End of Empires - N3S III

The Holy Moti Empire has sent The Clan of Kogur on an expedition to the south, to spread the name of Opporia to the uncivilized, and to bring glory to the Empire.

OOC: I'll PM my stat crap to NK or bug him on the chat :p

I am Holy Moti Emperor Fifth-Gaci and I endorse this message. Go forth and spread the Good Word; the Empire is with you!

From: Nephrax-ta-Delphis, Prince of the Scroll, Satrap of Kargan
To: His Subjects in Neruss

Excellent. We haven't had a proper battle-challenge from you little people in years.

Know this. When your people's children are marched to the mines deep in the heart of the Parda, to extract metal with which to forge new masks to place upon the faces of your enslaved descendants, and they ask, with despair in their voices, to know which accursed man's memory they should spit upon for dooming them to such a horrendous fate, their parents will raise their heads, with cold, sad eyes, and speak your name. Its very syllables will become a curse in your language. Its mere utterance will become a taboo.

And that is how your legacy will resound throughout all time. Perhaps they will even tell tales of you. But they will all have the same ending.

Regardless, I am looking forward to having something to do this summer.

From: Nephrax-ta-Delphis, Prince of the Scroll, Satrap of Kargan
To: His Subjects in Neruss

Excellent. We haven't had a proper battle-challenge from you little people in years.

Know this. When your people's children are marched to the mines deep in the heart of the Parda, to extract metal with which to forge new masks to place upon the faces of your enslaved descendants, and they ask, with despair in their voices, to know which accursed man's memory they should spit upon for dooming them to such a horrendous fate, their parents will raise their heads, with cold, sad eyes, and speak your name. Its very syllables will become a curse in your language. Its mere utterance will become a taboo.

And that is how your legacy will resound throughout all time. Perhaps they will even tell tales of you. But they will all have the same ending.

Regardless, I am looking forward to having something to do this summer.

To: The horselord's horse

When you ask your master why the arrow is sticking out of your rump, know it is because of his hubris.

To: Putra

As rightful owner of Rangi, but also as a brother in faith with your people, I do humbly request that you put that aforementioned island under my control.

To the Vile Vithana

Word comes to you from Dāroćramįr, Thorsrdyn of Evyn, Sovereign of the Empire, Herald of Anyāis, Lord of the North, Scourge of Those Broken, and the Most Glorious of All Rulers. He takes note of the change in your tone- the loss of that infuriating bravado- and accepts it with a smile. As for the reason behind his harsh tone towards you and your people, you must only look to what you claim to see the source of his ire. He is the Lawgiver of the Most Glorious of Empires; Lord of limitless centers of learning, art, and thought- is there any city in the world that dares challenge the beauty and sophistication of Anyāis? You claim brethren with those who have made a name for destroying that which he takes most pride in, so is his ire not natural? You claim to be World-Destroyers and breakers of men- this is an insult to the Lord of the North, his word be law, who have for countless generations spread the essence of our superior culture.

Yet you wish to know why he holds such hostility towards you? You insult him, insult his nature, insult his throne, insult his Host, and insult the very fabric of our mighty Empire. Such cannot be tolerated by a competent Lawgiver. The Empire may have lacked in the past two centuries- troubled by weak leadership and unwilling men- but that is the past, and this is the time of now. This Thorsrdyn of Evyn fears no man, and like those gloried who came before, will bring defeat to his enemies. As he speaks, his Host gathers spear and blade to bring the Vile Xieni to their knees in submission, and if needed he will have them bring spear against you. He fears no man, much less you, Horse-Lord.

The Rhon is his territory, any trespassing will be dealt with by force of arms- should you seek to take the refugee upon the river, then we are at war. There is no discussion upon this. However, as the petty curse of the Elets has rebuked the Old Offer, the Thorsrdyn sees no reason beyond this to war against you. You may, if you wish peace as you say, keep the lands you have taken while the Throne reclaims what is rightfully its own. Should time pass between us, and you do not meddle in what is rightfully his domain, the Thorsrdyn may see fit to grant you boon. But that is not this time. Stay clear of the Rhon, stay clear of his borderlands, and you may have your peace.

Confirming that I will be returning as the Empire of Helsia. Theige, we should talk later so I can fill you in a bit on the history of Farea and its people.

A little history on Parna, Part 1 of 3

Overview

The exact origin of the Kayana culture and its etymology is unknown to modern archeologists. Earliest records of the Kayana people stem from accounts of settlers from the short lived Kratoan colony at Anzai. The Kratoans were met with hostility from most natives, except for the tribe of Gu Ya Rot. The Kratoan colony remained until their destruction and subsequent chaos in the aftermath of the Satar Wars that engulfed the cradle.

That brief contact with the cradle may have spurred the development of the Kayanan people. The exchange of metalworking, masonry, and shipbuilding with the traders is believed to have trickled down the coast, which was much more passable than the thick jungle. The tribes in the area first organized into a triplicate of states: Putra, Shentha, and Parna. Each state very similar in culture, language and lifestyle and are generally peaceful as the divisions that drive nations to war are not yet present.

