Enhanced Tech Conquest Mod by Zappara

JosEPh_II

TBS WarLord
In a recent post with some of the AND Modders I asked what became of the Mod by Zappara that was AND's 2nd Config file. The Config file was called Enhanced Tech Conquest. And had been part of the RoM & AND Mods since Feb of 2010 when Zappara introduced it.

During a recent SVN update this Mod/Config file was removed. It was stated that it was duplicated in the AND/ASSETS/Config folder were the file EnhancedTechConquest.new file resides.

Here's my problem the EnhancedTechConquest.new file is an ID file (similar to Schema files) for the various options in the Config file that was removed. It is Not from what I can gather the Actual Mod that was placed as a Config file.

So by removing the Config file the Mod was removed from affecting the Mod. What this does is basically revert the mod back to Basic Vanilla BtS when it comes to acquiring Tech or research points towards tech when you conquer a city from a Civ that has tech that you do not.

Question: Should this have been done?

Original Config File/Zappara Mod:

[Enhanced Tech Conquest]

# Change the value to true if technology should be handed completely over from
# the conquered city to their new owners.
# Default value is False
Complete Technology Discovery = False

# Increase or decrease the value to change the number of or part of
# technologies conquered cities will hand over to their new owners.
# Default value is 1
Technology Transfer Count = 1

# Change the value to true if the amount of technologies conquered cities will
# hand over to their new owners should be random.
# Default value is False
Random Technology Transfer Amount = False

# Change the value to true if the conquering civilization can receive
# technology without the appropriate prerequisites or ignore their civilization
# technology restrictions.
# Default value is False
Technology Transfer Ignore Prereq = False

# Change the value to false if full technology transfer should be allowed. By
# setting the value to true this will force players to spend at least one turn
# researching pillaged technology.
# Default value is True
Disable Full Technology Transfer = True

# Increase or decrease the value to change the base technology transfer
# percentage amount.
# Default value is 25
Base Technology Transfer Percent = 5

# Increase or decrease the value to change the percent amount per city
# population that will be used to transfer technology to the new owners of
# the conquered city.
# Default value is 5
Percentage Per City Population = 5

The Assets\Config folder contains this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<!--
Enhanced Tech Conquest settings
by Zappara
-->
<mod id="EnhancedTechConquest"
module="CvEnhancedTechConquestEventManager"
name="Enhanced Tech Conquest"
author="Zappara"
version="1.0"
date="17/02/20§0"
url="">

<events module="CvEnhancedTechConquestEventManager"/>

<options id="EnhancedTechConquest" file="EnhancedTechConquest.ini">
<section id="ETCSettings">
<option id="CompleteTechnologyDiscovery" key="CompleteTechnologyDiscovery" type="boolean" default="False"/>
<option id="TechnologyTransferCount" key="TechnologyTransferCount" type="int" default="1"/>
<option id="RandomTechnologyTransferAmount" key="RandomTechnologyTransferAmount" type="boolean" default="False"/>
<option id="TechnologyTransferIgnorePrereq" key="TechnologyTransferIgnorePrereq" type="boolean" default="False"/>
<option id="DisableFullTechnologyTransfer" key="DisableFullTechnologyTransfer" type="boolean" default="True"/>
<option id="BaseTechnologyTransferPercent" key="BaseTechnologyTransferPercent" type="int" default="25"/>
<option id="PercentagePerCityPopulation" key="PercentagePerCityPopulation" type="int" default="5"/>
</section>
</options>
</mod>

This file is still in AND. The 1st is not. And as you can see there are major differences.

Maybe a mistake was made? And the Original 2nd Config file should not have been removed?

What do you think?

JosEPh

Hi Joseph!
I already answered you that the settings are now in Assets\Python\EnhancedTechConquestUtils\EnhancedTechConquest.py.

They are here since ages so the ini wasn't useful. The python parameters are the same that were in the ini file. I'll look about this config file.

However, if you find that this has broke something, i might revert the change.

Hi Joseph!
I already answered you that the settings are now in Assets\Python\EnhancedTechConquestUtils\EnhancedTechConquest.py.

They are here since ages so the ini wasn't useful. The python parameters are the same that were in the ini file. I'll look about this config file.

However, if you find that this has broke something, i might revert the change.

That python file does not give the player any Visible acess to make changes to the Mod as Most players have No Idea the Python file exists.

Basically what you have done is Removed player Access to the Mod by removing the Config file.

Unless you can confirm that the Config file was non functional, then that is what has been "broken".

JosEPh

Thank you dbkblk.

JosEPh

Now as you mention it, I don't recall it either to receive any :science: for conquest since 1.75. However it may be only because I am usually the tech leader, but I doubt that.

