starvation

stratego

Trying to be good.
I'm not a newbie, this is just a newbie question.

Does starvation have any effect other than a lost of a citizen point every turn?

okay, if anyone is going to answer this question, please also answer mine:

How to fix starvation? I'm in 1640AD with cities going into 16-17 points, but they are suffering from starvation. How to fix for this problem?

Originally posted by Runited

How to fix starvation? I'm in 1640AD with cities going into 16-17 points, but they are suffering from starvation. How to fix for this problem?

If you've irrigated (and railroaded) all plains/grassland/desert/floodplain tiles within the city limits, then the answer is no.
If you haven't irrigated everything yet, irrigate some more tiles...

@stratego: AFAIK, there's no other effect from starvation but the loss of one population point.

what's WLTKD?

What does this mean.. so is there a way to avoid starvation problems from the beginning?

We Love The King Day (=WLTKD).

Occurs when you have at least 50% happy citizens, pop 6 or more, NO unhappy citizens and of course no starvation.

Reduces waste and corruption, and gives you nifty fireworks above your city!

Actually, WLTKD reduces waste only. It also makes city more culture-flip resistant and propaganda resistant (last one hardly useful though).

One of the causes of starvation late in the game when you have railroads and irrigation everywhere is the food loss during anarchy when you change governments. All you need to due in this case is wait for anarchy to end and production will return to normal as long as you choose one of the governments that allow full production.

Originally posted by Svar

One of the causes of starvation late in the game when you have railroads and irrigation everywhere is the food loss during anarchy when you change governments. All you need to due in this case is wait for anarchy to end and production will return to normal as long as you choose one of the governments that allow full production.

Hmm.. interestingly, i was NOT in anarchy.. i'm in 1600AD with 40 cities going on 100... is it possible that the cities are too close? Could it be that they have to share food productions?

Hmm.. interestingly, i was NOT in anarchy.. i'm in 1600AD with 40 cities going on 100... is it possible that the cities are too close? Could it be that they have to share food productions?

OK. Here is probably whats happening. When a city reaches full population if it produces only 1 extra food, eventually an extra citizen will be added but he will need 2 food and be 1 food short so the city will starve until the population is reduced by 1 and the cycle will repeat itself.

To stop that adjust your production so there is no extra food or 2 extra food so when that last citizen is added he will not starve.

I still don't understand (i'm sorry)... if there's no extra food.. how can the citizen be born without food shortage?

If there is no food surplus, you won't get more. But, a food surplus of 1 will give you growth eventually, and if that new worker can't harvest atleast 1 more food, he will starve.

As for cities too close together, you can easily see if the squares are being worked by another city. Close cities can be very effective in the early times, when the max size is 12, but will not allow them to grow very big in the modern time.

If I see a city starving in this situation, I usually pump out a worker or settler. I'm not interested in maximizing population because it means converting mined tiles to irrigated tiles (i.e. trading production for population). IMO, cutting production is the less desirable option.

hmm.. all this sounds super complicated.. does anyone of you actually use Automated workers? i do that, and i seem to get the jobs done fine..

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
I stay away from automated Workers. They just have no sense of priority.

This is very true and very important.

Also... If you raze enemy cities you get slave workers. Slaves are free (no gold upkeep cost) but work at half speed. You you can be way more efficient and beat the game by micromanaing the workers. With that said, if micromanagement takes ALL of the fun out of the game for you :cry: then don't do it. I actually enjoy micromanagment. It's a big part of the strategery of the game.

For examples of effective worker micromanagment, read these articles in the War Academy
Cracker's CIV3 Opening Plays Site
Tutorial: Babylon's Diety Settlers

Top Bottom