G-Minor CXIII

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Warlord
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Tiny Islands
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Byzantium (Theodora)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 17th January to 1st February 2016
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Got a T192 (191) victory, Tradition/Liberty mix. Not the best idea on islands it seems, as it can take a long time to find and ally a cultural CS. I had a rather slow start, 3 self-founded cities + captured Amsterdam with Dromons and a warrior, NC T96, Education around T120. I don't like teching on islands so I won't be retrying this.

My religion was Desert Folklore/+2 faith from wonders/+15% production/Tithe/+100 gold when converting a city/+30% range. I had a LOT of gold coming from religion in late Medieval-early Renaissance. I'm sure there are other good belief combinations to take as Byzantium, but if I were replaying this, I'd pick Tithe and +100 gold again.

The map is quite big, but it's hard to find good city locations. I think it's a good idea to kill a neighbour or two early, as capitals seem to be given the best land and you want some ships to explore the map anyway.

Got a T192 (191) victory, Tradition/Liberty mix. Not the best idea on islands it seems, as it can take a long time to find and ally a cultural CS. I had a rather slow start, 3 self-founded cities + captured Amsterdam with Dromons and a warrior, NC T96, Education around T120. I don't like teching on islands so I won't be retrying this.

Yeah, this isn't my favorite Gauntlet,...

Start is slow,...the one piece of advice I would give to everyone is to not deprive themselves of scouts or some other land unit to compliment your sea exploration. I went Dromon crazy for obvious reasons, but then I looked up at about Turn 100 and I still had tons of ruins on the board. The snowball effect of getting those ruins early would have certainly enhanced my game. It makes sense to not make land units early when your not going anywhere (island),..But in hindsight it is smart to have units ready to go as soon as you get Optics.

Anyone would figure this out, but the start is so tedious that maybe I could save someone a few hours.

So nice to get my earlier wish of Vadalaz (other regulars) playing Gauntlets again, and posting early scores. Although, I do think is is kinda funny that he finally gets a Deity Gauntlet, and decides to play the Warlord first...:)

-

Hi Vadalaz - could you record one of your play throughs? I'd learn a lot. No commentary needed.

I'm always impressed by your times.

I tried once but couldn't get it to work. I'll try again for the next G-Minor. This computer's pretty old though. Will have to upgrade this year for Civ 6. :)

Top Bottom