Alexander

I haven't been posting, but I've been following the thread & playing from time to time. I look forward to the new version.
@ Blue Monkey - BTW, congratulations on your new role. Hope all goes well. :)
Thanks. I've been distracted from creative contributions while I figured out the new role, but I actually worked on some stuff for the Steampunk project yesterday. I look forward to the update. I still hope someday to give you an Indian campaign quick-start.

Blue - Cool. If Sandris does get a Greek pack released this weekend then some heavy modding is in store for me. ;) I've got Monday and Tuesday off work, and may try to get an Asia Minor mini campaign out.

Kingdom - Very, very strange. I can give you a fix for this one problem, but I can't help but think that there's something about your installation (either of the main game or of the mod) that somehow got screwed up. Go to the directory Civilization III\Conquests\AC v 1 02\Art\units\ and find the folder Persian Elite Spearman. Go into that and open the Persian Elite Spearman.ini file with a text editor. Scroll down until you can see ..\Archer\Archvicyell.wav, and delete that text (not the whole line, just exactly that text).

If the game then works then I'll actually be slightly surprised, but very pleased. :) In that case then it's something I can patch fairly easily in the next version. If not then copy and paste the new error message here.

ok says now missing entry in "Scenarios\AC v 1 02\text\Pedialcons.text": ANIMNAME_PRTO_Heavy_Nile_Galley

That's an unrelated problem. :(

As I thought - I can help you fix each of these little problems one by one, but there will be hundreds of them. I think that we must have a problem with the installation somehow. Would you be able to navigate to the Units folder with Windows Explorer and take a screen shot? The either post it here or send it to me by PM. I'll take a look at it from there. It's possible that a patch has gone into the wrong folder or something like that.

Well i finally fixed it, just had to delete that line from a couple of the Ini and had to put that text line into the pediaicons and poof fixed. Also great scenario now that i can finally play it =)

Now that the Greek units are released, when can we expect a new patch? =P

:D

I've worked on the game in the last few weeks. I have added most of the new Greek units by Sandris, and a ton of others besides. I've been fiddling with some of the game mechanics too though and have not had a chance to test them out properly. Resources will be very different in the next version, and the victory types available will change a bit. I've made 10 or 12 new resource graphics and added in some others as well. I intend to streamline the units a bit too, as well as adding in the upgraded phalanx and hypaspist units that I've always been planning. You'll be able to build Satrapal palaces in the main Persian cities as part of the new spacerace style victory - making an Eastward expansion even more necessary.

Of course I could always wait until Sandris has sorted out his Persian unit set before releasing the next version. ;) He has said to expect them in February, and new Archaemenid troops would polish the mod very nicely.

Hi Keroro - can we still expect an update ? I played through to the end but encountered problems/bugs with aspects of the victory conditions - just won by default basically. Fantastic scenario by the way ....

Hi Keroro - can we still expect an update ? I played through to the end but encountered problems/bugs with aspects of the victory conditions - just won by default basically. Fantastic scenario by the way ....

Hey Rathvilly, thanks for dropping in (and for the compliment!) I have been working on an update still, but slowly. I've changed a lot of the victory conditions around so that it's actually possible to win the game now. :mischief: The victories got more and more bugged as patches came out somehow, so I went back to the drawing board on them. It would be interesting to have a look at a save file from near the end of your game if you still have one - it's hard to envisage how different players are going to approach a scenario so I'd love to take a look.

There's no definite ETA for a new version at the moment sadly - too much on at work to dedicate much to civ.

Hey Rathvilly, thanks for dropping in (and for the compliment!) I have been working on an update still, but slowly. I've changed a lot of the victory conditions around so that it's actually possible to win the game now. :mischief: The victories got more and more bugged as patches came out somehow, so I went back to the drawing board on them. It would be interesting to have a look at a save file from near the end of your game if you still have one - it's hard to envisage how different players are going to approach a scenario so I'd love to take a look.

There's no definite ETA for a new version at the moment sadly - too much on at work to dedicate much to civ.

Good to hear the project is still being worked on, and hasn't died.

Thanks for getting back – completely understand work committments ! Unfortunately I didn’t keep a save. Approached the scenario from the historical angle and so mostly worked through your ‘guide’ on the route. (played Monarch but I’m tempted to up it a notch next time). The major battles worked perfectly – right time and place. I lost a bit of time in Bactria/Sogdiana till it dawned on me I didn’t have to take every last city there – you added a few along the ‘silk road’. Back to Persia I was trying to take the Alexander’s sarcophagus route to victory but that didn’t work (think the unit needs to be tagged as a ‘flag’) I did a bit more territory grabbing (Arabia, Macedonia, Thracia), fluffed around for a while trying to win a cultural victory (didn’t realise you had it set at 500,000 – thought it was 50,000 !). Was never able to upgrade brides and though I got heirs through improvements I never got that final tech – wasn’t too far off the timeline though. I was going to do more conquering for the Alexander’s Empire victory but spent a bit of time fighting off invasions. First the Mauryan’s – managed to halt them but lost my most eastern city. Next the Dacians attacked without warning – this was alarming as they came at me with numerous mega stacks. I only just managed to hold on to Macedonia as by this time I could ally with my neighbours – the Scythians absolutely stomped on them – their Sarmatian Cataphract was truly scary.! Have to admit this part of the game was quite good because though you’ve got strong units in theory, you have to watch your back as they’re spread thinly round your Empire. Overall it was a fantastic journey – only had two Phalanx Army’s left by the end – lost one to Darius and one to those damn chariots – a nice touch !

As I noted a few things don’t work at present (which you’re aware off). Also I did find the Paurava’s slightly too easy to conquer – like one other post mentioned Porus’ Army was empty – might be something to do with the way its set up in the editor ? I wasn’t clear on a few things - eg the role of the Diadochi – are these for the AI ? when I took Pella I managed to obtain a few and they were very useful. Couldn’t build the Pella part of the Alex Empire victory or Taxiles (requires a river port I see). These things aside nothing detracts from the amazing amount of work thats gone into this scenario which is really appreciated and makes for a fun game.
Sorry for the long post !

I wonder how can you download that file: http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=71396# - I click on the link and nothing happens, and there is no timer or anything like that either...

Hi Kizlyk. The link seems fine to me too, even on my work computer. The link opens in a pop up window - is it possible that your computer has pop-ups disabled?

General update - My work day including travel at the moment runs from 8:00-20:00, so little progress on the mod recently. Hopefully this week will see off the worst of it and I'll have a little more fun time.

Hi Kizlyk. The link seems fine to me too, even on my work computer. The link opens in a pop up window - is it possible that your computer has pop-ups disabled?

Yep, must be it - downloaded successfully at work, thanks :)

Platform: Mac OS 10.4

Game: Civ 3 Complete

Error Message: File not found; Art\Units\...\...\Civ3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\Otomo Spearman\SpearOtomoRun.amb

Funny thing, I look in the Civ3PTW directory and guess what I find there? Though there is one small difference, instead of a directory named "Civ3PTW" it's a directory named "Play the World Game Data". Otherwise the file path is as noted above. Is the directory named "Civ3PTW" in other versions?

Please note that the Mac version doesn't come with an editor, so editing the biqs is not possible for me. Anybody up to porting Alexander's Conquests to the Mac?

I know very little about the Mac solutions. I'd suggest a look at the Mac subforum, specifically at this thread, where there's a screenshot of a similar error in the very first post.

The Mac is indeed a machine that is very intolerant of error. :(

Top Bottom