I think the AI wants you to kill them

roscoepfox

Chieftain
Its been awhile since I’ve played a full game of Civ 5, but I finished one yesterday. I don’t get the AI and its attitude towards warmongers or diplomacy. Well into the 19th century the AI civs were still calling me bloodthirsty and all that for wiping out Indonesia over a thousand years ago.

Meanwhile they’ll fight each other and city states, but if I do it, I’m bloodthirsty? And if I’m such a dangerous and warlike civ why would you call me up just to tell me I suck? Why provoke someone that you consider warlike but that’s also way more powerful? I’m more likely going to wipe you out of take most of your cities just to shut you up then.

(Edit: Let me add that for the 1000 years between wars the AI's pretty much chain denounced me, even the ones that I traded with regularly, which gave me 0 incentive to play nice.....and I wasn't trying to be a warmonger, I was trying to win a science/builder game)

Sweden asked me to join in a war against Brazil…which was ridiculously weak. (Brazil did however have a city nearby my borders with oil and uranium that I wanted). So I agreed. In the middle of the war Gustav calls me up to tell me I’m a jerk and he hopes my little war is going badly. Huh? He’s my ally and was in the process of taking Brazil’s last few cities and their capitol! The next turn he calls to make a trade deal and tell me the war is going well.

Brazil had been reduced to one city…their capitol. Which I had surrounded with modern armor while they were still using riflemen. I offered peace for the price of 30 gold. They refused, wanting to not give me the gold. (they had 87 gold on the trade screen). Huh? I can literally wipe you out right then and there and you won’t pay 30 gold to live? Well, then you’re too stupid to live.

Meanwhile Attila got caught stealing tech from me. I asked him to stop spying. He told me to get stuffed. I asked him to stop sending missionaries. He told me to go screw myself. Huh? He’s got GW infantry I’ve got Stealth bombers, mech infantry and Death Robots right on his border. (I didn’t wipe him out but I took 4 of his 7 cities and liberated Venice from him.) At the same time Arabian missionaries are annoying me. I asked him to stop. He refused. Now he’s on the other side of the world, but it wouldn’t have been difficult to launch an invasion for me. As a matter of fact the only reason I didn’t was because I launched my spaceship and won. Personally I think the option to declare war should be added to spying and even missionaries as in “stop doing that or I’ll destroy you”…and the other AIs should take note that if they do the same thing they might end up in a war.

If the AIs thought I was so dangerous why didn’t they attack me earlier before I was too powerful for them? Since I had totally eclipsed them in power why ‘poke the bear’?

Warmonger-hate and their own ability/bias towards warmongering themselves are completely divorced from one another. Ramkhamhaeng (Siam) is even worse than Pedro/Atilla/Sweden :lol: (he also tries to hog all the CS).

The thresholds for capitulation/surrender, as well as the thresholds for what is defined as "bigger/smaller military" and "winning/losing the war" don't seem to be very well tested from what is defined inside the GlobalAIDefines/GlobalAIDiplomacyDefines xml files.

Top Bottom