Civilization III: Worldwide

Hi,

I've just downloaded and started playing this mod. Looks awesome, but I am having lots of issues with the on screen text.

It starts on the game rules screen, where lots of things don't seem to be right or working. For example:

the drop downs for the computer opponents all have the word "DIFFICULTY" as the default civ. Next in the list is "Please wait..." and then it has the civ names listed.

the victory conditions and other selection options only give check boxes for the first 6 options.

any button that should say "random" says "DIFFICULTY".

Makes it pretty difficult to know what i am setting up.

Once in game, right clicking on units gives lots of options that are listed as "Great, lets play the game". I keep coming across other places where text doesn't seem right (particularly in the pedia).

Also, not sure if I should be seeing more details in the main window - there is nothing to tell me about how much money I'm making/losing, what i am researching etc without going into the advisors.

Have I set something up wrong? I am playing the Steam version, have tried both 2.7 and 2.8 in both the conquests/conquests and conquests/Scenarios directories.

Thanks for any advice.

to fix the text you just need to go into the texts folder inside worldwide open labels and insert a extra line with unknown in it between ping and host i havent been able to fix the victory conditions and other selection options.

Hey, Demilich, thanks for trying out the game. Unfortunately, your computer has suffered an invasive malware virus that is commonly known as a "Firaxis update". The folks at 2k and Firaxis decided to invest some money in providing multi-player support for the game on Steam since the demise of gamespy. Such efforts are appreciated by Civ 3 fans since the game is old and not particularly profitable. Unfortunately, the quality control exhibited wouldn't even cut it in the Czechoslovakian Navy, as the March steam update caused innumerable problems. One specific problem is that Firaxis replaced the old text files with new ones so that they could take out references to gamespy and add steam. Makes sense. The addition of extra lines, however, means that previous text files such as those in mods are now out of whack with the steam version of Civ 3. Now, I know these cats released a second update a few days ago but I'm guessing that if you are connecting to steam then you already have this recent update.

Here's my thoughts. If you go into your worldwide folder (by default probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Worldwide\Text) you can find the LABELS.txt text file. It may be worth a shot to rename this file to something like KEEPUPTHEGREATWORKFIRAXIS.txt and then reload the game. Civ III should then default to its regular Labels.txt file and the labels would then match up correctly. I can't test this because I still play the disks and don't have the steam version. Can't imagine why though.

Alternately, if someone posts the text files from the new, updated steam version, it's possible that I could make new Worldwide text files specifically for Steam users.

Crosspost: Or while I was typing all that nonsense you could just follow caddysax's infinitely simpler suggestion.

Thanks for the help guys. Both suggestions worked for getting the text labels right, though still don't have the checkboxes for most of the victory conditions/rules. Let me know if anyone comes up with a way to get these to show.

I had same problems...
and resolved them with starting the game with the NoRaze.exe patch

All mods in this forum works fine with NoRaze versions, even with Steam game installed

Will check it out thanks.

I've played around with about a dozen starts so far, and everything looks pretty cool. I am having real problems with strategic resources though - I haven't found horses within half a map (I've been playing around exploring huge maps) of my starting position in any of those games. Is this intended? Or have I just had particularly bad luck?

Sometimes it's just bad luck. Claiming resources and placing cities is even more important in this game than it is anyways. Good thing is even though you lack a new resource you will usually still be able to upgrade your forces ( at least to a certain point) and will require the resources (only) to get top notch forces.

Just a brief update on this game. I find this mod to be dated and unbalanced in many ways. I don't have the kind of time now that I had several years ago, so I tested a number of concepts to see if it would be possible to do a real update. The mod originally developed organically and haphazardly mainly from a desire to flavor the game and add some new ideas and lots of graphics. So any update would need planning and a lot of time to work on it.

To do this project some justice, I went back to the drawing board and sought to redesign the thing from scratch. The tech tree has been reworked, governments are being altered and building branches redefined. Combat and units are getting an overhaul. Unit values are being calculated and re-evaluated to significantly reduce auto-production and make them valuable in their own right to both AI and human.

