TSG93 After Actions

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG93 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use your UU and was it effective?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Did you use Faith to help you achieve victory? How?
- Did you try to use Sacred Sites, how did it work out?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 93
Date submitted: 2014-09-03 01:09:48
Reference number: 31632
Your name: Mutineer
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1981AD
Turns played: 401
Base score: 2170
Final score: 2170
Time played: 15:14:00
Submitted save: Boudicca_0401 AD-1981.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Mutineer_C509301.Civ5Save

Basically I try military solution but with every civ hating warmongers and Originally English having too big sci lead progress was very slow. At the end China run away on other continent and won.

From looking back I begin to think that best solution was to do 3 city liberty (not 5 cities as I did) and go full military aggression, stop piety at 3 and then go full honor, ignore aesthetic. That might worked.

Date submitted: 2014-09-03 14:09:50
Reference number: 31634
Your name: VandyFan08
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1944AD
Turns played: 365
Base score: 1701
Final score: 2362
Time played: 7:50:00
Submitted save: TSG93Complete.Civ5Save
Renamed file: VandyFan08_C509301.Civ5Save

This went a whole lot slower than my practice game but overall, I'll call it a win. First submission and second win for Culture, so I think there is definitely some room for improvement. Specifically, I needed to warmonger earlier (English cultural runaway really slowed things down) and Russia not giving me open borders meant no music tours for them. End result was me declaring war on Russia (last Civ for cultural victory), nuking them a few times, and using my final Great Musician for cultural victory. However, I think I could have shaved off 20 turns or so if I had started earlier.

I definitely could have used the Pictish Warrior more to my advantage, as the lack of a good faith pantheon really hurt my chances for early religion. I was actually the last religion founded so got all of the leftovers...

Spying worked well to push me ahead technologically in the middle to late game but at some point I shot ahead of the other civilizations and switched them all to Diplomats.

I think continents is fine for this victory condition but the specific map itself wasn't a great start and definitely slowed me down.

Not sure it affected me too significantly as I am trying to transition into a Deity player so this felt much more attainable than other games I've played.

Unfortunately, my faith production was incredibly weak (no faith buildings). I used what little faith I had end game to purchase Great Musicians to bomb other cultures.

Didn't try this out but may have to run this again to give it a whirl.

T248 culture victory.

Date submitted: 2014-09-04 01:16:15
Reference number: 31637
Your name: Acken
Game date: 1690AD
Turns played: 248
Base score: 914
Final score: 1865
Time played: 3:13:00
Submitted save: TSG93_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C509301.Civ5Save

Nothing out of the ordinary, just a slow version of it the map being quite poor imo and I somewhat failed the Renaissance/Rationalism transition. I played the last part quickly since I was bored of cities taking 10 turns to build stuff and being low on gold. The map was just bad terrain and had to catch up to England in culture.

Built some wonders: Oracle, Borobodur, Machu Pichu, Pisa, Uffizi, Broadway. Missed Sistine by 2 turns....

Passed 3 WC resolution: WFair, World Religion and Cultural heritage site.
Had only one landmark and not even in cap... I hate that.
Won with Internet, didnt take Radar.

Bulbed 3 GM at the end (2 bought 1 natural). I also bought 1 GE and 1GS at some point. I picked Pilgrimage as a founder belief instead of Tithe. Don't know if that was a good choice, had a lot of extra faith but ultimately missed a lot of gold. I really shouldn't have taken culture for temple though and should have sticked to my usual Religious community.

Code:
Date submitted: 2014-09-04 20:06:13 
Reference number: 31642 
Your name: Olodune 
Game date: 1630AD 
Turns played: 236 
Base score: 1560 
Final score: 3319

A totally peaceful CV with 6 cities.

Spoiler :

I still don't feel comfortable with peaceful CV - especially the Industrial/Modern tech path. This time I went:

Sci Meth -> Chemistry -> Fertilizer -> Archeology -> Radio (Freedom) -> Indust -> Plastics. Make any sense? :lol: The reasoning for earlier Fertilizer was to grow a little, especially in the capital.

