*Spoiler* Qsc18r3 - Deity Redux Game Progress

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
This thread is somewhat of a spoiler for Gotm18-Celts so if you have not yet completed that game but still plan on submitting then you should probably avoid this thread.

This thread is for player timelines and progress reports to track and score progress of this Quick Game so that you can compare results to the real Qsc18-Celts game when they are released in about 10 days.

This game is setup for you on Deity difficulty. DO NOT SUBMIT this game to the GOTM or QSC scoring submissions or a big burly caveman will come to your house and smash your computer into a thousand tiny bits. It is very important that you do not post about this game in the main Gotm discussion threads at this time. But after the GOTM game closes you may freely contribute observations to the discussion of the Gotm18-Celts results and Qsc18 Results.

The way you should play the game for the first 120 turns is to think carefully about what you are doing and take some key timeline notes about what you do in the game. You can find lots of good examples of timelines in the QSC results threads in the main GOTM forum.

Divide your time line up into nice concise 30 turn blocks of time plus you want to take a break exactly at 1000bc. Here is a brief schedule outline:

turn 30 - first timeline break (no save file required)
turn 60 - second timeline break - 1525bc save file required
turn 80 - 1000bc save file required to compare to the real Qsc
turn 90 - 775bc third timeline break - (no save file required)
turn 120 - fourth timeline break - 170bc save file required (fixed date from 570)

You need to complete play an report your timeline events through turn60 by the end of the day on Friday, April 25th if at all possible.
Hold off and do not post any information about turns 61 through 120 until after Monday April, 28th. This will provide a little break for any discussion and will also help to keep the group together abit.

After you complete to turn 120, there will be a short discussion break and then you will be free to play the rest of the game if you wish.

We will use the QSC scoring format to designate a winner and a runner up for this Deity group when we reach the turn 120 mark.

REMEMBER that you must have read and followed the setup instructions for Gotm18-Celts in order for this game to run on your software without crashing. We know the game works perfectly so 99.995% of all crashes will absolutely be traced to failing to read and follow the setup instructions.

Good luck in your game and remember to share and have fun. ;)

Here are your save files:

Redux18 Deity for PTWv1.14f or PTW v1.21f

Redux18 Deity for Civ3v1.29

As usual, I'm desparately trying to complete the GOTM before the deadline. If I can eek out the time, I'll post my turns 1-60 by Friday. I've downloaded the PTW version. If I don't make it, I'll post to let you all now and eagerly read through the timelines of those of you who have more R/L time than I do.

Guess I'm first to post. Here are my first 30 turns. I probably played them too quickly as usual.

1: 4000 BC - Move settler NW to get fish in range. Move worker SW to bonus grass tile.

2: 3950 BC - Entremont founded, set to build warrior. Worker told to road BG. Science turned off.

5: 3800 BC - Worker told to build mine on BG.

7: 3700 BC - Entremont warrior->warrior. Plan is to send him to Rome->Iroquois->Greece->China->England. Therefore he heads E/SE.

11: 3500 BC - Citizen moved from BG to lake, warrior in 1 either way and 1 more commerce.

12: 3450 BC - Entremont warrior->settler. Entremont grows to 2. Lux set to 10%. Plan is to send this warrior to Carthage->France->Aztecs->Japan->Egypt.

13: 3400 BC - 8 Iroquois warriors appear outside Entremont.(contact #1) Roman warrior appears outside Entremont as well.(#2)

14: 3350 BC - I spot Greek SoD (4 hoplites, 4 warriors) west of Entremont.(#3) Greece and Iroquois have 6 techs each, Rome only has Alphabet and lacks Ceremonial Burial. I buy Pottery from Iroquois for 4gpt to prevent them from declaring war hopefully. Trade Ceremonial Burial and Pottery to Rome for Alphabet and 10 gold. I decide to try something unusual this game and build my first settler before a granary. I know I probably shouldn't be trying new things in a deity QSC but oh well. :)

16: 3250 BC - SoD's appear to be going north to the barb camps.

17: 3200 BC - I spot Utica.(#4) Carthage has Bronze Working, Masonry, and Mysticism. Greece and Iroquois are up the Wheel but I can't afford it.

19: 3100 BC - Entremont grows to 3. Lux to 30%. Man talk about bonus workers the AI has. As if they don't settle fast enough on deity I can only imagine with all these extra workers.

20: 3050 BC - Entremont settler->granary. Lux to 0%.

23: 2900 BC - Aztec jag apears outside Entremont.(#5) :eek:

24: 2850 BC - Aztecs have Bronze Working and Masonry only. Still can't afford The Wheel or Mysticism.

25: 2800 BC - Alesia founded by southern fish, set to worker.