I don't want to post too much on details since things are in constant flux. It's going to take some time. Concurrently, the WW3 game is being updated and I hope to have that done in the near future so I can lay that to rest. Hopefully by the time this gets updated people will still be playing Civ 3, which, if the past is any indication...

Honestly, for what each Civ might bring to the table, I still play from 3 on up on a pretty regular basis.

Just an idea, but you should see if the transport and assault choppers can be based off of the carriers.

Of course as soon i get comfortable with the mod, and get things set up to my personnal preference, this happens. So what settings did i chance that made this happen? It happened first with the Stupa building.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 179
Hey, JediRanger. Did the game work correctly before you made changes? There's no way to really tell what is causing the crash without knowing what alterations were made. Has the Pediaicons.txt file been changed or replaced?

As for the choppers. you could make the attack helicopters air units so they can load on carriers. The transport helicopters cannot load at all. No unit that is a transport can load onto another transport (except for armies).

Hey, JediRanger. Did the game work correctly before you made changes? There's no way to really tell what is causing the crash without knowing what alterations were made. Has the Pediaicons.txt file been changed or replaced?

As for the choppers. you could make the attack helicopters air units so they can load on carriers. The transport helicopters cannot load at all. No unit that is a transport can load onto another transport (except for armies).

Yes it did. All that i had changed this time was the strength of the B-2 and the A-10.
I am not sure if the Pediacons has been changed. Any way of finding out?

You'll want to search for the ICON_BLDG_Sea_Port in the Pediaicons.txt file to start. It's located in the Text folder.

Found it. also, the file hasnt been changed since 2012, which is when i assume you last updated it.

On a side note, a complete list of changed i made:
Increased B-2s strength to 120
Increased the a-10s strength to 90
On the map:
added 10 cities with the treasury wonder in each of them.
added 30-40 units

Before these changes the game worked perfectly. I am considering to see if the original game still worked.

Great modification! I play in new game! :)

The mod features very discloses nations, but somewhat lacking really systemic.

If infantry units and tanks are called Corps, the machine gun unit is not appropriate.
If you want to meet the art fire, to do Tank Destroyer Corps or Self-propelled gun .
for example in WWII:
Rus – SU-100 or ISU-152
US – M18
GB – Achilles
Germ – StuG III or Ferdinand

Tanks are very strong and there are 100 sheets (Infantry is 80 boards). Think tanks need to make the cost of 500-1000 shields, because in fact the tanks are very expensive.
The principle of mod - infantry heart of the Army.

armored vehicles (ex. rus BA-10) - light tanks for quick shots on roads (in really).

I have a suggestion divide the army in tracked and wheeled.
An example of Russia.
wheeled:
Infantry BTR-152 (or BTR-60 – 90) – 10.20.3
Tank Destroyer 2S14 – 16(20).10.3 (attack attacking stack)
Self-propelled gun 2S23 – 10(20).10.3 (can bomb hit)
wheeled vehicles able to move quickly on the roads, but it can not overcome the swamps, mountains, deserts, tundra...
tracked:
Infantry BMP – 20.20.2
MBT T-72 – 30.16.2 (attack attacking stack)
Self-propelled gun 2S19 – 10(30).10.2 (can bomb hit)

(property values only to demonstrate the ratio of classes)
All countries have a similar system.

With regards to imaging units.
I had a dream to make the infantry APC and IFV in the form on man and machine, that the unit had a view similar Army when charged with a technique. Machine and standing next to an infantryman.
To the player could see and technology, and a soldier's uniform nation.

Is there a way to remove some of the unique units and return that to the default? For example, the native American units on the American faction.

Yes, but it would take some work. You would have to go back and replace all the unit entries with the original graphics. Or delete those units entirely and add the old ones back. Either way, it would involve some substantial modding.

Top Bottom