About those attempts to make an opensource or indy civ3 clone

I'm not sure we should use exactly the same file as civ3. For example, png are easier to use with C#/GDI+ than PCX. But we could use the same structure (suppose we want the same type of map, we can have the same terrain file), and then it's a simple matter of converting the format.
Some for flic.

The question then is "should it be exactly as civIII", or what should we change?
We need to define a realistic list of changes. If it's just to end with the same limitation as civ, then you have your game, it's named civ III.

Before actually coding anything, we need to make a good design specification: what we want to do, what is "necessary", what is overkill, how moddable we want things, etc.

Then from this we can define the main structure, how the engine will work, what strategy for data structure/editor, what type of UI...

If we want a relatively simple map with only a few animation at the same time, then GDI+ can be sufficient. If you want something complex (like dynamic forest made of many independant trees, or units made of several little guys like in CIV or Civ V, then XNA is a lot faster, but it's a lot more complex to code, at least for me).

What is reallistic IMO, supposing we have a motivated team with sufficient time to work on it (not necessarily big, I think 2-3 developpers, a project manager, 1-2 artists, and a few players to contribute design ideas and test, it's sufficient, and some people can have several roles), is to make a kind of clone with similar map quality, similar gameplay, but without an AI (so every civilization is played manullay by a human player in hotseat).
Kind of proof of concept.

Then we could have AI or multiplayer later (but this would not extra skills, and with extra skills it can be done more or less in parallel).

Without an AI/multiplayer, the data structure can be quite simple, the algorithm for movement/battle etc are also quite simple.
And the map engine is not to hard.

There are basic design issues to solve, like:
- Iso square grid, or hexes?
- Map using a notion of altitude, or remains "flat" like in civ?
- Scale of the map:
-- Only one scale for map (with strategical and tactical levels handled there?), as in civ III?
-- A strategical map, but where battles are handled in a different UI, with a minimum combine armed effect, as in Call To Power?
-- One map for strategical, and then a second map for tactical battles like in Heroes of Might and Magic or Total War (without being as detailed of course).
- For units, buildings, etc: are they all independant (each attributes needs to be edited manually for each item), or is there a concept of inheritance? For example, when I started my game, I had a notion of class/subclass/type for the units. It was possible for example to say "attack = 5 for class infantry", then "legion is the same as infantry, but with +1 for attack".
This gives a lot of flexibility, but complexify things a lot (probably too much!)

As you can see, there is a lot of things to decide before coding anything.

Open Source I'm not a strong believer of that at first. I think it requires something less public to get started and have good basis, and then later why not opening it for "expansion".

Iso square, and you would recall i supported the same in the past, cause that way you already have the tiles ready. It is less likely that we will ever get people to create fully new tilesets in hex. And in Kickstarter one has to post some decently inviting preview to get the polloi to give their nice money :p

This was just an example of the questions that need to be clearly defined by an hypothetical team before starting anything.
An other example is should we keep the type of terrain from civIII with transition between 3 terrains. Or allow "unlimited" terrain (like add ash, sand, grass, tall grass, yellow grass...) and with maybe terrain that would have less nicer transition, but more generic.

Although indeed that is not the scope of this thread (i would want to take part in one if it really is agreed we have some sort of team), i think that unlimited terrains number is not really needed. You could have a significantly large number (eg two or three times the one civ3 has) and virtually no one would ever need more. :)

An event file is always the main bonus to have.

I'm not sure we should use exactly the same files as civ3. For example, png are easier to use with C#/GDI+ than PCX. But we could use the same structure (suppose we want the same type of map, we can have the same terrain file), and then it's a simple matter of converting the format.
Some for flic.

I see what you are saying. Yes, .png files would be better than pcx in more ways than one. They are also better at saving files with transparent backgrounds.

I'm not sure about flic files. If they can be converted to something more user friendly, that'd be nice too.

The question then is "should it be exactly as civIII", or what should we change? We need to define a realistic list of changes. If it's just to end with the same limitation as civ, then you have your game, it's named civ III.

I think we should make a new and improved game that stands on its own.

-- One map for strategical, and then a second map for tactical battles like in Heroes of Might and Magic or Total War (without being as detailed of course).

Cool. Heroes of Might and Magic! Actually either one w/b good.

As you can see, there is a lot of things to decide before coding anything.

Definitely and you are right, if we are able to get a team together, someone should be named the project leader and should be able to direct and approve a design specification for the game ... before any work actually starts.

I honestly think you should be named the project leader now and that you should make a list of your basic requirements for the game features and a description of how many team members would be ideal. And what kind of budget w/b needed. And if we get enough willing team members, then we can start something up at Kickstarter and see if we can raise enough funds. Anyway, we have nothing to lose by trying. And you don't have to commit to anything unless things meet your start-up expectations...

You could even add a little to your salary for doing something like this. Maybe 47000 Euros would be better?

Anyway, I'll shut up and listen to what everyone else thinks about this...

Open Source I'm not a strong believer of that at first. I think it requires something less public to get started and have good basis, and then later why not opening it for "expansion".

Edit: Open source to me is very important and that's what I'd like to see, otherwise I don't care what happens. Different versions of an open source application can be controlled and there's no reason why an application should not be released as open source right from the beginning of the design stage. But I won't be talking about this anymore because I don't want to argue about it. I wish everyone success though on whatever they do...

The goal of the thread is not to make the full design of the would be game. just to show that the issue is not just "make a clone of CivIII" (for the record I don't want a clone with its bug and limitation), it's "make something civ like, but better on some parts (and worse on other, because a small team won't be able to compete with a large company).
And this requires defining clearly the goal and objectives, and define limits form the start.
I think it's why I did not finish when I started year ago: I did not define clearly the limits/was too ambitious.

Now, just to make it clear, I can be interested by something like this, but here are the conditions

General:
- I can work on the design, and one general architecture
- I can work on the map engine, but if I guy with good knowledge want to do that, better
- I can work on animation, but same, it may be better if someone else is ready to do that.
- I'd work only in C# (I do enough C++ at work). I think a GDI+ solution for map is easier, but if someone else wants to do XNA why not.
- I think it's easier to do something "WindowsForm" based. It may not be very sexy, but it's easier to make it functional quickly.
- I'll do something only if there is other committed members to help (especially artist). By committed, I mean someone who won't quit after 3 weeks, and can work interactively when needed (i.e. if we need test graphics, we don't it 3 months later).
- I won't do anything serious (programming-wise) before we have a good design document stating clearly the objectives, goals and limitations of the project.

"Casual version":
- I am currently busy with Napoleon Total War, and will be for at least a few more months
- After this, I could come back to something like this project, especially if there is a team to motivate each other, but my free time will be limited. So it can work only if we have a team to help.

"Semi pro version"
- I could consider it only if there was a real financing, as said before. Quite unlikely.

Anyway, except if financing, or *gasp* Firaxis accept to transfer source code, don't expect anything serious from me before I finish my NTW mod, so nothing before next year.

yes, we have plenty of graphics for units and cities, or buildings / techs.
The most important for graphics may be the maps, if it's not a simple clone.

Nothing really fancy.

By the way, I edited previous post, I had to leave "fast" and couldn't finish it.

Some very good points, Steph. Some of those aspects like motivation, complementary skills, and having a solid design first can't be stressed enough.

And I think the 42,000 Euro figure is not at all unreasonable. Considering the cost of living in France and also supporting a family at a decent standard of living, I would've been surprised by a significantly lower figure. It's also worth noting that anyone taking the semi-professional route is taking a risk that they might not be able to immediately resume at their previous salary at the end of the project (simply due to the inherent uncertainties of the market), and would have to factor a bit extra in for that as well.

I am mostly wary of such a salary due to it being highly likely (if not pretty much dead certain) that very few other people in such a project (at least if it is based on community posters here) would ask for such amounts.
Of course it also goes without saying that programming is not the same as gfx creating, and i suppose the latter can more easily be done on the side and not as a main occupation.

But i would personally find it more worthy of optimism if such a project was not really run (or meant) as a professional lifeline or something not meant to become opensource at some future time.

But i have to note again that at any rate my own contribution would only be in gfx, and so i don't view this from the same POV at all. And having some professionalism is going to attract funding far more easily than just having talented hobbyism (as in my excellent graphic creations ;) ).