26: 2750 BC - I spot a French warrior.(#6) France has same techs as Greece and Iroquois. I still can't afford any techs.

27: 2710 BC - Entremont grows to size 2 again. Lux to 10%. Carthage and Aztecs have the Wheel now.

28: 2670 BC - I spot Japanese warrior.(#7) Jeez they're all coming to me I don't even need to go find them. They all want a piece of the barb action. Japanese have Bronze Working, Masonry, and the Wheel, they lack Mysticism. I still can't buy Mysticism.

30: 2590 BC - Nothing much more.

With all the AI's converging on the barb camps they're all going to have contact really fast. Add in the bonus workers and this is like Deity Plus, will be hard to stay in it. I look forward to the challenge though.

edit: Added contact #'s.

4000 BC - This is the first time I have ever replayed the same map. How much will it affect my play?
Entermont is formed, and a warrior is ordered. The mandatory pottery is ordered at an absurd 36 turns.

3750 BC - Warrior #2 is ordered.

3550 BC - Warrior #3 is ordered.

3450 BC - We already get contact #1 - Rome. No trades are possible.

3400 BC - Settler #1 is ordered.

3350 BC - We get contact #2 - the Iroquois. They are already ahead of me, so no tech trading is possible.

3150 BC - We get contact #3 - the Greeks. They are already ahead of me, so no tech trading is possible.

3000 BC - Archer #1 is ordered.

2950 BC - Pottery is completed.

2900 BC - Alesia is formed by the coastal fish square and a granary is ordered.

2800 BC - We get contact #4 - Carthage. We finally get to do some trading. I ship Burial, $4/turn and $12 to Carthage and get Masonry in return.
We then trade Masonry to Rome for Bronze working and $8.

2670 BC - Our first extra worker is ordered.

2550 BC - We go back to military with another warrior.

2350 BC - We get contacts #5/6 with France / China even though we can't see any units. Is writing already out there?

4000 BC (1): Settle Entremont on the start and order up a warrior and start on Pottery at 100%. Due in 36 turns :eek:.

3950 BC (2): worker starts mining bg. to the SE.

3900 BC (3): zzzz

3850 BC (4):

3800 BC (5):

3750 BC (6): Build a warrior start another. Warrior will head SW.

3700 BC (7): Warrior is moving SW. away from the capital.

3650 BC (8): Mine completes start road. Warrior moves a top a hill and see more Bg.

3600 bC (9): Continue SW.

3550 BC (10): Warrior completes start another. This warrior heading SE.

3500 BC (11): Entremont grows and up lux to 20%, continue exploring. Boarders expand.

3450 BC (12): First contact with a Roman warrior. Sell him CB for 10 gold. He will not give up alphabet as would be expected.

3400 BC (13): A stack of 4 Iroquios warriors come out of the fog. And very quickly we are behind, Pottery, BW, and Alphabet. Scratch that there are 8 warriors in the area. New MP in Entremont allows lux to drop back to 0. continue with warrior production for now. Pottery due in 15 at 100%.

3350 bC (14): Continue exploring sw and SE.

3300 BC (15): more of the same.

3250 BC (16): A forth warrior completes and start on a temple as a pre build for the granary.

3200 BC (17): Spot green boarder to the SW and red to the SE. MM for commerce and lower research to 9 turns.

3150 BC (18): Contact the Greeks and find that we are down Masonry as well as Pottery etc.

3100 BC (19): Exploration to the West continues.

3050 BC (20): More of the same.

3000 BC (21): Capital grow to size 3, temple in 3 just in time for a switch a granary in 3. Spot a hut to the West.

2950 BC (22): Iroquios now have the wheel.

2900 BC (23): Learn Pottery start on BW. Switch to granary completed in 6 turns. Pop the hut and get Pictish warrior.

2850 BC (24): Kill one barb but we are redlined. Flee to the mountains.

2800 bC (25): zzzz

2750 BC (26): Contact the Aztecs across the great river.

2710 bC (27): Granary will complete next turn. MM to use the lake for commerce.

2670 BC (28): Granary completes start on settler. Make contact with Carthage.

2630 bC (29): Greeks start Pyramids.

2590 BC (30): The Aztecs follow suit. Settler is due in 4 turns. Rome is not too far ahead but the others are getting bigger and pulling away in tech.

Here are my first 30 or 31 moves. Is 4000 BC turn 1 or 0? Can you tell I am a silly computer programmer?

4000 BC(0): Entremont settled on the starting spot. Worker heads N.
3950 BC(1): Worker starts on a road. Science to 90% to work on Pottery. Building a warrior.
3900 BC(2): Zzzz
3850 BC(3): Zzzz
3800 BC(4): Worker starts on a mine.
3750 BC(5): Warrior built and heads SW.
3700 BC(6): Warrior heads Westward
3650 BC(7): Same
3600 BC(8): Same
3550 BC(9): Same
3500 BC(10): 2nd Warrior built and explores SE. 1st warrior spots carthage warrior and the edge of their lands. Third warrior started. Lux rate raised to support pop size of 2 in entremont.
3450 BC(11): Talk to Carthage. Trade warrior code for pottery with pottery having 20 turns to go. I am unsure if this is entirely wise, but the slow growth means a granary is pretty important. I also don't want to get into an early war with Carthage, so warrior code is hopefully ok. He would get it soon anyway. Rome also shows up. I trade pottery and ceremonial burial for alphabet. Rome and our celts are now equal in tech. For Carthage, he has masonry and I have ceremonial burial. Move warrior back into Entremont to remove the need for luxury and switch to working on writing at minimal (20%) science (it is 40 turns either way and I don't see us growing fast). I am now making 3 gpt.
3400 BC(12): 1st warrior is still heading westward. 2nd is guarding Entremont.
3350 BC(13): Well things certainly are busier on Deity than on Monarch. A greek phalanx is seen near Carthage and 3 iroquois warriors are marching north. Iroquois has all my techs + bronze working. Greece has all my techs, plus bronze working and masonry. I build a 3rd warrior and switch to granary. 1st warror sees a stack of 4 greek warriors and 4 hopolites. Remind me not to fight greece any time soon. 3rd warrior heads southward
3300 BC(14): First warrior continues mostly west and a bit south, second warrior guards, third warrior continues S. They stop on hills and mountains when they are nearby.
3250 BC(15): Same
3200 BC(16): Carthage will now sell Masonry for 4 gpt 20 gold and ceremonial burial. I take it. Trade Masonry to the Iroquois for bronze working and 2 gold. Trade Masonry to Rome for 40 gold (since we are now at 0 gpt and I spent my reserve. I now have tech parity with the 4 known civs. We will see how long that lasts...
3150 BC(17): Warrior movement
3100 BC(18): Warrior movement
3050 BC(19): Warrior movement
3000 BC(20): Entremont is now size 3. Alter lux rate to suppress unhappiness (now at -1 gpt) Start roading and mining the BG 2 squares NW of Entremont for the 3rd citizen
2950 BC(21): (take snap shot of the world and save the game. Meant to do this at 3000BC).
2900 BC(22): Warrior 1 stumbles across Chinese warrior. They have all my techs plus wheel.
2850 BC(23): Warriors continue to move. Dyes have been seen far to the W. No real chance to get to them any time soon.
2800 BC(24): Worker finishes the road and gets rid of the -1 gpt. It will come back next turn when...
2750 BC(25): I finish the Granary! I decide to start on a settler right away. 5 turns to settler and growth.
2710 BC(26): Warrior movement
2670 BC(27): Warrior movement
2630 BC(28): Warrior movement
2590 BC(29): Warrior movement
2550 BC(30): Settler built. Settler and warrior head SW to found second city.

Well it's good to see some life in here.

It's hard to make many comparisons off these first 30 turns. We still only have 1-2 cities and the AI has a huge lead due to their starting settler and units. There are a few discrepancies though.

First is whether to build a settler first or a granary. It will be interesting to see which is more beneficial in this food-poor start.

Second, some of you appear to be playing as if you didn't have knowledge of the map. Myself, since everyone who signed up played GOTM18 and had knowledge of the map AFAIK, I decided to exploit that knowledge the best I could. I studied the map beforehand and planned out where I would put my cities. I moved my settler NW to pull the fish even though I shouldn't have known they were even there.

And that's the third one, whether moving the settler NW was helpful or harmful.

Greebley seems to be the best off techwise atm. I met Greece and Iroquois on the same turn as him and they both had 8 techs already, while in Greebley's game they only had 6 and 5 respectively. This made some good tech trading opportunites for him, while there was nothing I could do. I'm sure I'll get my opportunity to catch up later on though.

In 2590 BC my financial status is 92 gold at +2 gold per turn. My 4gpt deal to the Iroquois is due to end in 5 turns. My granary in Entremont is due in 6, and it will grow to 3 in 7. Alesia grows in 2 and will produce a worker in 5.

You are right. I am only using my memory of the start, which makes my game more "blind" than yours. I am unsure how big a difference that will make. I did remember (or see when I moved my worker?) the fish, but did not move because of it.

I suspect Iroquois techs are going to be a variable element for these games (If I remember right, they are expansionist ones). One thing I noticed was that the Iroquois had 3 towns very early on (basically a turn or two after I met them) when everyone else had two. I wouldn't be suprised if they got a settler or town instead of the tech they got in your game, which could lead to a very strong Iroquois in my game.

