Official System Requirements

What is a great portable for Civ 5? I was looking at Lenovo y510p with dual graphics vs. Fangbook Evo HX7-200 Gaming Notebook- there is a $450 price difference, but then I returned my Lenovo y510p with one graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (SLI) GDDR5 2GB and 8 G RAM) because it was just too slow later in the game and it would also over heat.

Any bright suggestions?

If you returned one Lenovo for over heating, why would you buy another one, with even more chips that would get even hotter?

I have a dell XPS 12 inch flip screen, with an I7 and HD 4000 graphics, and it does well for me. Every computer will have slower late game, huge map slow downs, and I am not sure are we talking seconds or minutes wait time?

I have a dell XPS 17 inch with an I7 and nvidea 555m, and it is not that bad late game, on huge maps. It gets hot and the fan goes at top speed, and I have a large fan that also circulates the hot air away from the laptop.

i have read the system requirements and they are big...bigger than what i have. i think. but i have civ iv complete on dvd and it works better than great.
i have dell inspiron 15 3521 laptop. its got 1.5ghz intel celeron 887 dual core. its got 4gb ram. its got intel hd graphics integrated. win 8.1
great i went to a site game debate and put my details in and it said civ iv will work so i bought it and it runs on high settings and no slowdown at all unless i stupidly have the option to show enemy units moving with 17 civs on the map. so i thot i would check civ 5 reqs,read up here and went to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
(after having installed the patch 319 and got beyond the sword working), and checked civ v in the list). it said no chance, civ 5 wont work. just for a laugh i put civ iv in and beyond the sword....and no chance they wont run. what?
they work perfectly! now i made an error on the game debate site. i put in intel hd graphics 4000 cos thats what dells pdf said i had. but turns out celeron 887 doesnt have the 4000 bit. rechecking that site says civ iv beyond the sword shouldnt work now.
so my question is, how come it works so well? was civ iv complete redone? if it works so good, maybe civ v will also run; should i try it? thanks in advance for help
btw heat isnt a problem playing civ iv. the fan just goes up a notch but not as high as it does for other stuff.

You can always get the free demo (there is one for vanilla, one for G&K, and one for BNW) on steam. You can try out each one to see how they work on your machine.

i looked at the 100 demos on steam none are for any civ game. i will just have to buy civ 5 and see. its not all that much money. i dont buy anything online, so it will be on disc; losing £6000 from my bank account in the 90s cured me of any (misplaced) trust in online transactions. i also prefer to have something i can touch if the hdd on this thing dies, i can just put the disc in the next one. and buying civ v also supports the team who make the games we love! so even if i cant play it now, it gives something back towards civ 6 (im sure its being worked on somewhere) and some requirements for my next laptop purchase. thx for the help!

The demo is on the "home" page for each version of the game. It is on the right side and it says, download free demo.

Even if you buy a copy of the game, you still have to have a steam account and still download the game from steam, at least the updates, unless you can turn off auto updates while accessing the game in steam. You have to put the code from the game into steam in order to play it. Steam holds the content for you and as long as you log off of steam, you can play the game on any computer without loosing it. You just have to wait for the latest content to download from steam.

so i cant play it without steam ? or just cant get patches? if steam needs me to put in a credit card number its not happening, and if i need steam just to play the game i bought from a shop, that means one of 2 things; either steam should be free, or the game in the shop should be free - and i wont be buying it if i have to pay steam or provide any financial details whatsoever. i have lost money before and seen too many hacker steals details stories in the news to trust my account details on the internet! never again. :confused:

oh and that ignores all the horror stories i have heard about steam not working anyway...if i buy civ v complete edition i shouldn't need steam to play it. not everyone has a permanent no limits internet connect!

Steam is free. You do have to have steam to enable the game. You can go into offline mode once the game is enabled. You will need to uncheck auto updates, and you will have to keep going into steam in offline mode. If you do not do it properly steam will freeze up, until you have an internet connection.

ok thanks. sorry for being such a noob. installed steam just now, and was getting really frustrated cos there was a 4th box i couldnt click, and didnt know why i couldnt continue...turned out i had space in account name and spaces arent allowed lol. is there a guide in the box of the retail version do you know on how to do the steam stuff offline mode? or is it in an faq here?

The next thread down from this one deals with steam. The game will show up in a list in steam and right clicking on the game will bring up a list of options. Clicking on properties will also bring up a dialogue box with tabs that will allow you to set how the game works.

When steam launches it will let you sign in and you can either go into the steam "library" either via online of offline mode. Until the game is running properly, you will want to go online. After you have setup in steam the way you want to "run" the game, then you can exit steam in offline mode and just keep signing in in offline mode, if you do not always have access to the internet.

i assume when civ v installs it selects the optimum graphics settings for your hardware? or do i have to trial and error to find if i can go higher with settings?

I think that it does load the settings based on the ability of the hardware. You can always change it if you do not like a particular aspect. You will probably want to just change one thing at a time. That way you can narrow down the trial and error. Do three things at once, will still force you to back down one at a time, if something goes wrong.

Hi guys.

I recently bought a new PC. It's a desktop, whereas I used to have Civ V on a laptop and worked just fine.

I tried to install the game but after I launch, and pick one of the DirectX options, I get a black screen for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

I'm not very tech savvy. but I've tried reinstalling and most of the solutions I found online regarding my problem.

I believe it could be related to my new PC not having the minimum requirements, but I'm not sure. If someone could tell me whether it does or not, I would appreciate it:

I'm running Windows 7, 64 nits, DirectX11.

Processor: 1150 Intel Quad Core i7-4790 3,60 Ghz 8 Mb H
Memory: 8GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: PCI-Express 3.0 16x Asus GTX650-E-1GD5 1071/5000 V/D/H

I don't know if the video card is good or bad :(

Please help!

Hi all,

for first sorry for my english.

I would like to buy Civ5 and Its expansion and I need to know if I can play smoothly with this laptop:

Asus X550CC
- Intel i5 3337U
- 8 GB Ram DD3 1600Mhz
- GeForce 720M
- SSD 256GB
- Win 8.1

I would like to know if I can play well at 1366x768 at mid settings.

Thanks in advance.

It should run the game, unless there is someone with that particular laptop that will reply, it would be hard to say how smoothly though.

Top Bottom