As usual, at the ending there was too much Tourism. Uneeded Faith, No Games, No Airports (despite just getting Radar and starting on the games).

Nice wonders:

Oracle
Borobudur
Machu Picchu
Pisa
Globe (Pisa Engi)
Sistine
Uffizi (Faith Engi)
SoL (Faith Engi #2)
Eiffel
Broadway (Dublin)

12 Artifacts

I only had 1 Landmark in my core cities .... too bad.

Biggest hurdles were Russia and England.

2 turns before internet

I built a city at ~t140 - late - I know.

By the end it was a solid contributor, and even had two landmarks.

Nope.

I was planning on using spies to coup - but the AI was unwilling to do any training until the last few turns. Very little impact.

Neat terrain made for a harsher feel. I liked it.

Skipped most ancient/classical wonders but knew anything I wanted in the renaissance was mine.

Two useful faith engineers and one musician. I had the faith for a second but she was unwanted.

No, but I think I was first religion (mid 50s), and so it might be possible here.

Yes, Cardiff in particular would suffer - with the coastal route it is a decent city. The first two caravans propped up Edinburgh, after that it was all coastal. Dublin could be a canal city, but then it loses valuable tiles and 1 early faith.

Looking back over my game there is obvious room for improvement: 1 or 2 fewer wonders from Engineers would allow for a ~12 turn faster internet. Since all we need is NVC + Internet I think I could trim ~10 turns off my game by replaying from the Renaissance.

Edit: I could have saved 1 turn by giving Liz a city, but my empire builder objected :)

Edit2: Ceilidh halls are really nice.

A$$ handed to me... :(

Was doing okay but never got ahead in science. Bribed wars which resulted in Civs wiped off the map leaving Russia, China and Portugal as the powerhouses - all in Order. I was Freedom and then got double DOWed by Russia and Portugal (who'd somehow taken over my alliances with surrounding City States).

I end up losing three cities (including my Capital) to City States - oh the shame of it!

I possibly could have tried for peace but Portugal was on rocket artillery and China only had two more spaceship parts to go so it was a done deal whichever way it went...

I'd love to know how people get their science going so well!

Date submitted: 2014-09-06 04:28:35
Reference number: 31649
Your name: raidandtrade
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 1957AD
Turns played: 377
Base score: 784
Final score: 784
Time played: 6:50:00
Submitted save: AutoSave_0377 AD-1957.Civ5Save
Renamed file: raidandtrade_C509301.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2014-09-07 00:52:48
Reference number: 31652
Your name: kevin.smith.4
Game date: 2024AD
Turns played: 449
Base score: 3574
Final score: 4015
Time played: 23:49:00
Submitted save: WINBoudicca_0449 AD-2024-July.Civ5Save
Renamed file: kevinsmith4_C509301.Civ5Save

Started off with Oral Traditions for my pantheon on account of all the dyes, silk, and banana laying around. First war was with England who got off to a great start. Whilst fighting them, China propped themselves up and became an even bigger threat. Conquering Beijing was quite difficult as their strength was ~240 at the time but I made it happen with a combo of 14 Bombers and a handful of land units. They even nuked me right before I puppet'd Beijing but I had no choice other than to exterminate them as their culture generation was ridiculous. Catching my tourism up would've taken 900 turns.

End game had China first attempting Science victory, followed by Spain and Byzantium trying the same. All three powers completed at least 4 spaceship parts and I was forced to conquer them; not allowing them wins.

I chose Autocracy. Started off with the +250 futurist perk and went from there. I fought way more wars than anticipated.

Tons of fun with this one, my very first Immortal triumph!!!!!

Timing didn't really allow much use of the melee unit, but the opera house upgrade was quite useful for a warmongering I had to go for.

I did steal a couple techs and the Diplomat bonus helped a bit too. End game was 4 powers with Russia, Byzantines, and Spanish; Russia was last to be Influential and was also only one without Autocracy (they'd gone Freedom) so Diplo bonus probably shaved a few turns.

