Caveman2Cosmos for Civ 5

Wow, 0AD looks very impressive for a free game!

I like the hexes I think and it adds to the war aspect of the game. Along the same vein I love the undoing of the "stacks of death" so far.
Hexes are nice, but there are more important features that would improve tactical combat missing. Look at Alpha Centauri : it has Zones of Control, probes, and solves the SoD issue better IMHO (if you didn't knew : all the units in a stack suffer collateral damage when one unit in the stack is killed, unless they are in a base, so having one single big stack is a quick way to lose many units at once).

I would rather mod another game before selling out to Sid stupid ideas. Sorry I have to say that. I do not have the just one more turn experience any more. The latest ideas are revisions on a progressively dumber idea. If someone could get NIF files working in an open source environment I would jump. Besides the map debate is stupid. There is free GIS maps out there where we can dump the square or hex completely and show something more spatially accurate. GIS if you don't know is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_information_system

Yes it would be more complicated, but easier to maintain since tons of software is out there for it instead of some closed off map created by cash cows.

How serious is the idea of creating Caveman2Cosmos as a stand alone game?

Again, I would love to help with Caveman2Cosmos in any way, whether its with this mod or a stand alone game. If someone could point me in the right direction to he

I love the depth of building different cultures in this mod but I would like to see it expanded even more. I would love it if their were more cultures with unique units/buildings and maybe have culture trees. For example:

Britannic(sp?)-> Britons or Caledonians or Gaels

Caledonians-> Scots

Gaels -> Irish

Britons -> English

I'm not saying those are completely accurate and should be used for a final change but I think it would be cool to have something along those lines

Ok, I always think independence is better than having to serve or respect commercial interests.
If the engine parts are out there, you say they have just to be put together? Sounds interesting and if the final effect is just C2C with better engine I am all with you...

Aside, I just got a bit poetic and so, whatever engine we're civing on:

Playing Civ is a lot like surfing. It's about finding that perfect one wave, that one game that's just is right and has it all. C2C will be our surfboard along the way searching and finally riding it into space and beyond time.

Spoiler :
Edit: this quote may sound a bit like a commentary of a student of RoM founder, master Confucius Zappara to his works, regarding my signature below, if you match them after another lol

How serious is the idea of creating Caveman2Cosmos as a stand alone game?

Again, I would love to help with Caveman2Cosmos in any way, whether its with this mod or a stand alone game. If someone could point me in the right direction to he

I would be up for it, but it would need a dedicated team of at least:

2 X content designer types (Hydro/DH/SO types)
1 X graphics/game shell developer (we don't have this person even if everyone on the current team was interested)
1 X game engine core feature developer (AIAndy's work fits best here - we'd probably base EVERYTHING on an underpinning of a generic property type system IMO, though it would surface through the UI as happyness/health/etc.)
1 X AI developer (probably me)

I think it would also take at least a year to go from starting to having a sensibly playable prototype. That would be a year when those people were not available for current C2C also.

I would be up for it, but it would need a dedicated team of at least:

2 X content designer types (Hydro/DH/SO types)
1 X graphics/game shell developer (we don't have this person even if everyone on the current team was interested)
1 X game engine core feature developer (AIAndy's work fits best here - we'd probably base EVERYTHING on an underpinning of a generic property type system IMO, though it would surface through the UI as happyness/health/etc.)
1 X AI developer (probably me)

I think it would also take at least a year to go from starting to having a sensibly playable prototype. That would be a year when those people were not available for current C2C also.
I would be up for it as well.
In the game engine core I'd even go for generic game objects with generic properties, some kind of views on the game objects and the possibility to tag modifiers to everything that are game objects themselves again (still wild thoughts but it would be fun I think).

All I can say about Civ 5 is that the hexes and graphics were nice... and then I went back to Civ 4 and the mods that it has.

Civ 5 didn't even come close.

I would rather mod another game before selling out to Sid stupid ideas. Sorry I have to say that. I do not have the just one more turn experience any more. The latest ideas are revisions on a progressively dumber idea. If someone could get NIF files working in an open source environment I would jump. Besides the map debate is stupid. There is free GIS maps out there where we can dump the square or hex completely and show something more spatially accurate. GIS if you don't know is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_information_system

Yes it would be more complicated, but easier to maintain since tons of software is out there for it instead of some closed off map created by cash cows.

Wait, this is a game we are talking about... How do you propose to "dump the square or hex" and still keep it simple and Civilization-like?

