New SG!!! Regent? Emperor?

This will allow them to start off in the beginning when things are less complicated.

Actually these are the most importent turns :). Well, i will look from the far an toss a word or two in between :)

@yoshi -- you've given me sound advice before, will be happy to hear any tidbits you'd like to offer.

@everyone else -- with pindicators problems, I'm now leaning towards waiting for the patch to give him some time, I just fear that if it takes more than a couple days to release, that we'll lose our players. It seems to happen all to often in these SG's, or at least in the threads I've been lurking in. ;)

If the patch is something one of us really wants to wait for, I'll hang out for a bit. Depending on what ails pindicator, that could take additional time. Sure hope it's NOT the OS. I agree with SesnOfWthr we may lose this group if it drags out too long.

Yeah. It would be a lot easier if we knew when the patch was coming out.

@pindicator. This problem happened to me. Depending on your situation, this might work. Press "esc" just before the intro movie plays. This worked for me.

One thing we could try would be to at least get the game started at 4000 BC and hold it there. Post a screen shot so we could do some starting terrain analysis for the capital, and talk build order, tech direction, and then check the Space Race to verify our AI players. Could do some threat assessment there. That way if we do patch and pinidicator can go, we can jump out of the gate.

thanks for the advise conqueror. I tried to do the escape trick, but no luck. I guess it's crashing before the movie, then...

Anyway, today I uninstalled, defragged and reinstalled, and it still crashes...

But here's the real quandry: when I went to install the 1.15 patch (because I was thinking of trying the no-CD patch and hopefully that would work) the patch installer does not install the patch, but install uninstalls C3C!!??!?! I'm gonna browse through the tech support forum and see if that problem has come up there also.

Thanks for waiting on me, and I will definitely help out with any pre-game analysis, but if this does not get fixed soon I can always just shadow the game.

By the way, what is the timetable for 1.20 to come out?

I'm pretty sure with the beta patches that you need to install them in order. Starting with v1.00 installed from the CD, first install v1.12, then v1.13, then finally v1.15.

I say we wait until Friday for v1.20 and then get started. The whole idea of starting a v1.20 was in case there was something in a v1.15 save that would be kept when playing at v1.20. Starting the game at 4000 BC and posting the screenshot would be equivalent to playing a few rounds IMHO.

Also to skip the openeing sequence, you can add the following line to your conquests.ini file :

PlayIntro=0

While you're there, you should aslo add

KeepRes=1

This will use the current resolution of your monitor when playing c3c, instead of the deafult (assuming your desktop resolution is bigger than 1024*786).

Reg

Reg -- Although I know little to nothing about the tech aspects of these games, I can tell you that when I bought C3C a month or so ago, I only had to install v1.15b. Now, that doesn't mean that you don't want to install them in order, only that I didn't have to.

At any rate, I'm also up for some early analysis - will M60 be generating the start position as per Conquistidor's earlier post?

FWIW - my name is Wes if you don't wanna deal w/ typing SesnOfWthr.

I wasn't quite clear on that facet of SG protocol myself. Being the first time at this, I wasn't sure if Conqueror was going to post, and I'd start from there, or if I'd do the start. I'm ready to roll either way. On the install, I also went straight to 1.15 w/o issue. I think at least getting a starting position up on the board would help keep this discussion going, rather than us all just staying silent til Friday waiting for P- (Patch) Day. With or without, anyone have thoughts on first research item? I would say WC based on our UU. Crank up the science to pull it in ASAP. Otherwise hope we can pull it early on in a trade based on opponent.

What I really think is odd about it, though, is that the 1.15b installer asks to delete files and will delete my Conquests program if I let it.... Does this mean that possibly something has gone wrong with my disk and it's not installing correctly? I've also noticed that the autorun off the C3C CD does not have the option Play C3C nor does it have the option to Uninstall, but instead just has the option to Install. Possibly is the CD bad and not installing correctly?? Do any of those things seem abnormal to anybody else?

@pindicator

I doubt your CD's have any problem. Maybe you tried before to install the patch, reinstalled conquest because it didn't worked right and than again installed the patch.
Note: The patch is not automaticly removed, when comquest is removed. When used again, we actually runs the patch-uninstall, which i think is the behavior you mention. Had some trouble myself with the patch.
So make sure the patch is uninstalled, reinstall conquests and than apply the patch. Then it should work.

Originally posted by pindicator
What I really think is odd about it, though, is that the 1.15b installer asks to delete files and will delete my Conquests program if I let it.... Does this mean that possibly something has gone wrong with my disk and it's not installing correctly? I've also noticed that the autorun off the C3C CD does not have the option Play C3C nor does it have the option to Uninstall, but instead just has the option to Install. Possibly is the CD bad and not installing correctly?? Do any of those things seem abnormal to anybody else?

This sounds to me like thee C3C install may have crashed before it completed and wasn't able to update the registry with the information that it had completed the install. If you go into Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs is C3C Conquests in the list of installed programs after you finish installing C3C?

Reg

Yeah, C3C shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list. I decided to uninstall it from there, and reinstalled again, and now at least I get the Play C3C option off the CD, and the 1.15 install doesn't ask to delete files... but the game still crashes upon running.

I dunno.... running out of avenues to even persue. I guess I'll just wait until the atari support returns my email. Should be by tomorrow, if they stay true to their 4 business day response time.

Pin, I imagine they'll ask you this anyways, but after you uninstalled, re- installed from disk, and BEFORE you loaded 1.15, would the game run upon selecting the play option? That might narrow it down to the patch itself, or at least eliminate it from consideration.

Nice catch on the incomplete install, Reg!

Originally posted by pindicator
I dunno.... running out of avenues to even persue. I guess I'll just wait until the atari support returns my email. Should be by tomorrow, if they stay true to their 4 business day response time.

I'll quite the pessimist, so my guess is that the e-mail from Atari Tech Support says "I suggest you un-install both the v1.15 patch and the original install and the re-install from scratch."

( Yes, I'm aware you likely told them you already tried that in your e-mail to them )

Just a guess. :)

Reg

Inasmuch as tomorrow is the start day without the 1.20 patch, I've got a settler standing by to hit the dirt. If the patch does come out before tomorrow night, I'll just toss this start, patch, and start a fresh one. I was looking over the 1.20 patch thread. Not getting a sense something is about to happen. We'll see. No one seems to have a preference for conditions beside Reg, so I've gone with his. AI aggression normal. I'll post the start position early tomorrow evening if you have suggestions on any needed move. As it stands with the current load, we drew the following AI opponents:

Aztec, Inca, Iroquois, America, Greece, Germany, and Korea.

CQ, we going with 24 hrs to "Got it" and 48 to play?

hi all,
is there room for one more?I've got a few victories on emperor but I haven't played on a SG before... :)

No word from tech support yet.... You guys can go ahead and start without me whenever you want to; but I'll still be around to help in any discussion / strategizing.

We are ready to roll, I think. (First time trying this, hope you see something!) Here's our starting position. Made-to-order settler factory. My plan is to send the settler 1 tile NE, and have the worker mine the tile he's on. Then road, move to the wheat, irrigate/road, move to the second wheat tile in the fog and again, irrigate/road. Lay down the Capital on turn 1, work the game tile. Start with a couple warrior recon boys to scout out the ground. I believe that is a gem tile 2 SW, and moving the settler away will take us out of it's range, but I think we'll be in a position to claim it. With some AI scouts running around, don't know how soon to expect first contact. When we have one, I'll send one of warriors out to try and establish exactly where the other border is.

Top Bottom