List of Useful & Free Software Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might look at a conventional undelete application (sorry, I don't have one to recommend). There is a chance that your system restore didn't overwrite some of them....ie: it may have used a quick format and put the OS at the beginning of the drive. You really should do this ASAP and avoid using your computer as much as possible until you attempt recovery.

You really should do this ASAP and avoid using your computer as much as possible until you attempt recovery.

I learned this the hard way. :( I also learned quite a bit about data recovery along the way...

Does anyone know a freeware program that lets you take several floppy disks, transfer them to one CD, yet install properly? I have several games & programs I'd like to transfer, I'm pretty sure my mom will let me use her computer which has a floppy drive. I tried before, simple copy and paste but it kept asking me to insert disc two. (Or at least tell me how to do it properly -- I guess I forgot something.)

Thanks. :)

Old games? And some of them I can't find as abandonware.

Some of the better data recoveries cost. If you're only gonna use it once, don't bother, but if you can get more use out of it, sure.

And I'd recommend you do backups, too. Either on discs or USB devices. Both are cheaper than the cost of data recovery!

Microsoft used to include an undelete app with windows, so the idea of paying for one is unfortunate. Since they put a recycle bin on the desktop it's been much less sought after. I find it hard to believe that there are no free ones out there but I remember that last time I went looking for one, the first search pages were full of shareware, like it's a cut-throat business or something.

@ Zelig: Thanks for the laugh, how dare they come on floppies :lol:

@ aimee: I once had success with copying all files from all floppies to a single directory on my HDD and the install went through smoothly.

Somebody told me to check the installer's INI files.

Tweak UI for Windows Vista -- nothing earth-shattering, all the settings can be found elsewhere, but this puts them all in one place.

Does anybody know a decent free screen capture program with good audio (captured from sound card) and the ability to select a single window? CamStudio gave me this awful "farting" noise and I haven't found anything else.

Considering it was last edited over two years ago, I think it's safe to say it is not being maintained....

;)

Wow, and I still remember when this thread was started. Time flies no?

Start Menu Organizer
This lets you organize the start menu into categories (they provide some for you, but you can add and delete as you wish.) Good if you have 500 programs. Hasn't been updated in a while, but it does work decently. A keeper!

Start Menu Organizer
This lets you organize the start menu into categories (they provide some for you, but you can add and delete as you wish.) Good if you have 500 programs. Hasn't been updated in a while, but it does work decently. A keeper!

Wait, so what does that do that I cannot do without it?
Windows already has the Start menu in a folder and you can organize it from there.

Wait, so what does that do that I cannot do without it?
Windows already has the Start menu in a folder and you can organize it from there.

Yes, but it can get overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom