Future Quick games - looking for submissions

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Theoden has agreed to administer the quick-games going forward, but he needs submissions.

If you have a good idea for a submission, then please e-mail the save to him at quickgame@gotm.civfanatics.net, along with a plan as to what the objective should be etc. He will select them and run them periodically.

When submitting games, please give consideration to what the learning points should be for the scenario - the games going forward will hopefully have a nice balance of trading, diplomacy, growth, economy, research, warfare etc would be good - these are 'training' exercises, after all!

Please limit the saves to GOTM / COTM saves (for now) - this allows people to see how other people have handled situations in games that they may already be familiar with.

Just fill me in here; What are the characteristics of a "Quick game" ?
I read here about "objectives", "learning points", "training exercises". I saw in Quick 14 that the game starts in 170 AD and the only goal is to reach a certain Era.

I could design some games for you, if you tell me what rules I am bound by.

It would be great if you could design some.

I generally try to keep these guidelines when making one:
- it should preferably be based on a gotm/cotm (so far all have been). It should be a situation that could occur if you played from the start of the gotm start save it's based on. This is the reason for the relatively late starting dates.
- there has to be a focus ("learning point"), sometimes two focuses, on what skill the game is going to practice (e.g. science, economy, war).
- the objective requires you to accomplish a certain goal within the focus of the game (e.g. the game with the objective 'reach Modern Age' had science as focus). Usually the objective is 'how fast can xx be accomplished' but more complex objectives can be used to as in the cotm 2 quickgame. The objective is essientially the only victory condition for the game.
- it must be quick. Generally between 1 and 4 hours is a good playing time. The cotm 3 quickgame is an example of a game that took way too much time.

"training exercises" refers to the general concept of the quick games. It's just as much a learning event/training exercise in addition to offering a bit of competetion.

An example of a quick game: Based on gotm xx, starts in xxBC when French just entered MA. Focus is war and objective is to conquer England, which can be done in xx turns taking xx hours.

I hope that explains it :)

If it has to be based on a xOTM game than I'm afraid you won't get many entries from me. So far I've only played 1 (the last SGOTM) as the competitiveness element has little attraction for me.
I could design some good quick games in the editor or started myself, just they will not be based on GOTM. Still interested ?

I would be interested in such designed games. I really don't mind whether thery are based on c/gotms or not as long as they are fun to play.

I suppose we could broaden the quick game concept a bit, my description only said 'preferably' after all. If you want to design games, but don't want to base it off gotm, then that's great too.

Until now games submitted by players have been just the game situation together with a comment about the focus, and I have taken care of the objective, extra rules (if any), etc. The game situation and the focus are the only things I really need, but of course if you want to do more than that, then I won't complain.

The SGOTMs might be a good place to look for ideas for people who don't have a lot of C/GOTM saves floating around on their computer. They still fit ainwood's request for games that there's a lot of information on, plus there are multiple saves available at roughly ten-turn intervals.

Also the regular succession games, possibly.

Nide idea to use SGOTMs. There must be lots of turning points during these games when teams wondered what might have been had they made a different choice.

The only downside is that most of them require players to install mods. Not a big deal, but for those who didn't play originally it may put them off playing a Quick Game that only runs for a few turns. Regular SGs may be preferable from this point of view.

That's true, I forgot about the mods.

Top Bottom