab them:

I will note that Moonsinger's game didn't fill in gaps with settlers all that much, but more seemed to build culture. I have no idea which works better. I do sign an RoP with the Iroquois and land a 13/14 army next to Calaris (the Carthaginian city which took a while to get captured earlier).

460 AD-No flips occur. My score has gone up to 4252, with 1956 tiles. Moonsinger's score at this date was 4255, and comparing the ppt increases (140 for me, 95 for her) from last turn, it's clear that I'll pass her for at least a little bit starting next turn. The only question comes as can I keep up such a lead for the rest of the game, especially since I have a lower domination limit.

Korea has around 555 gpt available. I almost consider gifting them a silks city, but I think I want to keep my tile count high, and I don't think it'll take 20 turns to reach them. The Iroquois have gone industrial (but they don't have Nationalism), and their war comes next.

I will note that Moonsinger's game didn't fill in gaps with settlers all that much, but more seemed to build culture. I have no idea which works better. I do sign an RoP with the Iroquois and land a 13/14 army next to Calaris (the Carthaginian city which took a while to get captured earlier).

Well if you settle on a grassland square it nets you 3 food now, but railed it would net you 4 food, so slightly higher total food with less dense cities, but the cost of the temple and the time it takes to work all those tiles must be taken in to account as well...

Well if you settle on a grassland square it nets you 3 food now, but railed it would net you 4 food, so slightly higher total food with less dense cities, but the cost of the temple and the time it takes to work all those tiles must be taken in to account as well...

I could also plant a city in the middle, and then once I have the culture from the temple, get rid of it. With enough settlers, that might work best. But, I don't think I have enough settlers for that. Even though I plenty of temporary sites, almost all of them give me more than 4 tiles.

Yes. They're still in the middle of the middle ages:

their city placement and the irrigation is actually surpringly good for an AI... except for the mined plains in the south of the island.

t_x

Hey, you mopped up two Sid-Civs in just 5 turns. What an enourmous pace! (it must feel different, when a turn takes hours ...).

Who's the next on the list?

With your domination limit, along to my rough estimation, you need to reach domination limit (and max pop) about 8 turns earlier than moonsinger did to hit her score. At this point, you're up about 9 turns in territory (she reached about 1900 tiles in 540 ad). If you keep the lead, you've got a good chance.
Nailbiting stuff.
As to Korea and the 550 GPT: I don't think that it's about the 20 turns to reach them. I think it's about what you can do with 2750 G in 5 or 5500 G in 10 turns. If those 12 addtional cavs (or whatever) allow you to finish to conquer some additional cities earlier, in the remaining 20 turns that you may need for conquest (moonsinger needed 26 after having the same amount of tiles like you have now), it's a very good deal. Another thing to consider: They shouldn't have money to buy or upgrade units so that you can keep up the pace. And maybe, they'll soon have other things to offer. (Are they advanced?)
1 city that's lost for 5 turns, with 10 pop and 15 tiles, makes up for 2 points in endscore. I think, the deal should very well be worth the loss.

To address Stoe's idea, no I won't do anything like that with Korea. I did buy out their lump sum when I made a military alliance with them against the Iroquois. However, their gpt could swing back around to me via Greece finishing a tech first and Greece selling that tech to Korea.

460 AD continued-It's time to start war with the Iroquois. I do cash-rush an army this turn. A few builds get changed from calvary to horses, but not all that many. I clear out most of the Iroquois units in my territory. I spawn another MGL in the process. Even though it'll probably pillage next turn, since my only options to attack it this point come as armies or rifles, I decide to leave on stack behind which I know won't attack any cities next turn:

In the west I capture New Utica from the Persians, which has just a musket and a spear in it. In the east I capture Owego, New Leptis Magna, Oka, Calaris, and Gayagaahe from the Iroquois, I somehow lose a green lit army (11/13 I think) fighting a 3/3 musket in Gayagaahe, though I guess that does happen sometimes. I do actually end up planting cities in those 4 square spots... not that they'll last long.

470 AD-Tyre flips, as does Kandahar. I have 2110 tiles at the start of this turn, with a score of 4403. I recapture Tyre getting an MGL in the process. From the Iroquois I capture Ganogeh, Kahnawake, Kente, Kawauka, Centralia, St. Regis, and Caughnawaga. MapStat tells me I have 2252 tiles by the end of the turn. I do buy a wormy, loan out Korea's lump sum, and end up with 67 gold by the end of this turn.

480 AD-New Leptis Magna flips. 2245 tiles at the start of this turn, with a score of 4563. In the west I manage to retake Kandahar, and capture New Sidon. In the east another rifleman produces another MGL. I also get another MGL recapturing New Leptis Magna. I end up doing a little too much bombaring in one spot:

Basically, I'll attack to the north first so that the Iroquois don't have any more resources. Then I'll come back and finish to the south. I capture Niagara Falls, Cattagurus, Akwesasne (where I lose another army, which attacked when green at 9 or 10 out of 13 or 14), and Gewauga. I have some 2354 tiles by the end of the turn.

480 continued-make that 2360 tiles by the end of the turn. I only buy 1 settler this turn, as I have a few waiting around, and I have 999 gold left in the bank after doing that.

490-Caughanwana flips and unfortunately I had a few units defending it. Kente also flips. New Utica flips. St. Augustine tells the world that I have the happiest nation in the world and then proceeds to go on and on about his mother Monica nagged him constantly, how he stole from some fruit tree, and wanted to have sex when he was younger... and how he wants to become chaste... but not yet. Korea has learned Communism. Score to 4726.

In the west I recapture New Utica, as well as capturing New Pasargadae.

