Diplomatic Relations Management

Sounds like modern politics.:king:
So, next step is to build national wonders like CNN, RT or BBC for additional bonus?[emoji317]
There's already a National TV Station national wonder [emoji6]

45°38'N-13°47'E;13733838 said:
There's already a National TV Station national wonder [emoji6]

It was half a joke, but in seriousness they should give "propaganda bonus", for commend or condemn.

Now when we have this relation manager can we split open borders to

naval space oppening
air space opening
Open borders

Iam asking because sometimes you only want to go by water by someone's territory.

Moreover, I think that split open borders into new agreements will make the game unnecessarily more complex.

Sometimes during negotiations the AI has a crazy offer (I give you 1 resource for your 12 resources :deal: ) I just miss to have an option to mock and grunt on the AI leader and say: " You are stupid. :lmao: Go to hell! :deadhorse:"
Giving an arrogant answer could result in diplomatic penalty. Does it make sense? Maybe... If you don't want to declare war on him, but want him to declare war an you.

Just an idea. Maybe it is just more fun, than needed :lol:

Sometimes during negotiations the AI has a crazy offer (I give you 1 resource for your 12 resources :deal: ) I just miss to have an option to mock and grunt on the AI leader and say: " You are stupid. :lmao: Go to hell! :deadhorse:"
Giving an arrogant answer could result in diplomatic penalty. Does it make sense? Maybe... If you don't want to declare war on him, but want him to declare war an you.

Just an idea. Maybe it is just more fun, than needed :lol:

Nine times out of ten that is indeed a generous offer for an AND AI to make :shake:
More often than not I don't bother asking the AI for much because they're so stingy with things now. Easy enough to toss a resource their way for some extra cash per turn though, but getting a tech-for-a-tech (Even if they're friendly and you have a monopoly on the tech) isn't going to happen most of the time.

Most of the time. ;)
Civ4ScreenShot0211.JPG
(Yes, I do have a world monopoly on Paper right now, and yes the deals the other AI asked of me sucked. Even my +21 Friendly neighbor wanted my entire treasury and an additional tech just for one tech from him!)

I was so surprised at this I actually had to screenshot it - THAT is how infrequently I get sane offers from the AI :lol:
Sometimes they surprise me but then realize they're offering for a tech I only have one turn left in researching, or ask me for the bulk of my treasury along with said tech. I have had a guy ask me for dozens and dozens of siege weapons for a tech I hadn't put any research points into though once.

But yeah, being able to give a Polite or 'Rude' response would be interesting but,.... I don't know if it'd be worth the time and effort.
Just for brainstorming though - Polite wouldn't affect relations much if at all (Pleased and Friendly wouldn't receive any diplo hit for declining), Rude would offend anyone but would tick off Annoyed and Furious the most!

@Rezca: Currently, I think the AI offers are based on difficulty. This is quite logical as it would make the game easier if you can trade with them. That said, maybe we could find a formula to remove that dependency and make it dependent to the score, so if you're first you get these offers and if you're last you get more generous offers. Any thought?

@Rezca: Currently, I think the AI offers are based on difficulty. This is quite logical as it would make the game easier if you can trade with them. That said, maybe we could find a formula to remove that dependency and make it dependent to the score, so if you're first you get these offers and if you're last you get more generous offers. Any thought?

Could be the difficulty I'm on (Flexible Difficulty and all that) but it does make tech monopolies sort of useless then. If you're the first to a tech, there's no real sense of accomplishment there - nothing to be gained from it. Either no one will trade anything worth while for it, no one will offer any sort of sane deal, or you do nothing and everyone ends up getting it themselves shortly thereafter.

I'm still in a BTS mindset here though, where following a specific tech path had consequences but also benefits - it usually meant trading an expensive tech for a handful of cheap ones you missed, and then selling a rare tech no one else had (Due to your beeline) for various rewards. In AND I've rarely gotten anything out of a monopoly tech besides petty cash or an old tech most of the world already has. This again might be due to difficulty I'm on, but I clearly recall (Albeit many revisions ago) these sort of "I'm never trading with the AI again,.." sort of lunacy deals cropping up the AI offers at Noble as well.

And that's my new way of playing Civ really. I almost never contact the AI for anything anymore except to trade surpluss resources for extra cash when needed, and I have had No Tech Trading on more and more frequently - It's rare for me to ever get any sort of use out of Tech Trading as it is :p
As a particularly bad example, I was the first to Flintlock once, and NO ONE - not even the Tech-Trade-Happy Mansa Munsa at Friendly - would give me any of their "Available" (Not red-out) techs for it. Not unless I tossed in 2 ~ 5 others, or my entire treasury. Or both. This is what I've come to expect from AI tech trading in AND at this point, so I rarely bother anymore.

I'd have to have another go on Noble without Flex.Difficulty though to see if it really is the Monarch/Immortal difficulties making it this way. It's influencing it I'm sure, but I still remember even the "Easy" Noble difficulty being filled with insane AI's. It does make things more challenging, you're not constantly shaking down the AI and whatnot, but it also makes catching up without relying on FlexDifficulty to save you much harder.

I think that would be great :)

But yeah, being able to give a Polite or 'Rude' response would be interesting but,.... I don't know if it'd be worth the time and effort.
Just for brainstorming though - Polite wouldn't affect relations much if at all (Pleased and Friendly wouldn't receive any diplo hit for declining), Rude would offend anyone but would tick off Annoyed and Furious the most!

I think it would make sense to be able to choose between Polite or a Rude regardless of current diplomatic relations. I imagine it this way:

If I ASK something and you say...
  • YES, you get a slight diplomatic bonus
  • NO (politely) nothing happens
  • NO (rude) you get some diplomatic penalty
If I DEMAND something (I always get some diplomatic penalty) and you say...
  • YES, you don't get any penalty
  • NO (politely) you also get a slight penalty
  • NO (rude) you also get a heavier penalty

Not sure if it worth to do, but I think it should work this way.

Yes, I think AI offers are based on difficulty, especially for techs. I have to check but I think that there's a dependency by tech cost, i.e. beakers, which explains some hard bargains on Flex Difficulty: a costly (for you) tech, might cost a lot less for a civ on lower handicap so they don't value it much because they can research it quickly. Which explains why it's easier to trade with civs on the same handicap. It's not a bug, it's simply AI being clever when trading. With my proposed Research Cost changes (see other thread), this problem should also be mitigated.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13787114 said:
Yes, I think AI offers are based on difficulty, especially for techs. I have to check but I think that there's a dependency by tech cost, i.e. beakers, which explains some hard bargains on Flex Difficulty: a costly (for you) tech, might cost a lot less for a civ on lower handicap so they don't value it much because they can research it quickly. Which explains why it's easier to trade with civs on the same handicap. It's not a bug, it's simply AI being clever when trading. With my proposed Research Cost changes (see other thread), this problem should also be mitigated.

That would make sense. Previous game me and Abu were on Deity both and it was literally impossible to make any sort of trade with the (Many) Settler and Warlord AIs, and they ended up passing us in tech but still refused to do anything with us.

Flexibile Difficulty's confusing :crazyeye:

Do you ever think, that when you are the 1st one to a tech, Monopoly, that the AI might consider that you don't need any help to research, and that you SHOULD give some charity to it.

It may consider that you have to be pegged back a bit, or they need a immediate boost to compete with you.

Hence the trade deals that are heavily biased in their favour.

Do you ever think, that when you are the 1st one to a tech, Monopoly, that the AI might consider that you don't need any help to research, and that you SHOULD give some charity to it.

It may consider that you have to be pegged back a bit, or they need a immediate boost to compete with you.

Hence the trade deals that are heavily biased in their favour.

They're like that 24/7 though - monopoly tech or a full era behind. I don't see any real difference in either situation. In fact, the only real time they actually start considering deals that don't completely screw you over is when you're trading cities or simple Workers.

"An immediate boost to compete"? Not likely. I get first to Paper, Optics or whatever so I can try and catch up with them since they went down a different tech path but are still 5 ~ 7 techs ahead of me, and they still start with the "Kingdom for a tech" trade offers. It doesn't matter the situation - it's more common to have the hundred to one in their favor offers than anything remotely equal. I'm okay with giving two techs for one, but five techs, all your surpluss resources, and your entire treasury as a common offer? No.
Even with the love-to-trade AI I can still offer three techs (All I have) and they'll still refuse to give me so much as spare change.

As pointed out, it's probably difficulty influencing this a ton - but it's left me very unwilling to bother with the Trading section of Diplomacy unless I'm trying to incite war.

Top Bottom