The Kuriotates

Thunderwing said:
Ok, I must have missed that decision. Sorry. Incidentally, what can Eurabatres do besides just having an insane iCombat and Fear? Any special abilities or spellcasting? I've never actually seen any of the dragons do anything except for acheron getting leveled by Valin one time.

An idea just occured to me. With thier whole unity shtick and the dragon thing, wouldnt it be awesome if they had some sort of dragonrider instead of elephants for thier exotic cavalry unit?

As Loki said once, "why would a mighty dragon let a puny human ride them?"

The dragons can all breath fire and roar. Breathing fire creates a meteor like fromt he meteor swarm spell, roar converts all units within a tile to their empire if they have the cult of the dragon promotion.

Dragons also have a pretty nasty first strike, the breath weapon you see them hit attacking units with isnt just for looks.

Um, i'm talking about a fairly weak dragon or drake, like one about half of Acheron's power, maybe a like a wyvern. And anyway, then why is Ashabi working for the Sheaim or Eurabrates working for the Kurioates instead of carving out thier own empires.

A tier 3 or 4 that is strong enough to get through the Fear has a decent chance vs the the playable ones and 90+ vs Acheron. A Tier 4 UU-quality knight could probably subdue a dragon weaker than acheron pretty safely. The explanation for the Kurioates could be Eurabrates getting some younger relatives to help his allies in exchange for serious money. Where do you think the mony and rescources would go, it would go to paying off the dragons.

Just like the spider's web isn't just for looks.

Perhaps Dragons could also get a bonus defending their cities? Just a small thing, but i mean isn't the whole idea of worshipping the dragon knowing that he'll interveen to save you, while other gods will just let you die?

Kael said:
As Loki said once, "why would a mighty dragon let a puny human ride them?"

The dragons can all breath fire and roar. Breathing fire creates a meteor like fromt he meteor swarm spell, roar converts all units within a tile to their empire if they have the cult of the dragon promotion.

Dragons also have a pretty nasty first strike, the breath weapon you see them hit attacking units with isnt just for looks.

Well, if you take a (mountable) creature and tame it while it's yound, you'll probably be able to train it to be mounted. You could make lesser dragon units, which grow mature after like 20~40 turns (with like 5 stages of growth), and allow certain unit classes to mount them at the first to second stage.
At different stages you could train them to summon fireballs and such...

Deathling said:
Well, if you take a (mountable) creature and tame it while it's yound, you'll probably be able to train it to be mounted. You could make lesser dragon units, which grow mature after like 20~40 turns (with like 5 stages of growth), and allow certain unit classes to mount them at the first to second stage.
At different stages you could train them to summon fireballs and such...

Thats assuming that dragons are a commodity, cattle or another race in the world. The dragons of FfH were created by the gods in the Age of Dragons to wage their wars. They are are nearly as powerful as the avatars themselves and have existed through 3 ages of men.

I tend to believe that a lot of a dragons impact is ruined by making it common. I don't want to have dragon armies, each dragon should be an individual and a force to be reckoned with. I like the ideas of having mounted special beasts, but I probably wont use dragons for it.

Kael said:
Thats assuming that dragons are a commodity, cattle or another race in the world. The dragons of FfH were created by the gods in the Age of Dragons to wage their wars. They are are nearly as powerful as the avatars themselves and have existed through 3 ages of men.

I tend to believe that a lot of a dragons impact is ruined by making it common. I don't want to have dragon armies, each dragon should be an individual and a force to be reckoned with. I like the ideas of having mounted special beasts, but I probably wont use dragons for it.

So are you saying those dragons don't reproduce? :confused:

Anyway, I was thinking more of a national unit (1 max) for the cult...

The dragons in FfH are way smarter than the people, I suspect. And few. And that's what makes them extra cool.

i love the idea of the third ring, but how can they support a population of 36? that's the number of workable tiles

i've noticed that 2 of the religions are uber useful for non-religious reasons, runes for money, 3 per temple, and leaves, for getting happiness due to forests

with the happiness bonus from the leaves civic, you can use a leaves priest to bloom forests on anything, including an already built mine on a hill, on a town, on anything except flood plains, and you get a happiness for each one

it just seems inevitable that the kuriotates NEED leaves as a state religion now, to support that large a pop

am i missing something?

Not really related to the Kuriotates themselves, but is there any hope that more of the threads in the private FFH Team forum might get "declassified"? I'm asking since I found it fascinating to read through this thread and watch the final trait take shape, and would be curious to see the treatment you guys gave other aspects, too. (Not to mention that it could help in getting into the correct mindset for coming up with ideas that are actually good enough for the mod. ;))

They sound more interesting now, before this (and the dragon) they were just "the civ with the kid." My immediate thoughts--
If the Ai doesn't defend settlements well, you could give them a UU, tier 2 or 3 ish, that has about 4 strenth, no movement, and 2-5 hammer cost. Maybe they'd need triple maintence cost so that you can't build 30 the minute war is declared.
Thinking of the GoT slave army, perhaps these guys or the Elohim could get a UU by capturing slaves from slave-making civs, maybe a reverse fanatic process, a redeemed unit.
Umm... more thoughts on Saturday, I'm sure!