It might be an interesting exersize to see how random hut exploration affects an AI. I will keep an eye on Iroquois advancement and city count for my next 30 turns and then we can compare how they do.

Off Topic:
One strategy I have not yet seen mentioned is early methods that tell you who are the strongest AI before you get territory maps:
The obvious one is city counts.
The less obvious one is looking at the "top cities" very early on. The ones that grow fast have good starting locations in terms of growth and are somewhat more likely to become powerful, than those that are not on the list (by watching the list I imagine, you can also know when they first produce a settler and get an idea of their shield potential as well). I don't know the factors for determining which ones appear on the list (culture?), but I was guessing that at the start, size is the only thing that varies, and the top 5 cities will then belong to the best "growers".
This information is not tremendously useful, but could help (for example) when you have enough cash to buy a single "communication" from a that an AI knows. I meant to try this for this game, but forgot. Ah well.

A quick note on what order the contacts are made. My mistake was not going to find carthage first. Rome had only 1 tech I didn't and my CB was not going to get his alphabet. Meeting Carthage first was a great idea I find myself in a huge hole with no tech trades even remotely possible.

I am interested to see if going for a granary first before the settler is the best option. Those that got pottery from a trade should be in the best position.

I too am playing from memory and didn't even think about moving to the fish - whoops

Hotrod

Originally posted by cracker
turn 30 - first timeline break (no save file required)
turn 60 - second timeline break - 1525bc save file required
turn 80 - 1000bc save file required to compare to the real Qsc
turn 90 - 775bc third timeline break - (no save file required)
turn 120 - fourth timeline break - 170bc save file required (fixed from 570)

Is turn 120 meant to be 170bc .
There is NOT 30 turns between 775bc and 570bc.

Oops, Lee you are correct that was a typo and is now fixed. -cracker

2230 BC- Entremont begins work on its granary.

1950 BC - Our first settler is ordered in Alesia.
We get contact #7 with the Aztecs. They are already ahead of me, so no tech trading is possible.
Some civs have writing, but none of them need any contact that I can offer.

1910 BC - I get screwed with the first AI demand for $21. With as far behind as I already am, I can't afford any cash loss. Deity on pangea is brutal for the tech pace.

1790 BC - We get contact #8 with Egypt. The pattern of nothing to trade continues.
However, Rome doesn't have contact so I give them contact Egypt, $39, and $2/turn for Mysticism. The sad part is not much of a discount, as it is fairly well known.
I sell contact to the Iroquois for $26

1750 BC - Entremont orders up a settler.

1675 BC - I achieve the contact #9 of Japan. The pattern continues of nothing to trade.
The question mark is where are the English this time around.
(I) Is this a repeat of my original game? Once again the Aztecs complete the Pyramids.

1650 BC - Lugdunum is formed.
We get to start trading maps, but this game they are all but worthless compared to the first.
We get total cash of $27 along with tm from Carthage, France and Rome.
This amount still lets my buy The Wheel from France for $58 and $2/turn.

1600 BC - Even with prior map knowledge, Rome beats me to the horse spot.
We begin the painful process of selling wm for $1 wherever I can to scrape to another tech.

1525 BC - Camulodunum is formed claiming one of the cow spots.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/LKENDTER-QSC18R3-1525BC.zip

Tell me if I'm including too much information, this is long.

32: 2510 BC - Alesia grows to 2. Lux to 30%.

33: 2470 BC - I spot English warrior.(#8) They only have Bronze Working on me.

35: 2390 BC - Alesia worker->granary. Lux to 10%.

36: 2350 BC - Entremont granary->settler. Our gpt deal to the Iroquois has ended. I buy Mysticism from France for 5gpt and 22g. I trade Mysticism and 33g to Aztecs for The Wheel. Trade contact with Japanese to Greece for contact with Chinese.(#9) Trade Alphabet, Ceremonial Burial, and Pottery to China for Bronze Working and Masonry. Trade Mysticism and The Wheel to Rome for Iron Working and 10g. Only down Writing to Greece now.

37: 2310 BC - Entremont grows to 3. Lux to 30%.

38: 2270 BC - Aztecs learn Horseback Riding and Writing, Greece learns Horseback Riding, Carthage learns Writing. Aztecs and Greece both have contact with Egypt now. I have a monopoly on English contact atm. Carthage already settled a city in my core ring SW of Entremont. They have 6 cities already.

41: 2150 BC - Entremont grows to 4. Citizens moved to lake for extra commerce (settler in 1).