Initially, focused along the narrow coast, hugged by the vast jungle to the west, the Parna have begun to infiltrate the jungle as the local tribes have become assimilated into the new states. Overgrown trails, linking isolated villages which have only begun to carve their niche in the vast mass of nature, trickle with brave traders who dare to travel between the relative safeties of the villages. Men do not dare to venture off the path, lest they become prey to a jaguar or worse, an anaconda. Even when on the trail, the bravest travelers are still startled by the sounds of the jungle. However, life in the jungle has bred a people which can survive within it if need be.

Inland, the villages are constructed into the trees, much like a series of tree houses encircling a central clearing where the locals gather to socialize and trade. While under a central leadership, the villages are mostly autonomous due to their inaccessibility and terrain. The larger villages along the coast are constructed of more robust building materials such as some stone but more commonly, coral. However, a majority of the building materials remain wood, which is harvested from the seamlessly endless supply in the jungle. However, they are not much different than the inland villages with the exception of a greater integration into the state. The largest villages are the seats of power and contain the more modern pieces such as a port, primitive arts, religious structures and a central square. Obviously, the authority of the monarchy is most predominant here as the largest villages contribute more to the overall economy of the state.

Government

Historically, the governing structure of Parna is a monarchy. In the past, when the state was just perhaps a dozen tribes, the monarch would rule till death, which at that time a new monarch was determined through competition. A candidate from each tribe was sent to the capital, where they were sent into the jungle alone, within 3 days, one would have to return with the head of a jaguar. The man who did this would be proclaimed king. However, as Parna grew and more tribes became involved, the competition became crowded and intense. After a particularly bad incident, in which the candidate from the Gooh Ya tribe stabbed the candidate from the Oa Yo tribe, the ancient competition was banned. Replaced by a system in which the monarch was elected by the tribal leaders. However, the democratic system was short lived and quickly dissolved when a scandal involving bribes was uncovered amongst the electors. A predominant military general removed the electing body and gave power to the Ou Hoxi tribe (one of the more influential tribes in Parna), which the current line of monarchs come from. While, the first generations of monarchs ruled more strictly; recently, following a brief period of unrest, a council of the largest tribal leaders was formed to advise the monarch on governmental decisions.

Selections from Satar Philosophy of the 4th Century RM

"What is the main attribute of a god? The power of creation. This world was shaped by the gods and the spirits. But it was not a united creation, which is why the earth is constantly changing in a chaotic fashion.

If the earth were made by a single god, it would show signs of order. But, instead, the earth seems to be at war with itself. Mountains burst into flame, and the earth shakes and tears. The sea is swept by terrible storms. There are places of great heat and great cold. Even the creatures of this world live in constant struggle; the insect is eaten by the snake, the snake by the bird and so on.

Did not the gods (for, as we have proven and will prove, the world was made by no single god) create the world in their image? Therefore, we can only assume that the world beyond is identical to the world before us. The heavens are at war."

-Carnax-ta-Atracta, Xephatarxis [Tome of Observation]

Editor's note: Carnax-ta-Atracta (Carnax of Atracta) was a remarkably lucid and eloquent Satar thinker. One of his main tasks was the justification of the Ardavani cosmology in light of the the material world. He also developed a rational morality of Exatas, centered around bringing divine order to a world of chaos. His political works are not absent from any well-stocked library of a Satar Prince or Redeemer.

"I have taken note that some men, mostly Accar, but even some blooded Satar as well, have begun to reckon their days by the calendar of the slave peoples, the Seis-wai. This disgusts and enrages me, as do all the features of this accursed people. But I contained my rage for the space of time required to discern any merits this slave-calendar might possess. This required a study of the history of the Seis-wai, a history of nothing but sordid weakness, the reading of which gave much disruption to my health. They failed on land to conquer the Bahran kings, and on sea the Triluin were their masters. And still they claim to be a chosen people.

Furthermore, they reckon their days from the birth of their union, a union long dead, destroyed utterly by The First and the Second. But it is but one of countless such unions, and empires, and republics. Even their current goddess, the failed rebel 'Aitah,' is but a copy of an earlier goddess, Matah, who fled into the east at the coming of the Golden Mask, just as Aitah fled before the conquering armies of the Noble Restorer, Macrinus.

By comparison, dating the years from the Mask Reforged is noble and good. Even our enemies know that the return of the Satar was the breaking and remaking of the world. They cannot deny the power and terror of the First Exatai. By comparison, what does this slave-calendar even count? The days from the beginning of one nameless, forgotten Seis-wai state among many, as useless and unsuccessful as all the endeavors of this truly revolting, nauseating slave-race. I sincerely advocate the proscription of its use by Sixth Redeemer Petraxes."

Tarkalik the Lesser, Polemic Against the Subject Peoples

Editor's Note: Tarkalik the Lesser was a veteran soldier serving the Prince of the Sword, who took to writing after losing a leg defending against a Moti raid. He was not particularly profound or well-known beyond his time, but his works were preserved due to his influence over the Wind-Lord, Petraxes, and subsequent installation as court philosopher in Magha. Some of his vitriolic denouncements of the Moti, Seshweay, and Vithana have been expropriated by others over the years. Petraxes ultimately did ban the usage of the Seshweay calendar in the Exatai, a ban which remains in force.

