Venice: A really good time

Newbstep

Chieftain
So I started my first game as Venice, a Civ that I avoided because I like to conquer and settle and all that. Took me a while to go for it. And I'm having a really good time.

I have realized it adds a completely different game to this game being dominant as a Civ that cannot settle lands at will. It takes the Great Merchant or sheer will to succeed as a combatant or diplomat. As a player that avoids cultural victories, Venice allows a massive "tall" strategy that I haven't really gotten into. It's all about being a monetary powerhouse that spans oceans with ease once economical strategy is set in place.

All I can say is everyone should give it a shot. It feels more like our current reality, and while you could be easily conquered it helps develop defensive skills unlike any other civ on this game.

Any good stories from those that chose the dark side?

People complain (rightly and otherwise) about Venice - it's not exactly a multiplayer powerhouse, for example.

That said, at least it's a thoroughly different playstyle. I'd say that everyone should try Venice at least once.

Venice is challenging particularly in mp where people love to expand, attack and do rushes.

That said, at least it's a thoroughly different playstyle. I'd say that everyone should try Venice at least once.

It took me a few times.

1st phase: Break them in like I do every civ for my first go, aim for SV. Result: Frustration.

2nd phase: Abuse the UA. Get as many CS as possible. Result: Frustration.

3rd phase: Read what the CFC forums say about how to play Venice. Result: Now I think I get it!

I'd say that everyone should try Venice until you feel like you have figured them out. For Diplo, they are EZ mode if your map is not terrible. I can do cheesy SV with them now too. I still find them more annoying to play than interesting. I cannot come close to CV or Dom at Deity.

Top Bottom