Papal Primacy works gradually

clif9710

Warlord
Playing as Siam, I like to have whatever influence I can get with CS's, so the Papal Primacy founder belief is a good thing to have. It will bump up the resting point with CS's that follow my religion by 15.

However, I discovered that this increase doesn't come immediately. I used a GPr to bring my religion to a couple of CS's (with no other religion present) but noticed the resting point of my influence in those CS's did not increase. I knew the CS's were following my religion because my religious icon appeared by the city names. It took a few turns for the resting point to move up, but it did.

Papal primacy affects the resting point of influence, and doesn't just give you a 15 point shot. So if you declare war and then make peace, you'll notice your influence improving by 1 point a turn till it reaches 0. If you pledge to protect, again, it goes up 1 point a turn till it reaches 10. Papal primacy works the same way, so the influence will go up 1 point a turn till it reaches the resting point (all else being equal, this will be at 15). Other things change the resting point and work in the same way, including a policy in patronage and you'll lose resting point if you're particularly nasty to CS's too. These stack, so if you've got the patronage policy and either papal primacy or pledge to protect (or both) then the resting point will be enough to be permanent friends with the CS, even if you haven't met them!

Lastly - to go up 1 a turn is standard, but, as with losing influence over time, gaining influence over time is affected by other things (I think it might be quicker with greece, and possibly slower if the CS is hostile, though have never checked this).

Yeah. Patronage->Aesthetics works the same way in G&K. It does not happen immediately and takes time to build up.

In Vanilla, it *did* have an instantaneous effect.

Do some of the resting point benefits get negated? I recently had this setup..

Papal Primacy ( Religion was in city)
Pledged to Protect
Aesthetics

I would expecting
+15
+10
+20
to my rest rate, however the mouseover says (will rest at 35) That seems to indicate that I am not getting the benefit of protection anymore. Does the protection modifier not stack with the others? If so, protection seems not worth it except for perhaps very early in the game.

Do some of the resting point benefits get negated? I recently had this setup..

Papal Primacy ( Religion was in city)
Pledged to Protect
Aesthetics

I would expecting
+15
+10
+20
to my rest rate, however the mouseover says (will rest at 35) That seems to indicate that I am not getting the benefit of protection anymore. Does the protection modifier not stack with the others? If so, protection seems not worth it except for perhaps very early in the game.

They all stack. In your case, resting point is 45 without any exception.

I take it back. For some reason I was no longer protecting a CS I thought I was. When I pressed protect it correctly updated to 45. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah. Patronage->Aesthetics works the same way in G&K. It does not happen immediately and takes time to build up.

In Vanilla, it *did* have an instantaneous effect.

I didn't know that. I used to use the 20 point base as a method to get a clean slate for a diplo victory late. Good to know about the change.

I take it back. For some reason I was no longer protecting a CS I thought I was. When I pressed protect it correctly updated to 45. Sorry for the confusion.
Probably some other civ said that he/she had bullied/attacked CS and you didn't respond "You'll pay for it".

Top Bottom