I would be up for it. Although, I should point out that after almost two decade of not being able to commit to anything due to an illness I now have difficulty committing to anything even after two years of being illness free.

As I said before my speciality is with interfaces, mostly between data models but some UI. Also metadata, the place I worked for was getting to the stage where they were getting to the stage where the discription of the data (metadata) was also generalised and described in metadata. (Yes we were worried we may disappear up its ...)

Generalisation of software to use this generalised metadata was another aspect of my work so, once I get my head around the new jargon I could help AIAndy as a sounding board at least. Or at least I would know enough to ask all the dumb questions. :mischief:

Yeh. The stopper is the lack of a person who can do the game scaffolding and graphics engine, otherwise we could at least do some skunk-works stuff.

I don't know about you guys but I don't want to just jump ship to a new game engine if that means having to redo everything we have already done. I suspect since many units are made by Firaxis or people on this forum that using them for an independent game would be a no no. Likewise nearly all the art would have to be redone from scratch. I also do not know what the rules about code are but i suspect we could not even use the code we have since again its by either Firaxis or the civ community.

In short while it seems like a cool idea i suspect it will die quickly due to how much more work we would have to do to compensate for the stuff we get for "free" because we built it on top of Civ4 and the Civ4 community.

I don't know about you guys but I don't want to just jump ship to a new game engine if that means having to redo everything we have already done. I suspect since many units are made by Firaxis or people on this forum that using them for an independent game would be a no no. Likewise nearly all the art would have to be redone from scratch. I also do not know what the rules about code are but i suspect we could not even use the code we have since again its by either Firaxis or the civ community.

In short while it seems like a cool idea i suspect it will die quickly due to how much more work we would have to do to compensate for the stuff we get for "free" because we built it on top of Civ4 and the Civ4 community.

I agree with this statement. I think that with people like Koshling and AIAndy there is so much more we can do with the CIV 4 DLL, and if Firaxis ever releases the CIV 5 DLL, I'd be willing to move there. However, since the CIV 5 DLL is most likely a long while away, staying with CIV 4 seems the best option to me.

That said, I'm not so sure about using content if we decide sometime in the future to make a new engine. The Firaxis stuff is probably a no-no, but the CFC stuff I'm not so sure about. I think that all the stuff posted here can be reused, so long as credit is given where credit is due. How that would work if we made our own engine is murky, and by no means a clear-cut no.

We are without doubt standing on the shoulders of giants now.
And yes, a lot of art work would have to be done from scratch.

On the other hand it would allow to rethink the foundations. Better scaling, especially in the graphics engine department.
And making a full game from scratch is an achievement.

Well no matter what happens I would like to get the "Cosmos" into Civ4 Caveman 2 Cosmos with the upcoming multi-maps. This whole area of the mod is what we have been working up towards and I would like to at-least get that stuff in before I even consider moving on to a new game engine.

In fact a lot of my ideas I have had to just hope that by the time I got around to doing them that the technology or skills to do them would be there. And so far it has. There was no way that I would have known that multi-maps would be possible or that we would break the resource limit or that we would get so many people helping on the project.

So thanks everyone for allowing what seemed impossible at the time, be possible.

Yeh. The stopper is the lack of a person who can do the game scaffolding and graphics engine, otherwise we could at least do some skunk-works stuff.

As I said, I have a number of either payed for or free frameworks to work off of as our graphics engine.

I agree Cavemen to Cosmos is Civilization 6.
It is built on the backs of so many mods, and so many people have contributed to it and it's components, that it is the ultimate civilization community mod.
Certainly the inspiration, experimentation, and openness of the mod team has made that possible.

C2C is also exploring new concepts so quickly in a free way that building a new engine from scratch, or hoping that a game company will come out with a better CIV, would derail the current pursuit of improving Civilization as quickly or with our input.

I think that by attracting the right modders, with the right skill sets, encouraging everyone to contribute openly for the love of bettering CIV, and giving C2C a chance to mature/ prove it's worthiness and carry it's current momentum, that the next C2C and Civilization will naturally come from C2C. Let use C2C to prove that the ideas are worthy, that C2C can be a great example of what the next civilization could be, and make the team complete.
I would support seeing how far we can go with C2C.
This way we can guarantee and prove that we can and should be a part of the next Civilization.

We all can do our part to help them get there and be a part of it! :)

Top Bottom