42: 2110 BC - Entremont settler->warrior. Lux to 20%. Settler sent east to grab horses before Rome hopefully. France and Japan have Writing and Horseback Riding now too. Iroquois only have Horseback Riding. Trade contact with English and 24 gold to France for Writing. Trade Writing to Iroquois for Horseback Riding and their 4 gold. Trade contact with English to Aztecs for contact with Egyptians(#10) and 58 gold. Trade contact with English to Greece for their 52 gold. I now have 161 gold and tech parity with the leaders.

44: 2030 BC - Entremont citizen moved from fish to BG (growth in 1, warrior in 1).

45: 1990 BC - Entremont warrior->settler. Warrior fortified. Rome claimed horses already of course.

46: 1950 BC - Alesia grows to 3. Lux to 50%. Warrior from Entremont sent to Alesia.

47: 1910 BC - Lugdunum founded east of Entremont. Not an ideal location but I didn't want to waste more time moving the settler around. Set to build warrior in 5, growth in 10. Entremont citizen moved from fish to bg again, growth in 2.

48: 1870 BC - Warrior arrives in Alesia. Lux down to 30%.

49: 1830 BC - Entremont grows to 4. Lux to 40%. Aztecs and France learn Mathematics and Philosophy.

50: 1790 BC - Entremont settler->warrior. Lux to 20%. Settler sent to NW. Shanghai completes the Colossus.

52: 1725 BC - Lugdunum warrior->worker. Warrior sent to Entremont. Entremont citizen moved from fish to bg. France learns Code of Laws. Japan learns Mathematics. Argh Carthage settled the gems to the north already! Carthage has surrounded Entremont already and we don't have our fourth city yet. This game will become warlike very quickly. Entremont switched to barracks instead of warrior. I trade Horseback Riding to England for their 35 gold. Trade contact with Chinese to Rome for 23 gold. Carthage demands contact with English and I give in.

53: 1700 BC - Camulodonum founded NW of Entremont on lake. Set to worker. Rome founds a city in my 1st ring which will also apply cultural pressure to 2 of my cities. Rome must die first. I have to get that iron source to the north. Alesia grows to 4. Lux to 40%.

54: 1675 BC - Entremont barracks->settler. Alesia's granary whipped for 1 pop / 20 shields. Rome has Philosophy now. Greece, Iroquois, Egypt, Aztecs and Carthage have Mathematics, Philosophy, and Map Making. Japan has Mathematics and Philosophy. France has all 3 plus Code of Laws. China has Philosophy. Damn they all trade for like 3 techs each between turns. I can't afford Map Making or Code of Laws, but my gpt deal to France ends in 2 turns. Aztecs build the Pyramids.

55: 1650 BC - Alesia granary->settler. Realize my world map is only worth 8 gold so I might as well sell it now and increase my gpt. I sell it around to all civ's that have Map Making for 22 gold total.

56: 1625 BC - Lugdunum worker->barracks. Exploring warrior arrives back in Alesia. Lux down to 20%. I can buy Map Making now and probably trade for every tech except Code of Laws. But I'd rather wait until I can buy Code of Laws so I can start researching towards Republic.

58: 1575 BC - Entremont grows to 4. Lux to 30%. Rome demands 32 gold. As much as I'd love to decline and sign some MA's against him I don't have any defense to hold him off.

59: 1550 BC - Entremont settler->spearman. Lux down to 20%. Send settler to the northern iron source I hope. France has Polytheism now. Aztecs, Greece, Egypt, and Carthage have Code of Laws. Iroquois have Polytheism and Code of Laws. I buy Code of Laws from France for 9gpt and 94 gold. I wish one of the Map Making civ's didn't have Code of Laws but oh well. Code of Laws to Japan for Mathematics and 13 gold. Mathematics to England for Philosophy and 3 gold. Research set to Republic at 10%. I have 176 gold and -3gpt now.

60: 1525 BC - As my settler moves northward I realize the Carthage city doesn't actually contain the gems yet, but it will upon cultural expansion. I'm not sure if I should risk a cultural battle on deity to claim them. Since it's so close to my capital and pretty far from Carthage I decide to risk it. I will have to keep that city garrisoned well at all times, at least until I can afford a war with Carthage. Alesia grows to 4. Lux to 40%.

Well I'm doing alright on the tech front, but the AI's are settling cities even faster than normal because of the workers. The AI has already settled a few cities in my 1st ring. Rome is the only civ I have a chance of having a successful war against, but I have no military to speak of yet.

Here's my save file, Shillen-QSC18r3-1525_BC.zip.

edit: Added contact #'s.

