The Great Hall

Turn 179, 1190ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Got us good this turn, Gardens looks to lose pop though we can switch civics to keep it at pop 5 when we get there. But, ouch

Mav
Spoiler :

Turn 183, 1230ad

Mav
Spoiler :

And would you look at that. 6 galleons out of the blue. I don't like those hills so I evacuate. Maybe they raze it, maybe they get back on their ships. But If we have one go in us with all those cats I'll save it till a better day. I want flatland.

Turn 184, 1240ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Well they put us back in despotism again so we lose our HR bonus. I believe the two cities no shown are hurting pretty bad. I'll admit, this is my first experience getting pummeled this bad with espionage. I assumed they would have to wait 5 turns to change me like I do but no, they can put me right back. I guess 5 more turns of pop loss,

Mav
Spoiler :

So this is the beginning of the turn. I sorta expected this; I saw in civstats that they took our city and didfn't raze it. I figured there would be a decent chance that I'd want to attack. And if I did, I also knew that I'd be sorta making a choice for Sirius, if us/carthage fight it out it'd be opening the door to sirius, much like what happened on the mainland. But the prospect of carthage/sirius teaming up and joining all on one tile (the sirius boats are in the water - it looks very much like they're ready to make some sort of move) would be too much to bear. So presented with this, I went for it. I knew it would use up a ton of cats (I should have built more, maybe) but there just wasn't the numbers ther to absorb all the cats I could use. Over on the merlot side I've been talking about a 60 units stack needed to absorb our medival army (and yes it's bigger over there) but here is only a paltry 18. So in with the cats, all barrage II. 12 out of 15 used. It started at

5 v 20.30, 0.0% odds (5 times before damage taken to lead defender) ending at
5 v 14, 4.5% odds.

All twelve cats lost of course and then is was:

and later:

All in all it went

mace v rifle, 8 v5.97, 80.9%, win
mace v rifle, 8 v 6.90, 71.4%, lose
mace v cannon, 6.85, 71.5%, win
musket v cannon, 9.9 v 12, 26.8%, lose & no damage taken :sad:
musket v cannon, 9.9 v 12, 26.8%, lose
mace v rifle, 8.8 v 12.58, 19.3%, lose
mace v rifle, 8.0 v 8.12, 63.0%, win (GG)
mace v rifle, 8.8 v 11.92, 21.5%, lose
mace v rifle, 8.8 v 11.59, 22.7%, lose
mace v rifle, 9.6 v 11.24, 40.5%, lose
mace v rifle, 9.6 v 11.24, 40.5%, lose
xbow v rifle, 6.6 v 11.24, 9.2%, lose

(and here's where the GG muskets come in)

musket v rifle, 10.8 v 10.62, 64.8%, win
musket v rifle, 10.8 v 10.62, 64.8%, win
musket v rifle, 10.8 v 10.62, 64.8%, win (GG)
musket v rifle, 9.9 v 8.39, 72.4%, lose
musket v rifle, 9.9 v 8.06, 85.0%, win
musket v rifle, 9.9 v 7.89, 85.6%, win
musket v rifle, 9.9 v 7.72, 85.2%, win
musket v cannon, 9.9 v 7.68, 85.5%, win
musket v rifle, 9.9 v 9.4, 66.5% lose
xbow v rifle, 7.2 v 6.55, 88.7%, win
longbow v rifle, 7.2 v 6.31, 87.5%, win
longbow v rifle, 7.2 v 4.77, 97.8%, win
xbow v rifle, 7.2 v 4.03, 98.7%, win (GG)
HA v rifle, 6.6 v 3.21, 95.8%, win
HA v rifle, 6.0 v 2.85, 98.9%, win
warrior v rifle, 2.2 v 1.38, 94.3% win

Here's the end, although I'm missing the shot of the winning (and vulnerable) army on the hill. And to clarify the boat situation, the top 4 are frigates and the other 6 eastindiamen. I doubt they're all full with 24 units (but maybe they are) but I feel like next turn's not going to be good.

The end is near for Mav

Turn 185, 1250ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Finally getting our spy defense set. It's too bad they've outspent us so much in EP. I bet their over half way there to the -50% spending multiplier.

Mav
Spoiler :

Beginning of turn: So there's your 24 units. And here is the wounded stack on the hill missing from last turn.

12 cannons, 12 units. I knew we had enough units to last for at least a turn and I contemplated doing something like pulling out all but 12+ units (they had one east india at the shore able to pick up troops for maybe 16 units max) but the onslaught of those cannon would be too much, I wanted to find any reason to attack. And finally, I found enough in musket v cannon battles, it would just be alot to get there (although the reletively low number -5 cav 7 rifle- that pushed me on. And even when we got there the odds wouldn't be great, but maybe we could get lucky. But along the way I lost track of what I was trying to do. I used all muskets and was left with too many 6 v 12 battles. And at that point with all the wounded, it would take like 3 units to do a dent in what they had left so I stopped it. I used too many catapult on Q. Instead it's over. We're stuck on defense, and even then our turns are few.

Turn 186, 1260ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Mav
Spoiler :

They heal for the most part (and add a few units.) aside from all the cannon (which is still relatively fresh). I doubt they heal next turn.

