Do you like the Modern / Atomic / Information era split?

Do you like the Modern / Atomic / Information era split?

• Yes.

Votes: 87 56.5%
  • Yes, but I'd change a couple things.

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • No, I want the earlier one (Modern / Future era).

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • No. I've got an idea (please explain).

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, technology has grown by leaps and bounds in 21 years. But the Future/Information Era tiers are too sparsely populated, as if not much breakthroughs happened in this period.

While many advancements have come in the last 100 years or so, I think we give too much value to these recent things. Look back at writing, an ancient era tech. That being a single tech is almost laughable. There was the tablet, the stylus, papyrus, ink, paper, the scroll, the codex, and all of this just a small number of the breakthroughs on the materials. Writing, represented by a man carving symbols into stone, isn't "upgraded" until you research printing press.

I find it to be much more outrageous that your people develop these things though time than to think they discover extremophiles though the biology tech at some point, or that all we have from the internet comes soon after the computer is discovered.

If anything needs to be fleshed out more, it's the early ages. Advancement has moved quickly recently, yes, but it always has. Yes, there is quite a leap from robotics to nanotechnology, but something is missing in the jump from metal casting to physics or mining to masonry too. If anything, it's the early part of the tech tree that needs some meat.

Top Bottom