???

I avoided SS (Sacred Sites) as I'd heard it was almost impossible on Immortal although I wouldn't mind trying.

After Industrial era, almost all faith was used towards Musicians

See above

Date submitted: 2014-09-10 20:49:53
Reference number: 31664
Your name: Sempronius
Game date: 1915AD
Turns played: 336
Base score: 978
Final score: 978
Time played: 66:49:00
Submitted save: Boudicca_0336 AD-1916.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Sempronius_C509301.Civ5Save

China ran away with it in the end. I learned a lot about playing a culture game and a whole lot more about how not to play culture. Every game of Civ is fun, and this one was more challenging than most. If I were to play it again I would be more aggressive, but being behind in tech for most of the game meant being out-gunned. At one point I did make a defensive pact with Russia, Portugal, and Byzantium; this was great when England attacked and I could just watch the carnage. China killed off Spain and after that they were the run away winners with a space victory, if only i'd had nukes sooner... next time.

Date submitted: 2014-09-19 19:16:07
Reference number: 31700
Your name: glory7
Game date: 1580AD
Turns played: 226
Base score: 1186
Final score: 2635
Time played: 6:25:00
Submitted save: gotm93_glory7_0226 AD-1580.Civ5Save
Renamed file: glory7_C509301.Civ5Save

haven't played civ5 for a while, and this one looked interesting.

I was lucky to steal 3 workers from Portugal at the beginning and 2 more from the CS north of cap. my first scout who stole 3 workers also blocked Portugal settler to take Dublin spot - he is a founding father.

Thought about attacking England when she built tons of wonders, but I decided to play peacefully. I was shocked when I lost Porc tower, but in the end it didn't matter as I had one leftover GS. spt peaked at 1150, and after getting the Internet I didn't care about spt so it shows 1050 at the end.

Won world fair and that helped a lot. I also won international games by 100 hammers (mine was about 1350) and that saved about 5 turns.

Ending screenshot below. One faith GM, and one natural GM for each of top 2 culture civs.

Spoiler :

Date submitted: 2014-09-20 17:05:24
Reference number: 31707
Your name: beto_java
Game date: 1966AD
Turns played: 387
Base score: 1152
Final score: 1152
Time played: 6:19:00
Submitted save: final_Boudicca_0386 AD-1966.Civ5Save
Renamed file: beto_java_C509301.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2014-09-23 06:06:11
Reference number: 31719
Your name: bc1
Game date: 1575AD
Turns played: 225
Base score: 1322
Final score: 2937
Time played: 9:08:00
Submitted save: AutoSave_0225 AD-1575.Civ5Save
Renamed file: bc1_C509301.Civ5Save

almost messed up this one badly: forgot to take Free Thought :crazyeye: :confused: :shifty: :rolleyes: :blush: :cringe: :sad: :cry:, this slowed science quite a bit (internet only a few turns after T210)
fortunately did find the landbridge east early :cool:, so got to beat up the poor portuguese quite bad (stole all their settlers and workers, even had to delete some of them)
otherwise played peaceful, even though Liz was wonder happy (took 2 GM's to take her down)

Cheers

Went for a peaceful victory, turn 314. First time for me going Aesthetics and *music bombing* my way to victory (but very far from my first cultural victory).

- 4 city NC, build one more
- started wonderspaming after Leaning Tower
- miss-timed social policies and starting rationalism badley...
- went Freedom. Order got voted in and everybody, I mean everybody, choose that ideology.
- bubling and rational finisher for early internet (also got national visitor center up asap)
- 2 GM to Russia in the end settled it

Lots and lots in potential for doing this one a second time.
--------------
And for does who got 'On with Nature' in their religion, there is no logic reason what-so-ever to move that starting warrior in to major on-step terrain, when you can two-step several times west (you also got a scout on the way, so...). Meaning you would never see barrier reef when your Pantheon appears...

Top Bottom