2590 BC (30): nada

2550 BC (31): continue moving warriors

2510 BC (32): more of the same

2470 BC (33): Iroquios start pyramids more warrior movement. My first settler will finally complete next turn.

2430 BC (34): Build settler starts warrior. Warrior/settler pair head to the hill with a fish via the road.

2390 BC (35): Rome starts pyramids. Settler/warrior in position.

2350 BC (36): Build warrior starts settler. Found Alesia on the hill starts worker.

2310 BC (37): Aztecs start oracle.

2270 BC (38): more exploring.

2230 BC (39): Contact with Japan they are ahead the same techs as the rest and already have 6 cities. MM capital to go 5/5.

2190 BC (40): Learn bronze, start on Iron working and meet the Egyptians.

2150 BC (41): Greece has a rather agressive settlement to my south - must have been a settler from a hut :(. MM Alesia to go 3/3.

2110 BC (42): More warrior movement set the French but no contact yet.

2070 BC (43): Builds settler start spear. Contact with France, move settler into city position with a tighter than normal build for me.

2030 bC (44): Alesia builds worker starts granary. Found Lugdunum and start a temple for culture pressure on the greek city.

1990 bC (45): Well I am behind just about all the ancient techs now and Alphabet,Masonry, IW, Wheel, Mysticism, Writing etc.

1950 BC (46): The Iroquios are in my boarders and look ready to attack if they do the game is over for me.

1910 BC (47): Builds spear start a settler in Entremont, Just in time for the iroquios I fear.

1870 BC (48): Rome demands 21 gold who am I to say no. The iroquios are just passing through.

1830 BC (49): More exploring.

1790 BC (50): zzzz

1750 BC (51): zzzz

1725 BC (52): Greeks demand Tm and 17 gold , I pay.

1700 BC (53): zzzz

1675 BC (54): Finish settler start spear, settler/spear heading north.

1650 bC (55): Settler arrives at the next city site.

1625 BC (56): Found Camulodunum and start a temple.

1600 BC (57): Oracle is completd by England, France starts Great Library. Hopelessly lagging in tech. Lugdunum builds temple starts barracks.

1575 bC (58): Rome and Iroquios are at war. Entremont builds spear starts settler.

1550 BC (59): MM Entremont to go 5/5, the rest of the AI start GL.

1525 BC (60): France completed the Pyramids. I am hopelessly behind in tech and can't buy my way out. Deity is turning out to be a whole lot tougher than Monarch.

Here is the save:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/redux18_hotrod0823_1525bc_deity.zip

I have to say that reading Sirp's Deity training succession game really helped me in terms of keeping up in tech. I am closer to the AI's in this Deity game than I was in the original monarch game. It sounds like I also had some luck early on when meeting the others as well. Deity Training Link
---------------------
Edit: My first 30 turns Or just scroll up :)

