Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

hmm, thats rather sad.

i thought i give this game a second chance. but the ai behaviour gets me really annoyed. does that change with higher difficulty levels? even a little bit?

is there maybe a part in some xml where the effects of different difficulty can be found?

what are possible bonuses? speed of teaching, number of crosses needed for a new colonist, ff are harder to obtain, ref is larger? can you name some...?

thanks so far

I can't quantify it but with the patch the REF increases faster at higher levels. Also the other European colonies are a lot stronger. Not necessarily because the AI is improved, I think they just get given more resources to use. The Indian tribes seem to be more aggressive too although that may be a function of map size. I usually play on a very big map and each tribe consequently has more villages so they are stronger.

One very noticeable change is that scouts that are only injured from a bad experience with an Ancient Ruin on lower levels will die if the same thing happens on Revolutionary (Seasoned Scouts are still OK though).

I've attached the XML file with many of the details about difficulty levels. I can't tell you what every line means that because that would take a while and some of them I'm not exactly sure.

Attachments

• CIV4HandicapInfo.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 189
thats what i was looking for. sort of reader unfriendly ;) but ok. and with a little guessing and fantasy i can imagine what all this coding means

thanks

The basic standard is, as the difficulty gets higher, things are cheaper and the AI gets more of the stuff that you pay more for and get less. :)

next question :D

i was playing a pre-made map in which there are some ressource errors. some of the cotton are placed on grassland. this means that my master cottonplanter isnt able to do his job. so i thought i might change the underlying terrain by myself.
but somehow i dont know how to use the wb appropriatly.

is there any way that allows me to change the terrain, cancel the game or wb and restart in 1492 without the possibility of a wb activation?

thanks

It appears that Veteran Soldiers / Dragoons loose their promotions when they join settlements to work, is this true?

No, they still retain all their promotions as you can see if you 'mouse over' your vet while he is working as a fisherman etc.

Thanks. I guess I shuffled those more experienced ones to outer cities and was looking at Veteran recruits.

1) How can you go back and buy a Founding Father after you said no initially?
2) Does the village you place the missionary have to grow pop or be big to give you converts or will any 1 pop village do?

1) How can you go back and buy a Founding Father after you said no initially?

You can't. If you don't get the Founding Father when he is offered to you, you don't have another opportunity to do so.

2) Does the village you place the missionary have to grow pop or be big to give you converts or will any 1 pop village do?

I never paid any attention to what size the village was, just what occupation was taught there, so I'd say size doesn't matter.

You can't. If you don't get the Founding Father when he is offered to you, you don't have another opportunity to do so.

To clarify, another player will pick them up.

I never paid any attention to what size the village was, just what occupation was taught there, so I'd say size doesn't matter.

I'm sure it doesn't matter what size the tribe is. Though I've never specifically taken notice.

Yes I am a newbie, just picked up this game with a backup copy of civ 4 complete. I was wondering can you add a mod for unit formations, so the musket units have more than the standard number of figures in a unit? I am going to download it soon. I have heard mostly bad things about it. But I want to judge it myself, what mods do you recommend I add to it? Thanks for help and I am sure it will be fun.

Definitely install the patch! The game is bugged without the patch. And use this patch from the downloads section not the in-game patch as it's bugged too. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11915

Play a couple games with patched Colonization then head into the mods section for a look.

There's a couple of good mods to try:
- Mare Nostrum: Play colonization in the mediteranean in the ancient age.
- Plantation Economy which modifies the economy to a farm based economy.
- Ein Platz an der Sonne: Play colonization in Africa during the 1800's.
- BLU Mod: All new graphics and unique units.

And of course my own Mod:
- Age of Discovery II: Aimed to provide a complete colonial experience in the Americas.

With it's ModMod:
- Age of Further Discovery

Definitely install the patch! The game is bugged without the patch. And use this patch from the downloads section not the in-game patch as it's bugged too. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11915

Play a couple games with patched Colonization then head into the mods section for a look.

There's a couple of good mods to try:
- Mare Nostrum: Play colonization in the mediteranean in the ancient age.
- Plantation Economy which modifies the economy to a farm based economy.
- Ein Platz an der Sonne: Play colonization in Africa during the 1800's.
- BLU Mod: All new graphics and unique units.

And of course my own Mod:
- Age of Discovery II: Aimed to provide a complete colonial experience in the Americas.

With it's ModMod:
- Age of Further Discovery
Dale Kent right? Ok yes, I will do that for sure. I wanted to ask you is road to war updated to patch 3.19? I wanted to say that I love your combat mod, it makes the game much more interesting and realistic. If you ever decide to create a World War One version of road to war, or just a World War One mod, I would love to help out. You are one of the modders that could certainly bring that to life.

Thank you for the advice on Colonization. I certainly will download the patch, thanks for the link. Can't wait to try AoD II. Thanks Dale

New to MOD'g and Posting Threads, so please be considerate of that
Ex-programmer, so I understand the principles involved.
I can type, so I can Thread?

I was excited when I saw the "[BtS] Terraforming, Forest Planting mod" created by Avian.
==> I'd sure like to know if that MOD can be implemented in CIV4 "vanilla".
(I attempted to communicate with Avian, but I'm sure I took a wrong turn somewhere)

It appears that the Terraforming, Forest Planting MOD is exclusively for BTS.
I miss this ability from CIV3.

Played CIV3 over two years and now CIV4 about six months.
(Didn't like CIV4 at first, but have totally fallen in Love with it)

==>I'm also very interested in MOD'g a "sentry" ability.
==>"Sentry" with awakening when ANY UNIT is within visibility, tiles, etc.

I've already gathered most of the Start MOD'g info from here.
Not really interested in the graphics aspect of the MOD's I liked to implement.
More interested in the functionality and (as I've read) unerring interaction with the AI.

Is anyone out there who can productively respond? :):confused::)

Are you trying to mod for Civ BTS or for Civ Col?

CIV4 "Vanilla". At least, that's what I've read it's called. Just plain 'ole CIV4.
I'm certain it's not any of the special editions. Just the regular edition.

Top Bottom