Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

I only play on eternity and it's adequately balanced, if you can ignore that most of the map will be explored during prehistoric and then populated everywhere during classical era.

And even this is influenced by the # of AI you select and what set up Options you choose that may allow more AI into the game.

JosEPh

I guess if I started over on Snail it would be finished in the same, or less time than finishing my current game. I'd assumed that Snail or faster would be too fast based on what I've seen on Eon's. My difficulty level (prince) seems to be a bit too low too anyway, so I'm going to take that advice and start a new game. I'm so far ahead of the AI that my current game just isn't interesting anymore. I guess I can make use of that increasing diffculty thing and start at prince and allow it to advance 2 or 3 times 1000 turns apart. I also have the GnK expansion to Civ5 I haven't even played yet.

Still I think what I had to say may be of interest to help balance Eons setting. I still think it would be the ideal speed to play at if it were set up right. I even thought about moving to Eternity.

Don't make assumptions about pace of game on other game speeds till you've tried them. While snail has less turns than Eon or eternity (crazy amount of turn on this one) the pacing/game flow is probably better. And for Every gamespeed what you select for starting # of AI and your choice of Game Set up Options will directly effect the game speed balance.

The last serious balncing done was when ls612 was still a Team member and he was actively working on gamespeed balancing. The members of the current Team now and back then all have their own projects and Balance isn't really a priority for them till their projects get finished. That's just how it is.

JosEPh

The largest imbalance I see right now isn't in the amount of gold produced, it is in the ridiculously fast advancement of techs. I'm at 5000 BC in my game and have tech of around 400 AD. I'm about 1/3rd of the way complete with my technology tree while only about 1/8th of the way finished with the game. I haven't even had that high of a scientific output compared to what is normal. At a minimum I think most of the techs should take twice as long to complete. The prehistoric age I think is mostly ok but as each age comes on it seems to get worse and worse. Stuff now only takes me 3-4 turns to research in Aon's setting, far less time than most buildings. I think the building times are ok though. Early ancient age seems to be about the right amount of an increase over Prehistoric but classical and medieval don't have nearly large enough of a jump. Maybe double the cost of classical techs and 2.5 times the cost in medieval. I'm not sure about stuff past medieval yet as I haven't reached it but I'm guessing the problem continues. Of course in reality I know that technology after around 1700 grew at a rapid pace and I don't have a problem with the idea of science coming as fast in that time frame as I'm seeing now in medieval. It just shouldn't be this fast in Medieval.

On the gold thing I think it is a simple fix that maintenance costs don't increase as much as they probably should. Larger cities should have a larger maintenance cost regardless. Military upkeep should be a bit higher, civics also to a lesser extent. It is a minor problem though compared to the larger problem of too much science.
To give an alternative perspective to Joe's outlook:

I haven't played Eons gamespeed so he may be right that there could be an imbalance somewhere. BUT... In some recent reworking of cost progressions I've noticed the chart may be a little to flat around the era you're mentioning, as in it may not be gaining as much cost to research each tech as quickly as it should at that time to keep up with the game flow. So you may be right about that. I did some late game smoothing but wondered how the Classical/Medieval/Rennaissance eras were going to be faring. Might have to do some work here soon to get the tech research costs to follow the same arc of progress as the revamped build cost chart to help smooth that out properly.

That said, until we are pretty much done messing with the rest of the mod, rebalancing the time progression is a nearly pointless task that needs to be done and redone constantly if it is to be kept up with the rest of the adjustments taking place. And it's not easily done in the first place. So it's just a flawed dating system (maybe) and it's going to be for a long time.

Right now the main out of whack thing is Education not being consumed at all by population. And the AI not playing very well.

You're also right about some maintenance costs imo. Will look into that at some point. At the moment, I'm planning to instil some much more intense gold costs on later game units which could help some.

There are still a couple of things we have wanted in C2C from the beginning that affect the first couple of eras. Mostly it is stuff from the White Lies, Black Ops mod. The extensions to diplomacy have minimal affect in the first two eras though that is where the ground work is laid. One thing that would be good would be to add the ability to pay off a stack of barbarians and send them towards another nation.

Scotland Yard is listed as a National Wonder with a limit of 1. It can only be built by a Great Spy. But after building one, I received another Great Spy and I was allowed to build another Scotland Yard in another city. As intended or bug?

Scotland Yard is listed as a National Wonder with a limit of 1. It can only be built by a Great Spy. But after building one, I received another Great Spy and I was allowed to build another Scotland Yard in another city. As intended or bug?

Great People buildings are a special case. They have a bad habit of ignoring parts of the XML. In particular the number you can build and the requirements for the building.:lol:

I have done a little bit of work to change the Great Spy buildings to be about espionage and Scotland Yard to be about crime fighting. It has not been released but eventually Scotland Yard will be only be available to cultures in Britain and will be replaced by Interpol for European cultures and FBI for USA etc. (Federal Police here in Australia).

There will be equivalent espionage buildings for the Great Spy to build MI5/6, CIA, ASIO, KGB and so on.

why are events set off for singleplayer and set at a really low chance. nope is the only farting around chance I get with every release and needs formatting.

why are events set off for singleplayer and set at a really low chance. nope is the only farting around chance I get with every release and needs formatting.

Got to have examples first ok, there are like 1000 events otherwise . . . .

Wooden Palisade upgrades to a Fort. Forts cannot be built next to each other, but WP can. What happens when 2 WP upgrade at the same time, do you only get the option of upgrading one?

Since WP can be built next to each other, this means you can build a ship canal across any distance with just WPs. Mistake or just not noticed? Should WPs also have the minimum distance of 2 or allow them to be used for this continent spanning ship canal?

I believe only one of them will upgrade and then the other will be made invalid... which one upgrades first will simply be a matter of which one the code checks first which will probably be the one that is BUILT first (provided both are equally manned s that's a prereq for upgrade.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosEPh_II
You whole problem lies in the red highlight. Eon is unbalanced and has been for ages. Move to Snail or Marathon for better balance. Even Epic is more balanced than Eon!

JosEPh

I guess if I started over on Snail it would be finished in the same, or less time than finishing my current game. I'd assumed that Snail or faster would be too fast based on what I've seen on Eon's. My difficulty level (prince) seems to be a bit too low too anyway, so I'm going to take that advice and start a new game. I'm so far ahead of the AI that my current game just isn't interesting anymore. I guess I can make use of that increasing diffculty thing and start at prince and allow it to advance 2 or 3 times 1000 turns apart. I also have the GnK expansion to Civ5 I haven't even played yet.

Still I think what I had to say may be of interest to help balance Eons setting. I still think it would be the ideal speed to play at if it were set up right. I even thought about moving to Eternity.

I struggled with similair problems as you guys, and probebly more people do, I solved it by first playing on snail and then i raised the difficulty level. The thing is I was/am looking for a difficulty where me as a player and the AI has the same bonuses.
What i did was to change the speed to snai and then started to play on king or emperor.
Then I removed the mastery winning check so that the game wouldnt stop after an age. But with snail and emperor it wouldt. Try also experiment with different combat options and other smaller options. (units per tile etc. more troops cost more money, Max wonders per city, cultural wonders shouldnt spread after hostile takeover)

Now when i play i mostly think about, why a city can´t build an "Sized up" unit so that i don´t have to build three and then merge units all the time. (I always play with a 3 unit maximum per square).
Why dosn´t Sweden exist? ;)
And wouldnt it be cool if you somehow could travel in boats on rivers.
Plus more things off that (smaller) caliber.

BR Loffas

Top Bottom