2550 BC(31): Settler Built. Setter and warrior head SW to found next city.
I have all the first level techs except for the wheel (BW, Masonry, Alphabet, Pottery, WC, CB)
AI status:
Iroquois have 5 cities + capitol. They also have the wheel.
Greece has 2 cities + capitol. I am equal in tech.
Carthage has 4 cities + capitol. They have the wheel.
Rome has 4 cities + a capitol. I am equal in tech.
China has 2 cites + capitol. They have the wheel.
2510 BC(32): Settler and warrior head W.
2470 BC(33): Settler and warrior head W. Iroquois near my capitol makes me nervous so I switch to a warrior build for next turn.
2430 BC(34): Alesia founded between the two lakes and starts on spearman. Warrior built and another one started. I lower luxury to 0 so I am at a balanced economy with 25 gold.
2390 BC(35): Build a second warrior to guard Entremont and start on a settler. Entremont is up to size 3.
2350 BC(36):
2310 BC(37): Gold increases to 6 gpt. My gpt to Carthage expired. France is now on my diplomacy screen.
France has 4 cities, writing, and the wheel (most other civs have 1 more city than before).
2270 BC(38):Zzzz
2230 BC(39):Zzzz
2190 BC(40):Zzzz
2150 BC(41):Settler built and heads S toward the fish with a warrior as guard. It will settle one square N of the firsh. Entremont grew at the same time and so is size 2.
2110 BC(42): Worker finishes mine and road between Alesia and Entremont and moves on toward Alesia.
2070 BC(43):Zzzz
2030 BC(44):Alesia builds a spearman which is sent to Entremont. Alesia is building a worker.
1990 BC(45):Lugdunum built. It has the higher growth due to the lake fish. I had gotten so used to coastal fish, I had forgotten (or rather did not think it through) that lake fish are worth 3 food instead of 2. Lugdunum is building a worker.
1950 BC(46): Spearman arrives in Entremont just as it grows to size 3. Road to Alesia complete (starting a mine).
1910 BC(47): Settler built and head 3 squares NW to be next to the fish. This may be a mistake as it has overlap with a Carthage city nearby. Entremont is working on a spearman (and is size 1).
1870 BC(48): Camulodunum is built. It is using the fish and starts on a warrior. Alesia builds a worker which head toward the capitol. Alesia starts on a barracks. Change my mind and set Lugdunum to a granary and Cam to a worker.
1830 BC(49): Japan contacts me. Wants to sell me contact with egypt, but the price is way too high.
1790 BC(50):Zzzz
1750 BC(51):Zzzz
1725 BC(52): Colossus is finished by China. I finally get writing. I look into the Diplomatic scene. Only 2 civs have mathematics, but I cannot afford to buy it. at any price. All the rest are above me by IW, wheel, and myst.
1700 BC(53): Entremont builds a spearman and starts on another settler. Science is at 0. I want to try to get mathematics.
1675 BC(54): London finishes the oracle. Aztecs will sell me mathematics for all I have - buy mathematics for 11 gpt and 148 gold. I then back trade mathematics for:
Myst + wheel + 20 gold from egypt.
IW + 30 from Greece
HBR + 15 from Rome
90 from china
Territory Map + 40 from france - I think long and hard about this one. France has map making and I wonder if I can get it. Decide the answer is a strong NO so I get what I can.
Iroquois and Carthage don't have much gold (2 and 4) so I they are the only ones.
Aztecs and Japan already had mathematics so no trades there.
Net Result:
11 gpt in exchange for Mysticism, Wheel, HBR, Iron Working, 47 gold and frances territory map.
--------------
Raise science to 10% and start on currency ( Putting me at -1 gpt). Spearman in Entremont heads NE to view next town site.
1650 BC(55): Aztecs complete the pyramids
1625 BC(56): Alisea finished barracks and starts on a spearman. Cam builds a worker. Raise Lux to 10% Change Cam to a temple (at least for now).
1600 BC(57): China demand 27 gold and Territory map. We give it to them.
1575 BC(58): Settler built in Entremont. It is sent to the square south of the nearby cow.
1550 BC(59): Lugdunum grows to size 3, and science is down to -- due to creation of settler. Have to raise lux and science to 20% which puts our money at -6 gpt. Ugh! That was not well planned. I send the spearman in Entremont to Lugdunum. I also have to move a Lugdunum citizen from the BG to the lake. Double Ugh! Alesia's veteran spearman will be sent to Entremont when it is made in 2 turns.
1525 BC(60): Find my first hut which is empty (a tech while unlikely would have been a major coup). I trade 130 gold and world map for philosophy to france. I have 4 towns(sizes 3, 2, 1, 1), with a settler ready to settle on my next turn, 3 workers, and all the techs up of tier 1 and 2 (including HBR), and philosophy.
The rest of the world has:
China and Greece have 8 cities + capitol
Aztecs and Japan have 9 cities + capitol
Egypt, Rome, France, Iroquois all have 10 cities + capitol
Carthage has 11 cities + capitol

As for techs, I am ahead of Carthage with my purchase of philosophy.
Egypt, Rome, and the Aztecs all have code of laws.
Greece, Japan, France, Iroquois, and China all have code of laws and map making.

Iroquois is no longer "ahead", so it did not capitolize on its early luck (I am pretty sure it got a settler from a hut) very well, though it is "tied" with france for first if you sum city count + techs.

England has not yet been met by anyone.

Here is the save file for 1525

I finished the first 30 turns on Wednesday, but had problems with the Forum so, here they are:

4000 BC - Gotm18 Deity Redux; Settler NW 2 turns, so Fish is within original boundary. worker to develop BG N

3900 BC - Entremont founded; 10% Sci to Mysticism; Warrior in 10

3550 BC - Entremont size 2; Lux 10%

3500 BC - Warr1, start Warr2; Worker fin Rd/Min, goto BG N of Entremont for Rd/Min

3400 BC - Culture Expands

3350 BC - Warr1 sees 4 roman Warriors with 2 Roman Archers; Ceaser is annoyed; has 2 cities, 10 Gold and Alphabet; no Trade; MM to Lake for extra commerce

3300 BC - Warr2 build, next Warr3. MM to BG

3250 BC - Rome moves north; next up 8 Iroqouis Warriors; Hiawatha is Cautious, has BrW, Mas and Pott, 10 gold, 2 cities; we have 63 Gold, Warr Code; Trade WarrCode, 33 Gold, 1 GPT for Pottery; Hiawatha is Polite; can't get Ceasar to deal

3200 BC - Entremont is size 3; MM to Lake

3150 BC - Warr3, start on Granary; Warr1 to Scout West, Warr2 to scout West South; Warr3 for MP; Com% 80, 10, 10

2900 BC - Meet Carthage; Hannibal is Cautious, has BrW, Mas and Alpha; BrW is possible, but costly. no trade; Move MP out to protect Worker from Iroq Warr; Lux to 30%