Nothing has been changed when removing the ini file. It's working as always with default values, they're set in \Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn\Assets\Python\EnhancedTechConquestUtils\EnhancedTechConquest.py and they're the same as they've always been in the ini file. I don't know why Afforess removed Rise of Mankind Config.ini but that file allowed to change values exactly in the same way as in python. We can restore the ini file if needed but first I'd like to know if Afforess had any particular reason to remove it. Anyway unless you've ever changed values set in the ini file, removing it has 0 impact on the game. What I'm not sure of is if that part of the game was removed years ago in favour of a different way of getting techs from conquests, either coded in the dll or somewhere else. If this is the case, removing the ini file or even the python file, shouldn't change anything.

@45: Have a look at my answer on Trello!

Zappara put the config file where it was so that the Player could make adjustments. Just because No Modder has done anything with the python/config or any other associated file does Not mena the file is Obsolete. It was Just Overlooked by the Modders. Unless Afforess did somethign with or too it years ago. But I don't think he did.

Now if you can prove that making adjustments thru that removed file Do Nothing to Any mod that contains it (and here specifically for AND) then okay no loss for it's removal. But I think you will find that it's removal has left the Player with 1 less option on adjusting the game play to their wants.

I wouldn't have brought this up if other means for it's usage by players was available. And I seriously believe that it does Impact the Mods handling towards Techs acquired by conquest. Just change the values in those other files still left and you will see a diference. Like making the 1st Option True instead of False. Or the 2nd option to 10 instead of 1.

JosEPh

The config file is not necessary because EnhancedTechConquests was updated to use the BUG event system by Zappara. The BUG mod will generate an INI file in the CustomAssets folder after launching the mod the first time. There is no reason to keep auto-generated files in source control.

The config file is not necessary because EnhancedTechConquests was updated to use the BUG event system by Zappara. The BUG mod will generate an INI file in the CustomAssets folder after launching the mod the first time. There is no reason to keep auto-generated files in source control.

So the adjustments the Config file gave the player was superseded sometime ago. And as such the player has no control over what is was supposed to allow now? That's disheartening to know. One less option for the player. :sad:

Where does this CustomAssets folder reside? I can't seem to locate it. If you would be so kind as to point out it's residence.

JosEPh

CustomAssets is outside the Mods/ folder. In My Games/BTS/CustomAssets/ but i do know nothing about how it's related to EnhancedTechConquests.

CustomAssets is outside the Mods/ folder. In My Games/BTS/CustomAssets/ but i do know nothing about how it's related to EnhancedTechConquests.

Checked every folder there and absolutely Nothing there about EnhancedTechConquest. And the .ini file found there is for Civ IV. Would seem to be well hidden from view.

EDIT:Okay after re reading Afforess' post and following his link the Assets\Config\EnhancedTechConquest.new is the only place to adjust those settings. Which are out of the normal players field of knowledge and view.

Sorry to be a pest over this but I needed this info.

JosEPh

45°38'N-13°47'E;13708464 said:
So as I supposed and explained on our bug tracker, that part of the code never worked in any AND version (or C2C) and changing or removing that ini did nothing.

You have totally confused me now! As from what I get from Dancing Hoskuld is that the Config.ini Did work.

Maybe it's my concentration today as I found out that my Best friend died yesterday morning and my comprehension level is messed up today. Or maybe you misread what DH posted? IDK right now.

JosEPh :(

You have totally confused me now! As from what I get from Dancing Hoskuld is that the Config.ini Did work.

Maybe it's my concentration today as I found out that my Best friend died yesterday morning and my comprehension level is messed up today. Or maybe you misread what DH posted? IDK right now.

JosEPh :(

It's linking definition that tells BUG what the Python does etc is the Assets\Config\EnhancedTechConquest.new.xml. It contains some extra code that does not appear to have been completed about the default parameters. These are not used anywhere that I can see. Zappara was probably going to add a page to the BUG Options screens but did not finish. It is supposed to use a new UserSettings file EnhancedTechConquest.ini but doesn't and it should create one but it doesn't.

This doesn't mean anyway that we can't complete that code. I can't remember getting techs from conquering a city since I was playing early RoM, so that's probably the reason.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13708532 said:
This doesn't mean anyway that we can't complete that code. I can't remember getting techs from conquering a city since I was playing early RoM, so that's probably the reason.

Wait, what? :confused:

What about the messages like "The people of [conquered city] have taught you some of the secrets of [tech the enemy had that you don't]" or "You find nothing worth learning from the inhabitants of [conquered city]"?

Meaning that you can capture progress towards a tech that you don't have by conquering a city? (But you still need to finish researching it yourself, even if it's only the last :science: that you need)

Isn't this mechanic what we're talking about?

I'm downloading the newest rev, will try this when possible.
This is a very good mechanic, would be a shame to lose it.

Top Bottom