Turn 187, 1270ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Mav
Spoiler :

They take INJIYA and leave it with just a CR II rifle and a drill something cannon. We have one fresh and one 4.2 musket w/ two promotions so that and the rabble strike south. We take it, leaving our Capital, Gold City, undefended. The rest of our battered army has only a hill between us and our inevitable fate.

Turn 188, 1280ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

It's starting to look like we'll be in strike. We got 40 more gold from mav later but mav's days are numbered at 2. I'll have to revolt to whatever causes the most anarchy (when I'm able to next turn)

Mav
Spoiler :

Turn 189, 1290ad

Merlot
Spoiler :

Mav
Spoiler :

2 rifles land near the 6 calvary. We still have culture, but our three units won't stand a chance. In fact, I played the turn last night and this morning it was taken. That's it, Mav is dead.

Turn 190, 1300ad
Spoiler :

1 out of 3 is enough to do it; Baths is where they're trying.

It's too bad we don't have Banking cause then we could do 3 turn anarchy.

Amazon has been drafting 3 units a turn for a good while now, certainly double-digit turns and maybe twice over. It's coming but when

Turn 193, 1330ad
Spoiler :

As much as I like staggering our defenses toward our capital I suppose it's entirely possibly that they're getting close to big enough where they could hit us amphibiously, our capital included. (center attack tile and cap shown in above pic). But don't think I'm gonna start collapsing cities either. I ended up leaving the economy as shown below so technically we're not yet totally in the red.

Turn 194, 1340ad
Spoiler :

So wow, the turn I take vacation something new happens. For whatever reason, they line up 4 galleons all in front and show some (5) land units, familiar names we know well. I can't help but think they're beginning to be up to something. Now, it may not be screened correctly, but there are an abundance of tiles they could hide galleons in, starting with the one below "theodora" to our whole ocean edge. CDZ has done little if anything, still holding 3 galleons pinned against Royal Gardens and slowly building up the library.

But as much as I debated pulling all our units to the Castle (even if only for a turn), it might be nothing.

So here's everything. And giving an earlier subject some more thought, I don't think'll be too lucky that they'll be attacking amphibiously. Drafted units, which could easily be 48-60+, won't start that high.

Those power numbers seem pretty lopsided. sirius/cdk share an averaged 954500; I'd kick 20000 up for sirius and down for cdz. But if I think back to what sirius had v mav at the end wasn't too much more than we could deal with so if that's 110000 then amazon's 1293000 might still not be enough.

The obvious landing spot is the wine, out of reach of baths as our units are arrayed as shown. We have 22 catapults. At 4-6 units collateral plus attack damage minus siege absorbing collateral, I'm giving us about 100 effective collateral hits. And with cav and rifles at the higher strength, I'd think we'd want to get at least 2 or more collateral hits on each unit, so that would put our beak even point (at least for the single turn) to be about 40 let's say 50 units. I think if they land 60 with like 15 seige, our 50 lesser units won't be able to handle it. If we collapse the 9, 12 and 15 periferal units to the cap, then our 75ish units might handle 60.

btw of the 4 galleons all are familiar except winepress. the others are dora's revenge, nabaxia pride and anoth but winepress is new and coming from the west. Are they that brash to tell us where their going to get us the turn before? Or do they want us to know this and get us elsewhere?

-
-
-

But for now I've left the turn as shown. I'll admit I'm a little hesitant to empty cities for a guy who's probably around but hasn't spoken up yet.

And the turns no over yet, at least not for another 12 hours. I'll leave it like this for now (and perhaps finally) but I'll check in the morning in case anyone chimes in or if I change my mind. Fktor, if I moved alot towards the capital as sort of a check could you move it back in case nothing happened? Or maybe where just better off like this. I suppose we could just abandon Castle if things looked too unpromising (alot landed). Though I think it's a pretty good guess those cdz galleons on royal gardens are empty (imaging the unit costs to park them there forever like they've done) and that we cas afford to send all but like 2 units out of there (at least for a turn) while we shore up the capital's side of things.

Thoughts?

Turn 195, 1350AD
Spoiler :

No attack yet. Amazon brings 3 more galleons to the scene, coming from the north, as well as show us a few more units. CDZ moves their library galleon 1NE - for no better reason other that to join the display, I guess.
I've rearranged tiles a bit to allow Castle and Gardens to grow faster - should be enough to stabilize the economy. Didn't whip anything.

Turn 196, 1360AD
Spoiler :

Boring turn. Did absolutely nothing - I don't want to whip before the economy recovers.

Amazons show us some more units, and it is somewhat possible that they are loading an invasion force in full sight. The Vikings move their galleon back, otherwise do nothing.

Turn 197, 1370ad
Spoiler :

So no, they're still not yet here. A handful of units moved out of Gardens to our center-of-island square.

On their side we see the galleons (on tile had 3), some of which still running spy duties. 12 and 3 land units shown.

Turn 198, 1380ad
Spoiler :

Interesting developement: Sirius has now declared on Quatronia.

I asked for any sort of peace in the hopes that they (which i believe has become "he" as in cav scout) might be willing to share in those tech.

I am also contemplating sending a letter, cced to all teams but Sirius, asking if they would be willing to, more or less, break from the past, cooperate and challenge sirius. I'd imagine by then it'd be infantry, likely more.

But maybe it is too ambitious to include all? I suppose i should log in to check if cav scout accepted (he logged in since) and take it from there.

Top Bottom