2850 BC - Entremont size 4; MM to Lake for extra commerce; Worker still working 3rd BG for Rd then Mine

2800 BC - MP back in Entremont; MM to 3rd BG (w Rd, now Mine); Grow in 6, finish Granary in 5

2710 BC - Iroqouis and Carthage have the Wheel

2590 BC - Meet Greece to SSW; They have BrW, Mas, Alpha and Wheel; 4 cities. No trade. Send MP out to protect Worker from Iroq. Finish Granary, start Settler

2550 BC - Iroq moves within boundary! We insist that they withdraw, and they say they will. Entremont is size 5, add to Lux

At this point there is a 2hp Iroqouis warrior directly adjacent to a completely undefended Entremont!! Next post could be reeeeealy short.

But the Celts survive, maybe due to the 5 turns remaining on our deal. BTW, I'm very jealous of Greebley's trade at 3450 BC; Rome must have already met the Iroqouis in my game, so the same trade at 3250 BC was not available.

Here are turns 31 - 60:

2510 BC - Iroq moves on; we re-MP the capital, reduce Lux (60,10,30)

2470 BC - In Mountains to West of Carthage, meet Aztecs and French. Monte has Mysticism and the other 4 techs; 5 cities, 25 Gold; Joan has 48 Gold, the 4 Techs, 5 cities. No trades, both are Polite

2430 BC - Hiawatha has moved 3 warriors into our Territory; We buy BrW for 2 gpt and 57 gold, he turns Polite from Cautious; Settler finished, start on Warrior; Settler goes to South end of Lake, Worker builds roads to connect

2390 BC - Gut Check time; 3 Iroq Warriors adjacent to Entremont (1 mp Warr); 3 more move into Territory; Entremont size 4

2350 BC - Iroq move on through (Whew!!); Warr4 built, start another, adj Lux

2310 BC - Warr1 meets Japanese (far West near French- Aztec border); Tokugawas is Annoyed, has Mas, Alph, Wheel, IrW and Myst, 5 cities 20 gold; we are sooo far behind. Alesia founded (2 spaces diag S of Entre), beg Warr

2270 BC - Entre fin Warr, beg Barr (3 turns)

2230 BC - Meet Egypt (far West); 5 Techs, 0 gold, 6 cities; Entremont size 5, adj Lux (all the time, now 70,10,20); Greeks and Romans building Pyrimids

2150 BC - Entre fin Barr, beg Settler

2110 BC - Alesia fin Warr, beg Work

2070 BC - Learn Mysticism, no one to trade it to, Entre size 6

1990 BC - Entre fin Setlr, beg Warr; Lux to 10; Stlr S to other Fish

1910 BC - Alesia fin Work, beg Barr; Work2 and Work1 mining BG near Alesia, Entre size 5, fin Warr, beg Warr

1870 BC - Aztecs (at Tenochtitlan) complete the Oracle

1830 BC - Entre fin Warr, beg Stlr

1790 BC - Lugdunum founded on S Fish, beg Gran

1750 BC - Entremont size 6, Lux to 30

1700 BC - Trade Rome Comm with Japan, Egypt, 2 gpt, 16 Gold, for Alphabet; Entremont fin Setlr, beg Warr, Lux to 10; trade Comm w Greeks, 33 Gold, 2 gpt to Egypt for Masonry; Entremont fin Stlr, beg Warr; Send Stlr/Warr to Gem hills

1675 BC - Carthage founds Rusicade next to Gems (beating me there by 1 turn!!); Settler/Vet Warr to found in River area next to Cows

1650 BC - Entremont fin Warr, beg Spear; Last turn 3 civs had Math and wouldn't trade; this turn we meet English, and everyone has Math ( and IrW, Writing, the Wheel and ... MapMaking by inference)

1600 BC - Alesia is size2, fin Barr beg Archer; Lug is size 2

1575 BC - Camulodunum founded on River, beg Warr; Entremont fin Spear beg Stlr

1550 BC - French (at Paris) complete the Pyramids

1525 BC - Entremont size 6, Com% at 60, 10, 30

save file:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/cvst_G18D_bc1525.sav

My apologies. It looks like I will not be able to get my sixty turns in today. I'm still trying for my domination victory and its taking forever. I'll read along and pray for a day that I can participate.

Originally posted by civ_steve
2550 BC - Iroq moves within boundary! We insist that they withdraw, and they say they will. Entremont is size 5, add to Lux

:eek: Wow you have some guts! I'm even more surprised that they backed down instead of declaring war. I'd never kick an AI out of my territory that early on deity. I like what Sirp calls it, the deity right of passage.

Top Bottom