What is the best tile?

In the standard game, I get excited by a start that has grassland Gems. I know food is more crucial, but you get food in all starts; grass Gems are relatively rare - but when they do show up, they often come in bunches.

Yes, riverside grass Corn is great, but unless the grass Gems start comes with crap food tiles like plains Cow or dry Rice, I'd prefer a Gems start even to one with a couple of Corn + other (non Gold/Gems/Silver) stuff.

I believe the best possible worldbuildered tile is a lake (close to a coast so you can lighthouse and Moai it later) with an oasis and gold (with the mine worldbuildered). 5/1/12 before financial, colossus, lighthouse, moai, railroad and golden age boosts (although one has to worldbuiler in the railroad and can't build that naturally on the tile). With all of those, it's 6/4/15.

6-5-14 with dike
Spoiler :

Attachments

• WB Tile 6-5-14.JPG
    WB Tile 6-5-14.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 493
With few exceptions, I will trade any tile for Marble if I don't already have it.:)

I saw you last posted in this thread and I knew you were going to say marble :lol:

I was wondering if the restrictions of resources to certain basis tiles in the standard (and fractal) map scripts are listed somewhere?
I think I have only once seen incense on plains instead of desert on the maps I play.
And certain other resources are very frequent on very bad basis tiles: gold more often on desert than plains hills, silver frequently on tundra or ice hills and so on. I wonder if this is just to give an incentive to settle crappy tundra and ice for certain strategic or happiness resources.

I was wondering if the restrictions of resources to certain basis tiles in the standard (and fractal) map scripts are listed somewhere?
I think I have only once seen incense on plains instead of desert on the maps I play.
And certain other resources are very frequent on very bad basis tiles: gold more often on desert than plains hills, silver frequently on tundra or ice hills and so on. I wonder if this is just to give an incentive to settle crappy tundra and ice for certain strategic or happiness resources.

Corn and rice only spawn on grass, wheat only spawns on plains. Cows, pigs and sheep do not spawn on tundra, desert or snow. I can't recall seeing deer on plains, but that's probably just me. Gold does not spawn on tundra and snow (and grass?). Silver does not spawn in deserts. Gems always spawn on grass. Banana and sugar always spawn on grass. Most of the other calendar resources (barring incense) only spawn on grass or plains. Marble can spawn in tundra, stone can't. Whales don't spawn on coast (only on ocean).
I hope playing too much RFC hasn't polluted my knowledge of this topic...

Corn and rice only spawn on grass, wheat only spawns on plains. Cows, pigs and sheep do not spawn on tundra, desert or snow. I can't recall seeing deer on plains, but that's probably just me. Gold does not spawn on tundra and snow (and grass?). Silver does not spawn in deserts. Gems always spawn on grass. Banana and sugar always spawn on grass. Most of the other calendar resources (barring incense) only spawn on grass or plains. Marble can spawn in tundra, stone can't. Whales don't spawn on coast (only on ocean).
I hope playing too much RFC hasn't polluted my knowledge of this topic...

If Deer, Silver or Incense is in your capitol's BFC, then the map script will change those tiles to Plains. Otherwise, those will be Tundra or Desert for the Incense.

Ah, that explains the one plains incense I saw (enemy capital). It's a pity a plains incense would be a good tile, while I do not think I ever worked a desert incense tile.
Why the tundra/ice association with silver?

I seem to recall that the restrictions do not apply to the small chance that a mining resource will appear in a worked mined hill. Or will it always be gems on a worked grassland hill and never silver, except in ice/tundra?

wine is only on plains or plains hills, I think. And I hardly ever saw gems that were not covered by jungle

I had a good start recently, just wanted to share. Or have you ever seen a city with 270 million inhabitants and 5.500 beakers? :cool:

Btw, I don't know why but the lake tiles actually give 7/5/15, so even higher than the previously shown 6/5/14 tiles ;)

VoiceOfUnreason lists them in his War Academy Guide Comprehensive Guide to Terrain, Improvements, Resources, and City Placement, along with just about everything else you could want to know about standard tile yields. They're under the heading Resources and Terrain Types.

Ok, my last city was kind of decent. But it just wasn't large enough. So I regenerated the map and I guess I got lucky. The gold and the fish were all replaced with corn and there were plenty of rivers running through the oasis lakes. Why be satisfied with a population of 270 million when you can have a city with over 2 Billion people?!! And the extra 100 scientists meant much more beakers than that puny gold could ever offer.

This is the largest possible city by the way. If it gets any larger, the population becomes negative! Then, the further the city grows beyond this point, the negative population decreases towards 0. I didn't test it, but a size 364 city should theoretically arrive at 0 population. :crazyeye:

That's wrong.

IIRC there are a bunch of threads and someone (using corps/NP obviously) managed to get nearly a thousand size city.

Played standard map scripts only Fractal, Continents, etc and had never seen these floodplain on grassland things, are there some more? On what map scripts?

Max population legit city I've seen was posted in Strategy&Tips a year ago. 122 pop on Rainforest map script with Serial Mills and settled Great Merchants.

Fantasy Realm, mostly. Great Plains also produces some exotic tiles, though not on the floodplain grassland level.

That's wrong.

IIRC there are a bunch of threads and someone (using corps/NP obviously) managed to get nearly a thousand size city.

Yeah, of course cities can reach higher display sizes. In fact, 1000 is the limit. Any size over 1000 will automatically drop back to 1000. But the population in these cities, which is what I was talking about, won't be any larger (and actually in many cases much smaller, or even negative!). So while a 182 size city has a population of 2.13 billion, a size 183 city has -2.08 billion inhabitants. Size 184 -2.01 billion and so on. I don't fully understand the pattern, since cities with much higher sizes have a positive population again. E.g. a 364 city actually has about 2 billion again (positive), as I now found out. A size 1000 city likewise has around 2 billion. I didn't come across any city size though in which the population exceeded that of a 182 size city, namely 2.13 billion. I obviously didn't go through all the missing 800 city sizes up to 1000 though, so I can't exclude the possibility that maybe somewhere among them the population is indeed higher.

Top Bottom