"First Meditation. How does one master the Aspect of Thought?

The number of unanswerable questions can enrage. Rage, while useful to a servant of Taleldil, cannot be allowed to overpower patience. Even while rage consumed him, Arastephas the Great retained the clarity of his thought. He attacked neither too early, nor too late. Equally so, abandoning your rage heralds weakness, of strength and of the mind.

The Aspect of Thought is as crucial to the warrior as it is to the thinker. Any mere soldier can direct his spear into the gap between his enemy's armor, but for a Prince fighting a battle, knowing when to direct his army to charge or to flank, that is the possession of EXATAS.

Therefore, the first step towards the mastery of the Aspect of Thought is the maintenance of rage, and the maintenance of patience. Consider again the Prince who wishes to break the enemy's army. If his rage overwhelms his patience, he shall direct his troops to charge too early, and the charge will be broken. If his patience overwhelms his rage, he will direct his troops to charge too late, and they will be drawn into a trap. But if he charges neither too early nor too late, his rage tempered by patience acts acts in unity with the patience tempered rage of his army, and the enemy is broken by the ferocity of the charge, and the possession of EXATAS.

When patience and rage have been brought into perfect balance, one has achieved the first sha [step] towards Mastery of the Aspect of Thought. Withdraw within your own mind. Feel the blazing fire that is your rage, and the wall of ice that is your patience. Combine them within your mind, and form water. This water shall nourish the garden of your thought. The blood red flowers will bloom.

Second Meditation. How does one master the Aspect of Thought?"

-Ixat-ha, Seventy-Seven Meditations on the Mastery of the Aspect of Thought

Editor's Note: Ixat-ha [Ixat the High] was a famous monastic of Magha. He first became Avet-ha of an influential monastery in the cliffs of the city, later rising to become the High Oracle of Magha. He dedicated his writings to the achievement of mastery over the Aspect of Thought, always arguing ardently for the balance of the warrior's code with intellectual training. He remains widely read in monastic circles, especially among the Avetai.

How long do you plan on having the next update last NK? 10-20 years? More?

Plan around ten years.

To: Putra

As rightful owner of Rangi, but also as a brother in faith with your people, I do humbly request that you put that aforementioned island under my control.

By what right are you claiming this island? You say you are the rightful owner, but it has been more than two centuries since any but us have owned it, and even then, these were the lands of the Kratoan King. Are you he? I think not.

Krato never had a king, but many Hnos (Chiefs). Together they could lay claim to this island. But now, they serve the Hno of Moti, who thus can claim all they could and more. We act in the Hno of Moti's name, and thus can claim this island.

Our arrival can only benefit this dark corner of the world. Clergymen from Opios will arrive with more accurate scriptures, and our traders will once again bring their goods to these shores. You will grow rich, and your wisdom will be hailed in a multitude of lands. All of this, for but one small island.

Born into freedom, cast down by the raid
In chains and twine the boy became a beast
Of the world he was, mouth suckling her teat
His freedom worth more than any price long paid

Fallowed in blood the land of his fathers
From sea they came, iron thrust into his kin
Lashings and cages kept him quietly within
They beat him, worth less than his whore mother

Cold and frozen the wind ripped his face
Beyond the horizon mountains rose
This stench, a civilization it could not pose
Worked to near death at an unrelenting pace

Fulwarc grew to a man with his prison
Blood and flesh, with sweat all lost
Starved like rats and black with the frost
Sober to this punishment, he let loose his superstition

The wild beast spoke to the him
Freedom they whispered
Freedom they whispered
He could hear them​

To: some Hno

Is it the custom of every people in these north lands of yours to threaten their neighbors and break the peace so constantly? We may be a small state, on the edge of the world, but our people are happy and we are content.

We will give you this island, for we (apparently unlike many) love nothing more than to watch our wives grow old with us, and our children become strong men and beautiful women. Consider it a gift. No repayment is necessary, please, keep your learned men in their learned schools, where they may best contemplate who next to bully.

Nope!

The front page is about as updated as it's going to be for a while, so let me know now of any errors you see there. Oh, and most descriptions are up; I got lazy with the Siran successor states, the Stettin, and the Kayana.

Ninja's clan hasn't been added because he hasn't done anything yet. :p

The front page is about as updated as it's going to be for a while, so let me know now of any errors you see there. Oh, and most descriptions are up; I got lazy with the Siran successor states, the Stettin, and the Kayana.

Ninja's clan hasn't been added because he hasn't done anything yet. :p

Well I'm only gonna do stuff during the update :p

Not to sound impatient, but is there a deadline for claiming/getting order in yet?

Claiming nations time is over. Order deadline is 6 PM, Friday, April 1st, Vienna time. That's like... noon eastern. Not gonna figure out more than that.

Top Bottom