Do you like to play this game immersively?

Cissnei

Warlord
Do you like to play this game immersively?
I feel like creators of this game didn't care about people who like playing that T_T
I think people who play to build beautiful civilization and also role play are disappointed.
This game really support people who like to play to win but ignores people who want to play immersively

I thought tourism and world congress will make this game more immersive but they didn't

What evidence do you have for your hypothesis?

Personally, I "role play" all the time in Civ V.

Yes i do! And i feel exactly the same way!

I REALLY want to be able to stick labels on areas of the map for this reason, i would absolutely love it. While we're at it as well, i'd love it if they changed the way you name units so you're not just limited to doing it when they upgrade.

And some more interactive advisers would be nice too. Maybe with some actual gameplay function and influence over your empire. Then if you could kill them or promote them or whatever that would be even better, with game-lasting effects :goodjob:

I would just never be happier than if they simply added the ability to name tiles and groups of tiles with labels though. I would never stop playing then, and it might actually get me immersed enough to finish a game once in a while. I don't want number crunching, i want story and fantasy (made by myself)! :king:

That seems rather a large statement to make without any supporting facts or in depth analysis. Can you be specific and provide examples?

They haven't really got any roleplay friendly elements to the game. The few they do have have not been added to since vanilla. It's not that they actively ignore roleplayers, or that they dont provide facilities (the game is plenty :p), but simply that they could do more to actively make the game roleplay friendly i feel.

What evidence do you have for your hypothesis?

Personally, I "role play" all the time in Civ V.

So do I. In fact, the ideology system seems to make that easier.

What exactly were you expecting?

The leaderheads and set personalities are enough immersion to satisfy me, really, though I'm not sure if that's quite what you mean as I definitely get much of my satisfaction out of devising strategies for victory. Seeing Alex ride up on his horse and knowing that **** just got real is very cool for me; the game playing out in dramatically different fashion depending on who your neighbors are just gives it so much life and replayability.

When i play i have hundreds of ideas how to improve immersive side of game... But i never write them down... I think they should rework leaders and give them alot more lines and interaction. At some point in the game i am only annoyed when they talk to me because they only say the same
And also alot things about civilizations. It feels to me that the only difference is colors. There is nothing that is different between Civilizations other than unique units and buildings. Nothing historical, photos, special advisors, culture related things etc
I wish every civilization had it's own theme (not music theme) and everything else

I'm pretty much OCD when I roleplay- to the point that I will restart a game if I do not get a Civ's specific wonders (i.e. China and Terracotta, GW, PT, etc.) My obsession with roleplaying a civ is so bad, that I had to drop down a difficulty just so I could do it and still possibly WIN xD. And even then it's not a given!

Each Civ having its own theme and look would be very cool, but would require a lot more work from the art staff in particular. This is one of the reasons they don't have two leaders anymore. Too much development time is needed to do each leader right. There are always trade-offs when developing games like this. You can have quality of civilizations (with unique art, music, multiple leaders) or you can have quantity. Having both would require far more development staff and time than most game companies and their publishers are willing to give.

That being said... we can dream... or hope modders and this type of thing in through combined mods, etc.

I also play immersively, and certain things like the excellent leader heads help me with that, but inevitably I go back to playing Rhye's and Fall Civ IV. Civ V has a lot of really amazing features, but nothing compared with changing history by keeping the Europeans out of the New World as the Aztec.

I was going to say I play an "immersive" style but after reading the level of role playing from other replies I think my concept of immersion is very different :)

What I do is pick a general 'flavor' of game and then tweak settings and such to enable my chosen style. For instance my latest game was pre determined naval superiority and trade. Naturally I picked Portugal and continents. The game has played out as expected with my having robust sea trade and naval strength while also playing a friendly empire diplo style and pushing religion as hard as possible. Kind of like the Portuguese empire ;)

Anyway, all my games are like that. I guess I don't get too crazy on the role playing but I don't min/max if it doesn't fit my style, don't always go for the cheap win and never use exploits. I call that immersion and it keeps me playing at Emperor level.

Random events would help with immersion, as well as map labels, though Ideological tenets did add some more depth.

I would prefer that they don't break the game for some added flavor. This isn't SimCity.

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say that random events "broke" the game.

Well the design to any of the civilization games aren't as immerse as say crusader kings 2 but I think depending on their level of imagination will be able to immerse themselves in anything that isn't completely abstract.

For an exteme example playing lightsaber jedi battles with cardboard tubes doesn't sound very immersive to me as an adult but I've seen some children totally get into the role play of it.

It would vary greatly by individual.

Having played Civ hardcore since Civ3, Civ5 is no less immersive than previous versions.

There are certain little touches in Civ4 like terrain labeling that is not present in Civ5, but in terms of the narrative arc of a game, Civ5 can be quite compelling. Probably morso with city states and intrigue system. I'm desperatly hoping someone to take on the challenge of writing an epic story based on that.

The sad thing is, the kind of expansive narrative driven After Action Reports found in Civ3 with pictures, maps and arrows showing military movements and political intrigue which would have worked so well with Civ5 have been replaced by 'Let's Plays' and listening to people drone on about their games over many hours.

Nothing against the let's play crowd of course, MadDjinn's stuff are amazing teaching tools, but the ascendancy of Let's Plays has come at the cost of the well written stuff we used to see.

Sorry for the side-track rant.

To me, it's the gameplay that's immersive and not the bells and whistles of the game. I like to play the game as intended, no exploits or anything like that and I find that each game is incredibly unique, and feels like plausible alternate history. Playing as Portugal, in charge of the World Congress, I built a coalition to liberate India from the technologically superior Babylonian empire. We succeeded, slapped an embargo on them, and I took one of their cities in the peace deal to act a demilitarized zone. (Combined with Standing Army Tax, they were making negative gold from then on.) India loved me for the rest of the game and helped me become the World leader. In short, I find if you just play the game as intended, there's no end to role playing!

To me, it's the gameplay that's immersive and not the bells and whistles of the game. I like to play the game as intended, no exploits or anything like that and I find that each game is incredibly unique, and feels like plausible alternate history. Playing as Portugal, in charge of the World Congress, I built a coalition to liberate India from the technologically superior Babylonian empire. We succeeded, slapped an embargo on them, and I took one of their cities in the peace deal to act a demilitarized zone. (Combined with Standing Army Tax, they were making negative gold from then on.) India loved me for the rest of the game and helped me become the World leader. In short, I find if you just play the game as intended, there's no end to role playing!

Yeah, human only features are not immersive to me either. But I think the globe view/map labelling from Civ4 are nice little touches that doesn't affect gameplay.

But as a basic rule, I want the AI to be able to do everything I can.

Top Bottom