DX9 vs. DX10/11

jmills

Chieftain
Hey Guys,

I'm new here, just joined yesterday. I have a question, what exactly does "Service Pack 2 Required" mean on the Civ 5 launcher under the DX10/11 option. Is this service pack it's speaking of an OS service pack, or a service pack to the game etc...

Second, does DX10/11 have any advantage to the games framerate, I am satisfied with my current framerate, on medium high graphics, but I've noticed that framerate still dips at times.

Thanks!

---Jason

It means your operating system needs to be updated. I'm unclear that DX10/11 improves performance, though it does make things look prettier.

Its better to do update with dx10/11 it is much better I can't remeber how to update it though.

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

In case you're on Windows Vista, then it means you have to install the Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista.
If you're on Windows7, then it means either Civ5 or Steam have accidentally been installed in Vista compatibility mode, and you should deactive the compatibility mode.
(how? Right click on the Steam or Civ5.exe, go to properties, check the compatibility tab, and untick the box for compatbility mode).

And in general: DX10/11 = more beautiful, but also more taxing the system. If you have problems with the frame rate, then stay at DX9.

And in general: DX10/11 = more beautiful, but also more taxing the system. If you have problems with the frame rate, then stay at DX9.

Has this actually been tested? I know some games such as World of Warcraft actually get better FPS using DX11. I know DX11 can most definitely be used to make the graphics look better but from what I've read if you're rendering the same scene with the same settings, DX11 will give better performance because it's more efficient than DX9.

I would say to use a program like FRAPS and see for yourself which one gives you better performance if you're interested.

Top Bottom