Varica: Children of the Sky

Lord Damarkes stood on the steps of the palace in Darium and looked out over the crowd. He had been stationed in the Marches for a long time now but he still longed for the crowds that would turn up for the speeches in the capital. Those were the days; he had been in the right social circles and enjoyed the parties that accompanied his generalship. He glanced at the troops standing at attention in battle regalia between him and the crowd. They weren’t necessary anymore; the Darium had been pacified and today he was going to reward them for their loyalty.

Thane Darit’h was a young man to occupy the position of Thane yet he was a skilled tactician and general as befitted his Darium heritage Damarkes grudgingly admitted to himself. He looked down at his on worn hands and sighed; he was no longer as youthful as he had been when he was granted his title of Lord. It was time to begin:
People of Darium, Emissaries of the Chemenids, Chekrids, Jarids, and Darians, I have seen much improvement in our state since the war ended and our people have accepted their brothers of the Empire. I was once afraid to walk the streets of this glorious city because some of the prejudice, the naïveté, the people the Marches. You thought that we were to be feared but I showed you the strength of the Emperor. The people of the Marches have had their eyes opened! They have seen the light Haeka has blessed Varica with and they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. I believe in the people of the March and their potential and I wish to recognize their loyalty, especially that of the Darians. So I do hereby promote Thane Darit’h of the Darians to be my second in command in all matters political and military; he shall also be the head of a new program to increase the strength of the Marches. We shall be the strength of the new emperor in his hour of need and the Marches shall gain the place in the Varican Empire they deserve!

Damarkes bowed slightly to the people gathered and shook hands firmly with Darit’h. Damarkes trusted him to fulfill his new duties admirably; the people loved him and he was talented. It did worry Damarkes that a Darian was in such a position of power. It had been a long time since the war and those responsible had been dealt with. Besides, when his program worked and the Marches could form the backbone of the Varican army he would be promoted out of here and some other fool would be stuck in his place. Damarkes reminded himself he would just have to be careful not to die since that would make Darit’h the next Lord of the Marches. And while he spoke highly of the Darians he actually felt them far inferior.

Darit’h rode out of Darium the following week and began his journey across the countryside. Lord Damarkes wanted the Marches’ army to be a powerful tool of the empire and it was his job to create it. He rode to the Chemenids and the Jarids first as they had always been friends of the Darians and he would find support there. In the village of the Chemenids he found both Thanes as he had requested they meet him there. He bowed first to the Chemenid leader as he was the eldest and deserved much respect. So great were his prowess when the Chemenid marched under him in the last war that he had remained unchallenged even as his hair now began to grey and thin. Thane Rurik had been his mentor and Darit’h knew he would approve of the plans for the training of the new army. Thane Maesi of the Jarids was one of the few female thanes to exist in recent years since the empire discouraged them. She was not particularly tactful nor cultured yet she was a proud leader and a strong shield-maiden.

…So the army must be raised so if we are to be successful in their training before the deadline. If we do basic training near Darium it will keep Damarkes happy and then we would be free to move about the countryside and gather recruits and build spirit afterward. For the final field exercise I have suggested that we take the men north into the mountains and work on scouting and perhaps we shall encounter the Fulanti.

The men eagerly signed on with Darit’h as he stayed in town for a few days before moving to the East and gaining the support of the Chekrids. They had not always been very close with the other tribes of the Marches but they gladly accepted the leader of a Darian over whatever Hrothnani general Damarkes would appoint to them if they refused to support the new army. He may have learned to trust the ‘barbarians’ of the Marches but the feeling was not always mutual.
Of course when Darit’h arrived in among the Darian they flocked to his banner; not only was he their Thane and general but he offered them decent jobs in a region were any job of even moderate affluence was taken by the Hrothnani or given to those who waited on them hand and foot. And so it was with a mass of fresh men that Darit’h retired to the field outside of the city to pick his commanders and begin training. He had a long road ahead of him.

Pursuit of Folly

“I am the twice-crowned Emperor. I am the Smiter of the Snerkitti, the Unifier of Varica, and the Descent of Haeka. I am the Invincible Hroth, fourth of that name and my dynasty will rule until the end of Time.” –Emperor Hroth IV

“Do you remember when you ordered the slaughter of the innocent Phridia?”

“Yes I do milord Haeka.”

“Then you shall do as I say. Remember.”

He stepped into the archway. It was a cold night and the soldiers beyond were huddled around their campfires, trying their best to stay warm. Dismissing his guide with a gentle nod, he turned to face the man. It was a pity that such a man would fall from such heights.

“Do you remember me? Hronu, Commander of the Raeka?”

“How can I not? Even with my addled mind from drink, I can never forget you. I was to be Emperor but it was not to be. The learned diplomat, the dark schemer and now the clothed priest of Haeka; you are what you desire the world to see. What do you want from me O Learned One?”

“Your redemption Hronu. I desire naught but your redemption. You, who were once a man of strength, am now naught but a shadow. Have you been so seduced by cheap wine and cheaper women, provided to you by Hroth, that you can no longer be? I come bearing the possibility of redemption under the Home of Haeka. Do not push away this outstretched hand for His Patience is not infinite.”

He turned. With a glance back, he saw a man torn by either inner demons or a man driven by lust and gluttony. He would have to make his peace with Haeka.

Rivers. Their names differ but they all entered the mighty Dhun. Or did they?

His name was Miaeus. Miaeus of the Xanfa, once a Prince, but now a Prince no more.
Stripped not by royal edict, he was still a Prince in name. He was not, by choice. To be Prince was to be infected by a splendid curse. The rituals, the mandatory scraping, and the need to prove your manliness by great feats of conquest and plunder; it was all crude to him. The crunching of numbers, the construction of merchant ships, the expansion of industry and trade, these were the things that interested him. That was why this news interested him so much. And the man in front of him would be the key.

“So the Hurotoans stopped your ship and ordered that you turn back?” It was a simple question, and he watched closely the man’s reaction. He had been the first of the ship captains to have returned to Telius with the news of the closing of the Fork.

“Yes milord, they came onboard and told us that we would not be allowed to row further. They did not seize our cargo or anything.” The man looked sure of himself, at least enough. “Were other ships stopped?” “No milord, not that I know of.”
The conversation continued, until he was satisfied that he knew as much as he could gleam from the captain’s mind and memory. His father would appreciate his effort, if not his actions.

“Dear Father,

It is with great distress that I write to you from the lands of our vassals the Revnor. The report is true. Huroto has blocked off the southern passages of the Fork to Validiran traffic. I am uncertain upon the reasoning of the Huroto, but it seems that they are using Lord Phridia’s Church as the excuse to usurp our trade. I am planning to return as soon as possible to Telius in order to present my list of proposals in response to the Hurotoan hostility.

That being said, I believe it is in our interest to drive Huroto quickly to the negotiation table and end this obstacle to trade. It seems inconceivable that the Huroto could possibly consider their present action. It speaks of madness; even if the rumors are true and they have access to the Land of Wheat and Fish, overland trade cannot compete with trade along the river systems of the Varican Empire.

Your Dutiful Son,

Miaeus de Xanfa

“”In the time of Our Lord Haeka, in the reign of His Imperial majesty Hroth V, the greatest of Hroth IV’s retainers came to meet his Lord in the northern plains beyond the mountains, the Northern Reaches. Faced with an army of fell beasts, King Adalbrandr of the Mighty Hrafn fell in glorious combat. And upon his death, his eternal auia, his eternal spirit, came to sit beside our Lord Haeka. And seated upon Haeka’s right, he became the avenging angel. To smite those who dared to defy the will of Haeka.

For when the time comes, and Jagrokan returns, Adalbrandr shall lead the heavenly hosts. In full armor and regalia and upon winged beasts, they shall come but only after hope is but a twinkle in the eyes of Haecomus. This host, of angelic beauty and grace, shall smite through beautiful white light. Yet until that time comes, Adalbrandr shall not rest in his vigil over mankind. To reward the righteous and punish the wicked is his solemn task. Desist ye mortals! For your willful sins shall corrupt!"

He slammed the book closed. It was a beautiful handwritten manuscript he himself had written. A pity that it will never see the light of day, he had his opinion about the literacy of the Hrafn. Producers of beautiful poetry and tapestries they were, but not of the written word. The unknown historian, he would toil in quiet and pray to Haeka that perhaps one of his many manuscripts would survive to see the Haecomus’ ascent to Haeka’s domain. But until then, he would labor..

The Tale of Jagrokan​
The tale of Jagrokan begins with the immaculate birth of the three races: the Sargothi, the Thune and the Haecomus. The subsequent story of the deaths of Ptolos, Thea and Sara are known. Of the Sargothi, there was one favored above all by Ptolos. His name was Jagrokan, the King of the Sargothi. While all of the races inherited the essence of their creators, Jagrokan was blessed above all. His virtues were those of modesty, tolerance and restraint. He had attempted to moderate the rampant greed of his fellow Sargothi but had been rebuffed due to their jealousy. Yet when the light faded, they turned to him for guidance. For his blessing was that of light; not the light of the stars, but a dim light nonetheless.

His ascension doomed him. Power corrupted him, and his once genial and friendly self turned into a persona of greed and perversity. He led his fellow Sargothi against our ancestors and the Thunes. Slaughtering us in huge numbers, the Sargothi feasted like bugs upon our life forces. When Haeka returned and had the Sargothi smitten by his righteous anger. Jagrokan alone survived. Throwing himself upon the feet of our Heavenly Father, Jagrokan confessed his sins. Having witnessed the execution of all his fellow Sargothi, he had returned to his once pristine self.

Our Lord Haeka forgave Jagrokan, and bid him to rise. When Jagrokan stood up, Haeka embraced him as his own. He said to Jagrokan, give mercy to those who have repented for like you others shall sin. You must separate the wheat from the chaff, and deliver only those of pure essence to me.

And so Jagrokan obeyed and settled himself among the stars, to judge the worthy. For that, he is the Lord of Mercy and Repentance for only one who has deeply sinned can know forgiveness.

A player has brought up an interesting point. I wanted armies to be about 1.5 times the size they were in the last game. Maybe 2 times at best. Currently most players have the ability to start with an army many times the size of that.

More importantly, if a player spent his entire spending spree, he wouldn't be able to pay the upkeep on it. I am therefore significantly reducing the size of armies available at the start of the game. I apologize to my players for this sudden change, especially the player who already submitted starting stats.

Just confirming that im here, i need to do some reading hehe

EDIT: Just a quick question/point, Bexian and Xanfa dont have a trade group and Xanfa isnt listed under playable or npc nations, or i just cant see it :p

I'm here to confirm Bexian, but I need to read some more to submit the stats.

Just confirming that im here, i need to do some reading hehe

EDIT: Just a quick question/point, Bexian and Xanfa dont have a trade group and Xanfa isnt listed under playable or npc nations, or i just cant see it :p

The Xanfa tribe are the ruling tribe of Validira, which is in the Heartlands region. You're right that Bexian doesn't have a region, thanks for pointing it out. I'm putting it in the Heartlands too.

OOC: ah there we go i was looking for a nation starting with an X at least hehe most others have pretty similar names but thats cool.
Great story by the way Strategos, mighty indeed.

IC:

To Rhakhim Mizrahi Ruler of the Nimosa
From Warrior King Tyrion of the Teraldur:

Hail Friend, it has come to my attention that your people and mine could greatly benefit from trade between our lands. Primarily we are interested in bringing to your people both honey and building stone, in exchange for whatever goods your traders hope to sell to my people. We would also greatly appreciate it if some of our traders, who hope to make their way to the lands of the Thune in order to sell pottery, tiles and such, could travel through your lands and take ship from the coast to the Thune cities in the east.

Yours in Blood and Friendship,
Tyrion.

To Jyanna of the Proud Hrafn
From Warrior King Tyrion of the Teraldur:

It saddens me deeply fair lady that your noble husband has fallen, know that we shall heed your call to arms if you ever need us unless we are besieged by the foul Sunta or some other evil. Know also that we shall send only our very best men to honour Adalbrandr at his funeral games.

Yours in Blood and Friendship,
Tyrion

My internet isn't working at home and there is a three day weekend coming up. I'm going to get someone to come and fix it but I don't expect them until sometime next week. I'll try to stay connected by plugging in at a friend's place occasionally.

Tyrion paced to and fro, staring at the map that, over the turbulent years of his reign, had become the centrepiece of his quarters. The borders had shifted time and again over his reign but he rested easy in the knowledge that they had mostly shifted in his favour, if at a heavy loss.

But for some time now an eerie peace had settled over the land. Many had lost sons, brothers and fathers to the Suntan incursion and many of Tyrion's people still bayed for their blood. Whether that blood would be shed anytime soon though was another matter entirely. The Warrior King he had named himself, the Barbarian Butcher his people called him and he had earned that title. But he was not simply a blood hungry soldier, he was first of all a King. A King that needed to look out for the best interests of his war ravaged people. You could not fight an endless war, you needed time to prepare and grow, to live and raise families. You needed time for strong boys to grow into powerful men. Tyrion needed men, money and metal but above all he needed time.

Time to rebuild the farmlands, the towns and his city. Time to rebuild his army. Time to build upon existing friendships and craft new ones. Time to develop the trade routes his nation would need to prosper. Just time, that was all he wanted. But he knew that it wouldn't be as simple as putting sand in an hourglass, no that wasn't how Haeka had made the world.

He sat down at his desk and began looking through reports that were coming in from his vassals when a knock came at the door.

"What is it?" He gruffly asked whoever was on the other side of his still shut door, must be one of the new servants he thought absentmindedly to himself, most of the old ones werent scared of opening his door anymore... most of them.

"My Lord, a delegation from the Huroto has arrived," the messenger replied.

Tyrion looked to the roof, perhaps Haeka had just given him some sand to put in an hourglass. He rose and opened the door finding a mouselike boy on the other side, he gave him a steely gaze for a moment before breaking into a smile, "Never fear lad, this is good news, go tell the cook to prepare us something grand to eat."

It was time to see if Haeka had given him some of the most valuable sand under the sun.

Control points have been added to the main page for turn 1. I haven't included the Land of Wheat and Fish, since most markets only have 1 player to trade with and Huroto leads Teraldur in the only market they both has access to.

I've corrected a few mistakes. Most notably, I've added the Nakar's vassal tribes.

How is everyone doing with upkeep? I can bump up grain or beer production almost no one has enough. There will be a wool shortage. You'll have to bargain with the Thune, Nakar, or elsewhere to get more. I'm going to raise the amount of saon raised by the Thune as well.

(shrug) Of course I would love to have more food and booze. But of the two, booze is the only one I am actually hurting in. I leave that to you oh great moderator to make the decision.

And since we're on the topic of Saon (sheep) may I turn in four Saon to get one timber? And then use that timber and some brick to make a road? (Joking of course. Cookie to anyone besides Fulton who gets the reference)

There is a lot of awesome diplomacy going on in the background that's well written and interesting. I know this because a couple of players CC it to me, or at least the important parts. If you guys wouldn't mind, could you start doing this diplomacy in public, unless it's very sensitive. Planning an attack on another player or something of that ilk obviously shouldn't be public, but things like brokering passage to Adalbrandr's funeral, making alliances, making trades, etc. That stuff should probably be public so player can enjoy what you write and have an idea of what's going on in the game.

Also, I want to get the game started before I take off to Japan for five days. I'm declaring a deadline of Thursday, 18th of February, Korean Standard Time to get pre-game stats in, then we will officially begin the first turn with an 'Update 0' filled with rumours, story leads, and new from outside Varica.

@Hunter: No, you cannot build a road with sheep. Nor can your people eat 4 iron instead of 1 grain. Nice try.

OOC: I'm here, will be doing some writing later.

P.S. Settlers of Catan, now where's my cookie.

A Letter to Queen Jyanna of Hrafn
The Mighty Adalbrandr lies dead? I had heard rumour of this, but was slow to believe. O, a woeful day must have been that which saw his end.

I shall set out for Varica, and prepare to honour a fallen champion of our age.

-King Radu of Dolu

Sorry I'm behind on responding to those who've already sent them to me. I still don't have internet access at home. I'm going to put up Update 0, a story, and stats updated to reflect starting buys sometime Friday Korean time.

I'll be gone the 20th-24th in Japan so the first turn will be slightly extended to reflect my absence. Update 0 and the associated things will be posted before I leave so you guys can get started.

I'll try to respond to everyone who sent me something tonight while I'm leeching internet from a friend.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in the rules that you don't need to spend metal when purchasing your starting units.

I'm around and about, now that there's something to be interested in again. ;)

Should respond to various PM questions at some point later today. My apologies for taking so long.

Temple of Light Incident
The streets of Bexuni were bustling with activity, as it was the weekend for the Bexian people. All the streets were filled with life, although most of the noise came from the Bexuni marketplace, one of the points of interest in the capital. Many rural farmers in the Bexian tribe influence have come to sell their crops. The market also included a large enough number of foreign merchants, which also aided in fueling the Bexian economy. Although, while the marketplace was one of the greater points of interest in the city, it was nothing compared to the Bexuni temple didicated to Haeka, named by it's followers as the Temple of Light.

One of the reminders of Bexuni's relative rich economy, and it's position as the capital of the Bexuni kingdom, the Temple of Light, built from what little stone the Bexuni land has accomulated and coated with statues of events in creation. In the center of the Temple, a giant statue of Haeka stands, with his three daughters, given their first light by Haeka's kindness. Many visitors come the temple, many citizens of Bexuni who wish to state their daily prayer, some villagers who live near the capital, and a few visitors and tourists from the kingdom and neighbors who came to see Bexuni's jewel.

The time of the evening prayers have come, and the preacher, Brother Philliray Daecotus, is heard throughout the halls. Though his words are not only prayers, but something bigger. Philliray is known to be a major entity in the Bexuni Anti-Phridianism, and today, this has taken over him. His prayers were highly associated with the hate to Phridians, which many of the people in the temple seemed to realize.

"And Plotos, Thea and Sara shined their light upon us, and the races were born, and the evil were born, and the righteous were born. The followers of Haeka gained their power from Haeka, and worshipped Haeka. Those who do not, Shall be burnt in the pyre, for they are sinners to Haeka." He raised his voice proggressivly, until he reached the word 'Haeka' and returned to himself. Everyone knew who he was refering to as 'Sinners', yet no one dared to question the preacher.

This was supposed to stay inside the temple walls, but it was already too much for the Phridian citizens. With growing Anti-Phridianism from traditional Haekists, the tensions escalated, until the preacher's prayers were done. The enthusiasm is the Haekists grew, to right the wrong that is Phridianism. Soon, a few Phridian citizens were beaten by the Haekists, with little help from the guards, who even took part in it. None hurried to inform King Ban, who was conveniently holding a conferance inside the Bexuni castle. This was not the worse to come the uncontious Phridians that were almost killed by the angry mob.

When they woke up, they immidiatly recognized where they were - It was the plaza, just outside the Temple of Light. There he was, the preacher, Brother Philliray, and a number of Haekist priests standing near him. The Phridians were tied to poles made from wood, used to excecute thieves and murderers with fire. But now they were the victims. They looked at the guards, begging for mercy. But the guards just looked at them, and smirked at thier near demise. They then looked at the preacher, who was clearly the one behind all of this. His face, wrinkled from old age, but clearly disturbed for a reason.

"And Haeka gave light to his daughters, and his daughters gave light to us, and we shall give light to them. Light the bonfires!" The preacher yelled, and the priests near him, holding burning torches, happily accepted. Each went to a pole, and threw his torch at it, to light it up. There were about ten Phridians there, and all were burning, without commiting any crime. The burned, crying for mercy, and the crowd was cheering for the pain. None went to call the king, not even the guards.

The event continued for about an hour, until the bodies were reduced to ashes. Many people who went to say what criminal has been burned this day, have found the burnt bodyparts of the Phridians. Most cheered, without even knowing who they were burning. Such is the crowd, cheering for anything the other cheers. Yet most of the Bexuni citizens were used to such gruesome excecutions, and such methods were not spared to even the youngest of thieves.

In the end of the event, when it is already too late, a Phridian guard who did not know the victims and reason for their excecution until they were burnt to ashes, went to the Bexuni castle court. He asked the king to see the event himself, and explained the horros. The meeting was already over, and so the king was curious if what the guard said was true, and followed him, accompanied with his bodyguards. When he reached the plaza, he immidiatly saw the cremated bodies.

"Who done this?!" The king yelled at the crowd, that immidiatly turned to face the king. The people became pale in seconds, and moved away from the king. He unsheathed his sword, and immidiatly sliced the head of one of the cheering people. The people were terrified enough, that they looked around the plaza for the preacher. Yet no preacher and no priests were seen there, as they escaped the capital. Their goals were clear, and they have accomplished them. Why? It is not known, but the thin line of relations between the Haekists and Phridians was finnaly torn.

This incident was from then known as the Temple of Light incident. It was the first major act of Anti-Phridianism inside Bexian. The Phridian population of Bexuni considers leaving, and the Phridian followers slowly begin to leave to the rural lands of Bexian, or cross to other tribes. This would be devastating for Bexian if that view would become realized, and so King Ban has worked to fix this accordingly, now that Bexian schools teach of co-existance of the two religions, and more focusing on the conflict.

Top Bottom