How to protect data in google drive?

rhinokick

Chieftain
I've been using google drive for years now, using it at work and at home too. So far I have not experienced any problem with the app, but are my data really secured? if something goes wrong, how can i prevent data loss? is there a software or something that i need to protect my data?

What do you mean by "secure"? Like "won't get data loss or corruption", or "secure from unauthorized access"?

Regarding the former:

You should make offline (i.e. not connected to any systems except when being backed up) backups... Google is very good at not losing data, so there's probably a far greater risk that your account gets compromised on your end, and your data wiped or made inaccessible because of that.

Other than guarding against that, I dunno that I'd bother with further backups - for secure data, you need to have offsite copies (in case of catastrophic destruction of location where data is kept) and some kind of system to maintain file integrity (e.g. ZFS or SnapRAID). That's fairly ponderous for a home user to setup, but Google already does all of that.

Regarding the latter:

Google's pretty high-security with their data centres and fairly resistant to social engineering attacks, but the data isn't encrypted on their servers. Regular Joe has nothing to worry about other than losing account access due to their own poor security practices. (Re-using passwords with other accounts, not using 2-factor authentication, installing keyloggers, etc.) If you're doing anything that could run you afoul of the government of the country you reside in, or of any other highly-resourceful nationstate or organization, you should be using open source tools encrypted cloud platforms. (I like SpiderOak)

What do you mean by "secure"? Like "won't get data loss or corruption", or "secure from unauthorized access"?

Regarding the former:

You should make offline (i.e. not connected to any systems except when being backed up) backups... Google is very good at not losing data, so there's probably a far greater risk that your account gets compromised on your end, and your data wiped or made inaccessible because of that.

Other than guarding against that, I dunno that I'd bother with further backups - for secure data, you need to have offsite copies (in case of catastrophic destruction of location where data is kept) and some kind of system to maintain file integrity (e.g. ZFS or SnapRAID). That's fairly ponderous for a home user to setup, but Google already does all of that.

Regarding the latter:

Google's pretty high-security with their data centres and fairly resistant to social engineering attacks, but the data isn't encrypted on their servers. Regular Joe has nothing to worry about other than losing account access due to their own poor security practices. (Re-using passwords with other accounts, not using 2-factor authentication, installing keyloggers, etc.) If you're doing anything that could run you afoul of the government of the country you reside in, or of any other highly-resourceful nationstate or organization, you should be using open source tools encrypted cloud platforms. (I like SpiderOak)

I'm kinda aiming for both (prevent unauthorized access and file corruption). I'm not good at this kind of stuff so I decided to ask around and you seem pretty knowledgeable. In fact, I'm a bit dumb-founded with all this lol. You mentioned something about "open source tools encrypted cloud platforms so I searched online about it and it came up with cloud security. Never knew that existed. So what does this do? I checked netskope but just can't seem to figure things out. I think they're more of into bigger companies instead of home use right? Can you recommend other cloud security programs that can be used just for home users?

I'm not familiar with netskope, it does look like it's a business solution, not a consumer service.

Like I said, SpiderOak is my recommendation for encrypted file syncing. (i.e. essentially Dropbox, but encrypted.)

Unless you're concerned about government snooping, Google Drive is fine for the most part. Make sure not to re-use passwords, use two-factor authentication with your Google account, and probably keep an offline backup of all your Google Drive data.

I have to agree completely with Zelig: Google is much better that you at ng data from loss and corruption.
At the same time they take data security seriously, nobody (else than themselves and authorities) can have any access.
As Zelig wrote is much more likely that the account gets compromised on the user's end.

If you want one additional layer of (privacy) security, you can upload & synch only encrypted files and folders.

For the files I care the most I do synch to GoogleDrive but also create a local backup on a removable drive.

At the same time they take data security seriously, nobody (else than themselves and authorities) can have any access.

Aren't there equivalent services available outside of America that wouldn't be accessible to the feds? I have no idea, but I thought that there were.

Top Bottom