Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

Once again, I tend to think there was enough effort to change the images, but reasonable minds may differ.

BTW, the image in your avatar is trademarked (ETA: As is mine, fwiw).

I for one just would really like to know if Firaxis did the right thing here. That's all.

what exactly is the right thing?
i for one would like to know what a copyright lawyer thinks - my suspicion is fair use applies and no law was broken. fair use can apply to things that are being sold.

actually, i don't really care. all the conversation in this thread is just noise detracting from the fun image source finding =p

Once again, I tend to think there was enough effort to change the images, but reasonable minds may differ.

BTW, the image in your avatar is trademarked (ETA: As is mine, fwiw).

No, it's derivative work as it provides commentary (most of Disney's merchandise is made in China). It was done by me using all original materials.

But, anyhow, here's more!

Satellite.

A few of 3 Flasks and vials were used. Rearranged and then copied, because Civ V loves copying itself.

Speaking of which, when Civ V copies itself, the public wins!. I went through pages of people holding guns and muskets and could not locate the original stock photo. Perhaps it's an original.

They look similar, composition is the same. Perhaps used as a reference. Let the public decide!

:culture: When a problem comes along, you must flip it... and remove the IBM logo. :culture:

Not too stealthy there (hi-yo!)

These fit well enough, the shield specially. The sword look damn similar, but the squares at the end of the handdles were aparently made bigger. Perhaps this was not the original sword.

Still looking for more.

in the computer icon the artist left the keyboard flipped, so the d-pad and numpad are on the left - funny.

I don't know about the UN in NY, but in Geneva (the second-most-major HQ of the UN), there's one flag for every member and they are in a set order (alphabetical by name in French). So, with the exception of a new member being admitted, they're fixed. I would tend to assume the same were true in NY.

yeah, it is. but what i was getting at in that post is that the wind is blowing differently. and because of what it is, there are a lot of pictures of that one building.

When I was watching a video of a Simpson's song on Youtube, I seem to remember someone saying horizontally flipping the image/video renders copywrite null and void. Maybe that's why so many are flipped?

I have no idea why they fliped so many of these either, but here's a bit on an insight I found:

But maybe a more technical reason that I though was because...

In Youtube, when you upload, the video frames of the video being uploaded are sent to the main server of Youtube. The server then compares any frames to any other frames of copyright videos.

Example, you're uploading a Barney video which is mirrored. Originally, Barney is on the right, now Barney is on the left. While uploading, the video frames are being sent to the server, looking for anything exactly where Barney is on the left, surely they won't find anything because the real video is with Barney is on the right. So it easily passes.

How could this possibly aply to avoiding copyright violations in Civ V?, I have no idea, it sounds insane (movie distributors would be releasing fliped versions of movies and calling them their own).

Perhaps the artist was thinking that it would help if the stock images were fliped too?, I mean whoever was that made these sadly wasn't too bright (we just keep on finding these). That most images are fliped was probably an inept attempt on his/her part.

When I was watching a video of a Simpson's song on Youtube, I seem to remember someone saying horizontally flipping the image/video renders copywrite null and void. Maybe that's why so many are flipped?

No, that's wrong.
Flipping the images on Youtube is to not getting caught again so easily.
When a video gets deleted, it's checksum (based on the exact images and sequences) will be added to a blacklist, so that every exact copy will directly get deleted (or blocked, or whatever). Flipping it circumvents this mechanic.

On topic: It's getting a bit shameful here :blush:.

In my opinion, I have to say all this did was make me laugh ... it's funny really. I originally interpreted it as a reference to our own popular culture. Maybe i'm just looking too much into laziness though ..?

Anyway, it made me laugh. I guess their work was successful!:lol:

Excellent thread.

Firaxis should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway, a lot of these graphics certainly do look organic! (Not home grown though. ;))

Yes, they can !

Attachments

• bobama.png
    bobama.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 8,153
Am I the only one who really likes how the icons look and understands that they didn't have the time to design them all themselves?

Top Bottom