Civ design challenge

My vote goes to Urdnot_Scott.

And a suggestion for next challenge's voting; would it be an idea to use a online poll system?

second vote, but only those two people, i would guess.

second vote, but only those two people, i would guess.

Yes, this. I was also considering setting up a poll in this thread for each voting period, I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.

It's Monday the 25th, which means voting for the winning Eóganachta design is complete! Here are the results:

Urdnot_Scott (6): Uighur_Caesar, Filiki Eterian, Zantonius Hamm, Danmacsch, COF, tarcisiocm
Uighur_Caesar (4): Urdnot_Scott, GPuzzle, Firebug, ruhrgebietheld
ruhrgebietheld (1): Natan35
Filiki Eterian (1): DoctorMcGann
Firebug
GPuzzle
Natan35

It was a close race between Uighur_Caesar and Urdnot_Scott, but Urdnot_Scott pulled ahead in the end and claimed his third straight victory. Congratulations to Urdnot_Scott and everybody else who participated in this design challenge and voting!

The next challenge is coming up…right now! This challenge is Kuru. Good luck everybody, and I look forward to seeing designs submitted before June first!

Kuru you say?

Mythological Kuru

Leader: Yudhisthira
UA: Chariot of the Gods: Starts the game with a SS Cockpit. Cities with Spaceship Parts produce +100% Science.
UU: Vimana: Unlocked at Optics. Must be Based on Cities, has a range of 6 and combat capacity of 10. Upgrades to Great War Bomber.
UU: Brahmastra: Must be based on a city and is destroyed after use. 8 Range and Combat Capacity of 15. Creates a small area of Fallout. Unlocked at Engineering.

Screw it, everybody's doing historical Kuru, I could as well do something silly to change the tone.

Kuru Kingdom

Leader: Janamejaya

UA: Vedic Period: Receive a unique :greatwork: Great Work of Writing for every two :greatwork: Great Works of Music. The :c5capital: capital gets a :greatwork: Great Work of Writing slot for every 10 :c5faith: faith produced.

UB: Vedi: Replaces Shrine. Has a :greatwork: Great Work of Music slot. +1 :c5faith: faith from animal resources, increases to +2 :c5faith: faith when the :greatwork: Great Work of Music slot is filled.

UGP: Guru: Replaces Great Prophet. In addition to the regular functions of the Great Prophet, the Guru may produce a unique :greatwork: Great Work of Music. Upon being expended, the Guru gives points to the generation of a :c5greatperson: Great Person of your choosing in all cities that follow your religion. Points received depend on the number of followers your religion has in that city.

During the Kuru Kingdom, the Vedas were compiled, which is what the design is centered around. The Vedas were originally spread by oral tradition before being recorded in writing, which is where the first half of the UA comes from. The second half refers to the role of kings Parikhorsehocky and Janamejaya in the arrangement of the Vedic hymns into writing and also so you have enough room for all those additional great works.

The Vedi is a sacrificial fire altar in Hinduism. Sacrificial rituals in Hinduism are called Yajna and during the Vedic Period there were several rituals that involved animal sacrifice, which is forbidden today but still done. The most important one was a special horse sacrifice ritual performed by rulers. The Vedi aren't used in animal sacrifice but having a building named after the ritual didn't feel right. Vedic hymns are also chanted during the ritual which is why there's a great work of music.

The Gurus are responsible for transmitting knowledge to students by oral tradition, which is where the music work comes from. Great People points also come from this idea of spreading knowledge to religious followers.

I disapprove of giving a Hindu civ a Guru UU. I'm a bit of a Sikhophile, I think they deserve that, if anyone.

I agree with McGann, the UA is a tad too powerful. I do, however, really like it! Very synergistic, flavourful, and incredibly unique.

Kuru you say?

UA: Chariot of the Gods: Starts the game with a SS Cockpit. Cities with Spaceship Parts produce +100% Science.
UU: Vimana: Unlocked at Optics. Must be Based on Cities, has a range of 6 and combat capacity of 10. Upgrades to Great War Bomber.
UU: Brahmastra: Must be based on a city and is destroyed after use. 8 Range and Combat Capacity of 15. Unlocked at Engineering.

:p

I may or may not post a more serious entry later this week...

Consider that Arjuna destroy an akshauhini of Kaurava armies in a rampage in a day (consisting of 21,870 chariots; 21,870 elephants; 65,610 cavalry and 109,350 infantry). It's less "fictional" as one may thought. IMO, it should have ranged UU with about 200 strength which can shoot for 4 times each turn... unlocked at Philosophy :lol:

But the epic of Kurukshetra War is more or less a war with dozen of ridiculously powerful demigod, million of mooks; horses and elephants for each side. :)

I am interested in making a more reasonable (and not overpowered) Kuru, but I am horribly out of idea right now. I would give my idea if I can think of it.

I made a design for a Kuru civ a few months back. I'm going to post it here!

Kuru Kingdom - Parikhorsehocky
Vedic Rites - For every 10 faith per turn gain +2 Culture in the Capital. For every 20 Faith per turn receive a free Great Writer.

Vedi (Shrine) - +1 Faith and a Great Work of Writing Slot. A Purohita appears upon construction.

Purohita (Missionary) - Can spread religion 2 times. Or can be placed on a horse or sheep resource to perform a sacrifice to gain a large amount of faith.

Be the first to religion, build a shrine, use the Purohita and gain a boost to your faith in that race for religion.

Top Bottom