Xuenay said:
Not really related to the Kuriotates themselves, but is there any hope that more of the threads in the private FFH Team forum might get "declassified"? I'm asking since I found it fascinating to read through this thread and watch the final trait take shape, and would be curious to see the treatment you guys gave other aspects, too. (Not to mention that it could help in getting into the correct mindset for coming up with ideas that are actually good enough for the mod. ;))

Definitly, I only want to use the private forum to incubate and get the design work done, then push all of the information to you guys so the playtest feedback is as good as possible.

Mr Loki is supposed to push the Luchuirp thread public but he hasn't done it yet. ;)

Nikis-Knight said:
They sound more interesting now, before this (and the dragon) they were just "the civ with the kid." My immediate thoughts--
If the Ai doesn't defend settlements well, you could give them a UU, tier 2 or 3 ish, that has about 4 strenth, no movement, and 2-5 hammer cost. Maybe they'd need triple maintence cost so that you can't build 30 the minute war is declared.
Thinking of the GoT slave army, perhaps these guys or the Elohim could get a UU by capturing slaves from slave-making civs, maybe a reverse fanatic process, a redeemed unit.

Thats a really interesting idea, a way to emancipate slaves. I will have to think about it.

khanjackal said:
i love the idea of the third ring, but how can they support a population of 36? that's the number of workable tiles

i've noticed that 2 of the religions are uber useful for non-religious reasons, runes for money, 3 per temple, and leaves, for getting happiness due to forests

with the happiness bonus from the leaves civic, you can use a leaves priest to bloom forests on anything, including an already built mine on a hill, on a town, on anything except flood plains, and you get a happiness for each one

it just seems inevitable that the kuriotates NEED leaves as a state religion now, to support that large a pop

am i missing something?

You have a VERY good point with this. In my recent games with them the only thign limiting my growth is happiness. We were considering giving a happiness bonus, but lost the idea at some point. I guess the idea is that they will get enough luxury resources from their settlements to have large cities.

Kael said:
Definitly, I only want to use the private forum to incubate and get the design work done, then push all of the information to you guys so the playtest feedback is as good as possible.

Mr Loki is supposed to push the Luchuirp thread public but he hasn't done it yet. ;)

HEY!!!

I did this a while ago, its lower down this forum. I'll go post in it to draw your attention.

loki1232 said:
HEY!!!

I did this a while ago, its lower down this forum. I'll go post in it to draw your attention.

Doh! He's right, my bad. :blush:

Psychic_Llamas said:
Make Centaurs the elite military units (teir 3 and up)

Make the satires the recon units

Give them Dryads too (not Warhammer dryads, Lion the witch and the wardrobe Dryads) which can be spys, etc, and maybe uber workers in forests?

1. The idea was that their entire archery line would be centaurs.
2. The problem with having so many different races (i suggested it too and Kael shot me down) is that "The artwork is wasted in any game without the Kuriotates.

Nikis-Knight said:
My immediate thoughts--
I dunno. I like the way the settlements are now, and there is always the danger that the ai will simply mass-produce these guys and kill themselves with maintenance. The thing about settlement is that they only need a few units to defend it. It doesn't really matter if your settlement is captured or destroyed, you have like 3 buildings in it at most.

I don't think that this is such a good mechanic for these guys. They are already really fun to play with. And its such a focused mechanic, which i dislike. What if instead this was an option available to all non-OO civs. I have that tech quote to support me on this. Everyone dislikes slavery. So perhaps any civ that captures an OO slave, or wins a battle against an OO slave unit (lunatic) gets a slave which can be put into a city of theirs for +1 happy (6 turns) and +1/2 pop. Or maybe only an option for good civs? I can't really see the calabim doing this.

Also, what happens when an OO civ captures an enemy worker? Is it turned into a slave or is it kept?

loki1232 said:
I dunno. I like the way the settlements are now, and there is always the danger that the ai will simply mass-produce these guys and kill themselves with maintenance. The thing about settlement is that they only need a few units to defend it. It doesn't really matter if your settlement is captured or destroyed, you have like 3 buildings in it at most.

I don't think that this is such a good mechanic for these guys. They are already really fun to play with. And its such a focused mechanic, which i dislike. What if instead this was an option available to all non-OO civs. I have that tech quote to support me on this. Everyone dislikes slavery. So perhaps any civ that captures an OO slave, or wins a battle against an OO slave unit (lunatic) gets a slave which can be put into a city of theirs for +1 happy (6 turns) and +1/2 pop. Or maybe only an option for good civs? I can't really see the calabim doing this.

Also, what happens when an OO civ captures an enemy worker? Is it turned into a slave or is it kept?

Everyone who captures a slave gets a worker. So they are better for the capturing civ then they are for the enslaving civ.

Top Bottom