COTM 120 Celts Emperor - 1st Spoiler - End of ancient times

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
This thread is for your reports of events and progress in COTM 120 Celts Emperor up to the date where you are able to research a Medieval tech.

Do not read or post in this thread until you meet this condition. You may reveal Medieval bonus techs from the end of the last Ancient turn and discuss your plans for continuing the game.

Please do not post information here relating to later dates, and please only post maps of your home area and no minimaps.

COTM120

Worker on gold hill, sees that a 4–turner is not possible there in AA. Hmm.

Decide to settle 1SW.
3950 capital
Build a warrior and a 2nd worker. Set up for a 4-turn SF. Full on Alpha, then Writing.
2310 2nd town 3NW.
Meet Ports. No trades. Surprisingly i am in the lead on f11 already…
2230 3rd town 1E1SE
2190 meet Mayans, trade CB for 20g
2030 first curragh
1990 4th town 3N
1950 first to Writing
1910 5th town 2S--- pops hut and gets me BW!
1830 meet Rome. I resist the very tempting offer for 2 slaves.
1675 3E2SE
Romans and Mayans obviously at war.
1650 can´t resist any longer, trade Wri for 3 slaves and IW… see iron right next to cap.
Connect 1st lux
1500 see first barbs, faraway from my lands
Trade CoL with 3 turns left for Philo…
1450 first to Philo, free Rep
1425 2nd lux connected
1375 revolt,
1325 Republic
1000 hut gives Lit

QSC stats:
1 city, 9 towns, 34 pop
125 land
426 gold
9 workers, 5 slaves, 24 warriors, 2 curraghs
5 rax, 1 temple, 1 gran
Know 3 AI civs

950 meet Incans. They have MM+Poly+Curr, quite surprisingly.
925 meet Ottos. They already know Republic :eek:
900 iron connected. upgrade 6 gallics.
800 meet Persia, declare on Maya
775 start GA, take Chichen Itza
690 Maya destroyed
510 3rd lux connected
490 meet Russians. Enter MA.

on my way to a Celtic conquest... tbc

t_x

Settler SW.
3950bc Found Entremont.
2800bc Alphabet. Meet Mayans.
2630bc 4-Turn Settler factory operational. Meet Portugese.
2590bc Meet Ottomans.
2350bc Found Alesia.
2190bc Found Lugdunum.
2030bc Found Camulodunum.
1870bc Writing. Trade for Masonry and BW.
1790bc Found Richborough.
1700bc Found Verulamium. Gems connected. Mayans DoW us.
1625bc Found Gergovia.
1525bc Found Augustodurum.
1475bc CoL.
1425bc Wine connected. Found Agedincum.
1350bc Philosophy and The Republic.
1275bc Trade for MM, WC, Mathematics.
1250bc Found Eboracum. Contact Romans. Trade for Wheel, Mysticism, IW.
1200bc Literature. Trade for HBR.
1175bc Found Burdigala.
1075bc Found Cataractonium.
1000bc Construction. Trade for Currency, Polytheism, Engineering.

1000bc Stats:
12 towns
30pops
All AA Techs except Monarchy. Engineering.
12 workers
1 curragh
1 galley
1 GS
14 Warriors
1 Settler
1 Granary
3 Barracks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 297
cotm 120.jpg

heres a couple of turns after my MA!

I always forget to save upon MA.

I did not get a 4 turn SF, good job to those who figured to go for 4 turn SF!
Did create 2 curraghs, but barbs sunked them.
I also got 3 workers killed by barbs.
I did manage to get free Rep though.
As you can see, I noticed my Cap is on top if Iron.
and Maya DoW to me, so I am starting to finish him now.

What does AA mean templar_X?

AA=Ancient Age, lifetap :)
t_x

Più Freddo;14155456 said:
A little surprise from me! It would be utterly pointless to play Celts without Iron nearby!

It is really a surprise! especially for someone who builds on the start loc! :))

Cities:
  • 3950 BC Entremont
  • 2850 BC Alesia
  • 2190 BC Lugdunum
  • 1700 BC Camulodunum
  • 1700 BC Richborough
  • 1350 BC Verulamium
  • 1100 BC Gergovia
  • 800 BC Augustodurum
  • 510 BC Agedincum
  • 310 BC Eboracum
  • [210 BC Verulamium Settler-abandoned, Burdigala founded to replace it]
Tile-improvement and build-orders:

Roads and irrigation took priority over mining for most of the early phase of the game, since most of the first-founded towns were growing fast and I wanted the newborn citizens to have improved tiles to work. Because the Luxes were well out of my initial BFCs, and on highlands, I did not hook them until I had towns nearby and Worker-pairs to spare for it. Until then, to keep the peace, I generally built an Axe, a Worker on the first growth to Pop2, whipped a Temple out once a town had put 10s in the box and regrown to Pop2+ a second time, and used LUX%=10-20, or Geeked unhappy citizens when nothing else worked. I also built a Gran in Entremont, to knock out Settlers every time it started getting unmanageably unhappy, but still regrow quickly.

