Congratulations! Your two biomes are:

Desert and Grassland!

Spoiler North King :

Plains and Mountain!

Spoiler Taillesskangaru :

Mountain and Hills!

I will as soon as possible very carefully concretely outline the process of taking a Cycle 1 turn as I prefer to be as off-hand as possible. If not tonight, see the guide tomorrow.

Can deserts include cold deserts?

And why surround us by water, can I just make a large desert around everything in the end to have an eternal desert at the edges of the world?

Can deserts include cold deserts?

And why surround us by water, can I just make a large desert around everything in the end to have an eternal desert at the edges of the world?

It's pretty much a method to get water into the world rather than maknig an awkward water biome. :)

Deserts can be whatever desert - I just chatted with Thomas.Berubeg tho, he had this awesome idea of allowing peopel to combine terrains in their provinces (so you could get stuff as creative as plains-mountain, grassland-tundra or desert-marsh) which I am currently thinking about how to do.

There are no limits in regards to what your province can border anyways. You can have a plot of grass inside dry deserts and hills as long as you follow the map drawing rules. :).

No need for a water biome! the people with "green" biomes should be allowed to make lakes, and we can have a "Dry" world :)

Otherwise we will have just a continent of all biomes, surrounded by water.

It looks good. I'm basing the map drawing on a process I've been working on for an unfinished pen-and-paper strategy game.

It's up to you guys to make sense of the terrain after all. :)

Let me illustrate how you are allowed to draw provinces. For simplicity, I use a gray background which will not be present on the map that is presented Tuesday. Neither will I note any terrain in this explanation.

The first map drawn will be by me, containing two provinces in total.
(I'm contemplating to draw three provinces initally so the first participant will have more of a choice when drawing his provice)

(ALSO, ALWAYS USE THE .png PICTURE FORMAT.)

Each turn, you will draw one province.

When drawing a province, your new province must border at least two other provinces.

You are not allowed to draw a province that only borders one other province.

You are allowed to have your new province border more than two provinces.

You are allowed to have your province touch the southern or western map border - but not the rest.

Biomes

You have earlier been given two different biomes to use for your drawn provinces. You may use either for your two provinces. This means that when drawing two provinces, if you have a Plains and a Mountain, you can choose two draw two Plains or two Mountains or one of each.

In order to denote what kind of biome you have chosen for your province, simply label the province with a text tool.

~

Some players have enquired about the possibility to combine terrain, and for the sake of my own sanity, I have to decline on this.

It is perfectly possible to fix during the later stages where players are given 'softer' tools - when we design cultures and describe places. It will happen.

Remember that biomes are not monolithic. Two neighbouring Deserts might not look like each other at all. To make a crude example, look at the instances of 'forests' from Magic the Gathering here. All of these (while admittedly magical) would be considered a forest in our optics, places as diverse as this and this and this could belong to the same biome. Do not think of your biomes of more of a creative hindrance than it already is. :)

Size limits? Or what is too small and too large? (For example I want to make a tiny swam and a large swath of desert).

Size limits? Or what is too small and too large? (For example I want to make a tiny swam and a large swath of desert).

"Anything reasonable and nicelooking works".

I trust you to have enough self-control not to screw up. Don't make it too much of course. I don't think 4x the size of the original provinces will ever be ok.

Don't forget that you said we are allowed to freely expand the map (northward and eastward I assume)

Right, this is true as well. Players are allowed to increase the map size north- and eastward.

Yes I realized the system couldn't handle that. That's why I said no. I completely forgot about islands, which I find is weird for me, coming from Denmark.

Do you have any idea how to make islands possible? Looking for ideas.

EDIT: What about... You may make a 'sea' province instead of your own province and then attach your own province on the other side?

Just make island it's own province, your island may look however you like and connect to the mainland however you like. It can even be 90% land with a itty island at the end.

Roll a dice and give say, 1/3 of us island options to use with one of our terrains. That makes 1/6 of the world with islands.

So what do you guys think?

Should I make a straightforward mechanical utility that allows everyone to make a sea and an island during one turn?

Or should I allow a random assortment of participants to draw islands freely?

Add islands in the end in a way that fits with existing land? I noticed also no rivers etc... Islands could come with rivers etc in some second part of creating the physical world.

That might only make for one-province islands though. It all depends on how we do it. The next Cycle is all about terrain features such as rivers and foliage. I could make islands part of that process as well.

I prefer doing islands during the next Cycle. Makes for more time for me to smoothen out. :)

Top Bottom