About a "profile" system.

dbkblk

Emperor
Hi !

I've came to an idea for the launcher. Get a profile loading/saving system. It's quite easy to code but i would like to have the feedback of the community first.

The features would be:
- Save a profile (all usersettings and gameoptions)
- Load a profile

The potential of such a system is to gather some different playstyles profiles and to include them in the mod by default. For example, a minimal profile (no options), a multiplayer optimized profile (only safe options), a challenging profile, etc.
It will allow to quickly change a set of gameoptions and to discover new way of playing (because everyone plays differently).

What do you think about that ? Is it worthless ?

So far with the updater I exclude the whole "usersettings" folder, to avoid losing my custom settings each time (especially the unit naming, that took a long time to reach perfection :) ).

But an option to activate a "multiplayer safe" set of options would be useful for those that do try MP (I'm not that lucky though).

The important thing I think is to be able to then disable the "MP safe" settings and restore the settings that were set before that.

I agree with Noyyau. As for MP, maybe saving/importing/exporting a profile would be a good thing so that players can make sure they're using the same settings which is required to avoid as many OOS as possible.

Yes, that was the starting idea about Ronchon_le_nain's problem.

I agree this would be handy. Also it would be nice if the launcher could toggle the ability to turn on logging by changing the user ini settings.

I had been using the Launcher. It never touched my UserSettings folder, even as I didn't exclude it. I only exclude Interface file Commom.thm for my personal text size needs. However, other than that, the general profile settings plus Custom sounds cool.

@os79: I intend to add a dropdown box to change text size (something like "Large, Normal, Small") in the near-future, but that's a low priority on my task list, unfortunately :x

@os79: I intend to add a dropdown box to change text size (something like "Large, Normal, Small") in the near-future, but that's a low priority on my task list, unfortunately :x

It's ok. I'm happy I'm skilled enough to deal with it myself for now. It will definitely will be helpful in future. My current preferred game text font size is 20, fyi :).

I will work on this now. The profile system will first be implemented into the launcher, then we'll try to gather different playstyles and will include them in the mod.

Is there any feature that we should particularly avoid in multiplayer games?

Would it also be possible to save the selected civs and leaders in the custom game screen to a profile, so that it could get prepopulated when loading the profile later?

I had been using the Launcher. It never touched my UserSettings folder, even as I didn't exclude it. I only exclude Interface file Commom.thm for my personal text size needs. However, other than that, the general profile settings plus Custom sounds cool.

How do you exclude certain files from getting updated/overwritten? Everytime I update the mod, it seems to delete the new leaderheads I added to the Custom Leaderheads folder.

Would it also be possible to save the selected civs and leaders in the custom game screen to a profile, so that it could get prepopulated when loading the profile later?
I don't think it is possible. Maybe the team has an idea about this.

How do you exclude certain files from getting updated/overwritten? Everytime I update the mod, it seems to delete the new leaderheads I added to the Custom Leaderheads folder.
In the launcher, in "Options -> Exclude files from update". Select the folder to exclude (check that subfiles are also checked).

I will work on this now. The profile system will first be implemented into the launcher, then we'll try to gather different playstyles and will include them in the mod.

Is there any feature that we should particularly avoid in multiplayer games?
I've made a list some time ago, mostly some BUG options. I'm not 100% certain than all of those were causing OOS, I think they were Archer Bombardment, Dynamic XP, Defensive Withdrawal and Battlefield Promotions. Then there are some options deactivated in MP like Random Seed on Reload. I think Barbarian Civs are switched off and maybe something else. Revolution is not causing any OOS AFAIK.

Top Bottom