It all depends how fast and commited you want people to be in the team.
If they work during free time, and already have a job, then they can work basically for free. But progress will be slow, and not constant (sometimes days without time available for the project).

But if they work "full time" (i.e. can't have a job outside), then their only income is through the financing of the project. And I have to stress that in such a case, the budget can go up very quickly.

Nice discussion here but is any serious fundraising via crowd sourcing probable? It would need about 2000 backers with an average of 50 $/€ (average full price game) to get the required money.
I know that many of you are quite committed to Civ3 but are there really so many potential full price backers out here? Always keep in mind that a lot of things have already been achieved with the existing engine for free and there are already two sequels (Civ 4+5) and a direct competitor (ctp2) with released source code.

Some assorted thoughts on the matter...

I've been following these projects since Steph announced SSS over a decade ago(!), watching as they come and go and sometimes offering my support. There's been a pretty clear trend, make an engine capable of loading a map and moving units around, people get excited, talk about how to move forward, and somewhere between that and a playable alpha the creator(s) get discouraged by lack of either progress or direction, and we add another prototype to the shelf... SSS - Humanitas - Civilization Game Toolkit - Civilization Remix - Evolution - SGF - CivQuest - Conquest - IndieCiv -

(And let's not forget FreeCiv, which besides being successful has had a Civ3 game mode on their roadmap for quite a while. Maybe we should be talking to them?)

Does that mean we shouldn't try again? I don't know, but something needs to be different. Definition of insanity and all that.

Sometime after this subject popped up again I actually started to think seriously about making an attempt of my own, not that I could do it alone, but with the right approach maybe I could start something sustainable and then let others build on it. I am a fan of open source in general but especially in this case for two reasons. One, if past attempts are any indication, when someone gives up at least their progress is not wasted because someone else can continue where they left off. Also, it supports the notion of a community game where anyone could make their own changes without arbitrary technical limitations.

Just as I started writing some code (C# with MonoGame, FWIW) Antal1987 revealed his patch breakthrough and started churning out previously impossible features. At that point I assumed a full reimplementation was obsolete and so I quietly abandoned my concept without ever announcing it.

Anyway, for the most part I agree with the points Steph is making.

I have a couple of concerns about funding. First, like Steph said, if you want someone to work on this more or less full-time it's going to cost a software engineer's salary - or more, because of the uncertainty of a one-off crowdfunding project. I just can't see our dwindling fan base raising money on that scale. What we might get is enough to buy some tools and hardware for the team or contract out some artwork. Second, introducing formal funding essentially makes this a commercial effort, which as I mentioned before could complicate any legal questions of intellectual property. That's not as relevant if we're going for a unique Civ-inspired 4X, but more so for an obvious clone.

Sort of a minor tangent but maybe worth considering is that in addition to adding in whatever you want to fix limitations of the old Civ, maybe it's also worth trying to streamline some of the existing code in order to make bigger/more complex scenarios more playable with less wait time between turns.

I'm not going to pretend to know what that entails, but I'd imagine that some of the calculations that take place between turns could probably be made more efficient in terms of the amount of time it takes to process.

Actually, we can't really do it... Since we don't have the source code.
Of course, if Firaxis/Take2 would agree to transfer the source code to a team of fan, then it makes a lot of sense.
But if they don't, we could make a kind of clone, and so everything is "ours". Then it's up to us to make it efficient from the start.

And again, I don't really see the point of a clone. If we make an exact clone, we'll end up with something worse. Simply because it will still have the limitations and flaws from the original design... and have our own flaws on top of that.

So if we make a game, it should be "inspire" by CivIII, not a clone. This means that we should make a new full design document to define what we want to do, and more importantly what we don't want. The danger in this kind of project IMO is to go in too many directions at once, be over ambitious, and not be able to finish it.
So it's better to start relatively simple. But not too much if you want a game with enough depth.

Wasn't there that whole thing a short while back where Antal1987 had found a way to access the source code? I'm not sure if he's still around though...

It's promising, but it's not the real source code anyway. So it's possible to shortcut it somehow, but I think cleaning it completely to irmprove performances may be too much in this context.

Top Bottom