In the east I spawn an MGL. I recapture Caughnawaga, as well as Kente. I capture Chondote... Here's another little puzzle. Keep in mind that the following screenshot happens near the beginning of my turn. So, in the following screenshot where between Chondote and North Awesasne do you put a single settler to maximize tile count?

I also capture Goigouen, Gandasetaigon, Kiohero, Neodakheat, Oiogouen, Onnotare. This finishes off the Iroquois in the north. I also capture Tonawanda, Oil Springs, and Mauch Chunk. This leaves the Iroquois with 4 cities on their home continent and after some settling, I'll have at least a tile count of 2563 by the end of this turn. However, I have this situation:

490 AD continued-Even though my unit support had gone up as high as 400 gpt earlier, by the end of this turn I pay no gpt in unit support. I also capture Tyendaga, a size 12 city with 3 4/4 muskets with a 14/14 army which doesn't lose a single hitpoint in any of its battles. I also capture Grand River. I end up with 2626 tiles at the end of the turn.

500 AD-With 2 Caravels and a Galley, Persia sinks two of my Galleons. They had ignored them until this point. Niagara Falls, Akwesasne, and Gewauga flip to the Iroquois. New Sidon flips to the Persians. Score to 4904 with 2572 tiles under my control. I could start with Sumeria this turn, but I think I can set them up a little better if I wait just one turn. I lose another galleon attacking a wounded Persian caravel. I capture Charsadda, and New Arbela in the west.

In the east I recapture Niagara Falls, Akwesasne, I get an MGL attacking Gewauga and recapture it. Then I capture Salamanca, which actually takes 6 armies. So, waiting on Sumeria for 1 turn seems just right. Then I capture Allegheny. I'll have some 2718 tiles under control at the end of this turn.

Wow! Only a few hundred tiles from domination! At 500 AD! That's ing great. Do you already have an idea, about who you want to let live?

Wouldnt domination be over 1500 tiles away?

Stoertebeker said:
Do you already have an idea, about who you want to let live?

I had at least hinted at this before actually, but I can see how you missed it. Everyone on my continent will get conquered, since I have the Pyramids on my continent, and almost surely won't get close to the domination limit until I have all their territory (and probably not even then). Greece has Smith's, so I want that city, so they must die. That leaves 4 other tribes Babylon, the Byzantines, Russia, and the Hittites. I only wanted 4 around anyways, so that will work out nicely.

del62 said:
Wouldnt domination be over 1500 tiles away?

Yes, I have a domination limit of 4519. So, 1801 tiles left, and a slew of the territory I have right now I won't keep.

Here's another little puzzle. Keep in mind that the following screenshot happens near the beginning of my turn. So, in the following screenshot where between Chondote and North Awesasne do you put a single settler to maximize tile count?

2-1 from Goigouen? There are no roads there, so it would be a turn slower...

2-1 from Goigouen? There are no roads there, so it would be a turn slower...

I think you actually selected the best spot here, but that's not what I did. I had the 2-1-1 spot from Goigouen, or the 9-6 spot from Chondote, which I selected. I think the only difference comes in 2 desert tiles though.

500 AD continued-I basically block off some Sumerian units by putting cannons and cavalry on hills, mountains, and forests.

510 AD-

A privateer (almost surely from Greece) sinks a galleon I had up near them. Arbela flips to the Persians, so 2703 tiles at the start of the turn. I have a score of 5090. Sumeria doesn't move as many units around as I would have liked, but what they did will do. After signing everyone in against Sumeria, Babylon has extra spices. So, I get some good gpt from them.

In the west I recapture Arbela, as well as New Sidon.

After clearing out most of the Sumerian units, they still have a rather large stack:

So, I put armies on the nearby hills and mountains, and then gift Sulcis to Korea. I capture Leptis Minor, and lose an army attacking Saldae. I have 2751 tiles under control at the end of this turn.

520 AD-2 Persian caravels attack one of my galleons, and I win both times. Merv and New Utica flip to the Persians. I have 2727 tiles at the start of this turn, with a score of 5283. So, I've passed Kuningas.

In the west I recapture New Utica, as well as Merv. I then capture Altin Tepe. Unfortunately, I have a Persian caravel which will slow me down:

In the north I recapture Sulcis, and bombard and take out that stack. I capture Saldae. I have 2789 tiles under my control by the end of this turn.

530 AD-That pesky Persian caravel attacks my galleon, and I win. Greece and Korea now both have Communism and Fascism. Score to 5486. I capture Marad, Gades, Susa, Tutub, Der, and Akshak, with one attack on Umma (which has Bach's). I'll have at least 2876 tiles by the end of this turn. The Hittites have something I don't like:

530 AD continued-another 14/14 army that I forgot I had roaming around attacks Umma and loses.

540 AD-Saldae flips to the Sumerians. New Sidon, as does New Sardis flips to the Persians. 2844 tiles at the start of this turn, score of 5697. In the west I recapture New Sidon, and I see that the Hittites stack of one spear has now become a spear, another spear, and an archer. I also make a capture on New Antioch. Since Saldae lay right next to a stack of cannons I had used last turn, I shell out the 4/4 and the 3/3 rifles there redlining them, then attack with elites nearby and get:

I capture Umma, which implies where I'll put a settler:

I also capture Kuara, Kutallu, Anshan, Kua, and Isin:

I'll have at least 2986 tiles by the end of this turn.

Great work! Can I just ask, why do you play archipalego? Is it to because the AI choke even more on units or because you like to forcus on one war area at the time? Because surely it must be more time consuming with all the caravels?

Top Bottom