Military was initially kept fairly minimal, but my Axes had a lot of bad luck vs barbs (especially during the uprisings), so I was mostly building replacement Axes, and Workers and Settlers during the early phase, with the occasional Rax. I deliberately left the Iron unhooked so I could build Axes for cheap mil-pol and Barb-hunting, and hooked up the Horses first so that I could field fast-attack units that were cheaper than GSwords, to fight barbs, and ward off any DoWs made by AICivs before I was ready for my GA.

Exploration/ Diplomacy:
  • 2590 BC Meet Romans
  • 1990 BC Meet Maya
  • 1575 BC Meet Ottomans
  • 1200 BC Meet Portuguese
  • 630 BC DoW Ottomans (in the hope that they'd make some alliances and break my GPT-payments)
  • 590 BC Ottomans sign MA with Maya (thanks!)
  • 530 BC Ottomans sign MA with Portugal
  • 430 BC PT signed with Maya
  • 390 BC Refuse tribute-demand from Romans -- they DoW
  • 290 BC PT signed with Portugal
  • 250 BC Meet Inca
General policy in the Ancient Age was to keep the peace and trade for techs until I had a decent base built up. However, by around Turn 60, it was clear that there wasn't a lot of good land, at least at my end of the map, so I gave up on the idea of a 100K win -- which left Dom/Conquest. So even before the Romans DoW'd, I had already started upgrading the Warriors I had left, building Raxes, Horses and GSwords, and moving them to the landbridge connecting my section to the 'mainland'. I signed a PT with Osman in 230 AD (he paid me!), and my GA began in 210 AD, when I auto-razed Lutetia. I plan to use the GA shields to build/upgrade as many GSwords as I can (using the disconnect/reconnect trick if need be) before I get Feudalism. Once I get it, I'll revolt, then finish rolling over at least the first couple of AICivs at minimal SCI%, maximal TAX% for upgrades. The Romans already put themselves in the firing line, Smoke is next, then Osman and Henry. I'll probably need Chivalry/ Knights by the time I get as far as the Inca, though.

Techs/Wonders:

I didn't bother trying for the Republic-sling because I didn't think I'd get it (my mistake, obviously). I went for Bronze+Iron first to see if I had any Iron available, then prioritised first the cheapest techs to research, then the one(s) that the AICivs I'd met hadn't yet got.
  • 3300 BC BronzeWork
  • 2390 BC IronWork
  • 1990 BC Masonry
  • 1700 BC WarCode
  • 1550 BC Wheel
  • 1400 BC Myst
  • 1225 BC HbR
    • 1200 BC Alph bought from Romans
    • 1025 BC Portuguese build SoZ
  • 875 BC Poly
    • 850 BC Writing+Maths bought from Ottomans, Philo bought from Porties, Mapmaking bought from Smoke
    • 800 BC CoL bought from Romans, Currency bought from Mayans
    • 730 BC Mayans, Ottomans and Porties enter Middle-Age (pretty sure they swapped their techs for Construction, which Osman wouldn't sell me)
    • 710 BC Inca (still uncontacted) build Pyramids
    • 690 BC Persians (still uncontacted) build Oracle
    • 490 BC Portuguese build MoM
    • 470 BC Russians (still uncontacted) build ToA
  • 470 BC Lit (as bargaining chip)
    • 450 BC Maya build GWall
    • 430 BC Romans (obtain Construction and) enter Mid-Age
    • 250 BC Construction bought from Inca, we enter Mid-Age
The Ottomans got Engineering as their freebie, but all the AICivs spent their first 25-30T of the Mid-Age researching Republic (and/or presumably also Monarchy), and then revolting, so I'm actually not that far behind them, tech-wise. I may try extracting Republic for a PT (which I'll then break) before they can start running away from me (taking their cities should also help...). I'm researching Feudalism, currently due in 17T at SCI%=80, but I can/should slow that down to put upgrade-cash in the bank, and give me more time to get a SunTzu prebuild going. I'm seriously considering adopting Feudalism as my next government -- although Ducts are cheap for the Celts, Settlers and GSwords/Maces are cheaper. So if my towns are going to grow fast but then stall at Pop6 anyway, I might as well have the high free unit support, the ability to whip stuff, and no WW. With max 2T Anarchy per revolution guaranteed, I can always go to Rep later, if I need to earn more cash/ do more research.
Spoiler :
My cities as of the latest savegame, in 210 BC. I plan to found 3-4 more 1st- and 2nd-ring towns in my homeland, before starting to send Settlers abroad to colonise freed-up space. My FP has been buildable for ~5T now, but I have not started it yet: I'm hoping to build it on the mainland, using an MGL.

Attachments

• CFC COTM 120 Celtic Empire 210 BC.jpg
    CFC COTM 120 Celtic Empire 210 BC.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 259
I settled in place.
Went for b.w then i.w.
Then -》great library (got it)and Full tax.
4 fs is 4 turns pr settler i take it. Was this without granery?
And how are you able to catch the one turn to trade sci, before the ai's do it between each other?
Oh Well. Was Lucky that there was Iron this time.

Top Bottom