TSG1 After Action Report

Could be a bit faster. For some reason I thought one harbor is quite enough for a trade route (let's look, what civilopedia says?)... and Rome was the last city I built a harbor into. Economic crisis has gone that very year.

The rest of the game was pretty straightforward.

Attachments

• TS1-T265.Civ5Save
    469.2 KB · Views: 146
I finished Domination in 1380AD with a score around 2250.

Had trouble finding civs and getting the forces there. I generally had enough happness to annex every city I took. Bismark was totally eliminated first, then Japan... each had only 2 cities, and Japan would not take peace so I had to kill completely. By then I found the other 3 civs, but very tedious moving units around, until I got Astronomy and could send them the short way... but to be honest this helped not at all since by the time I killed China after Aztec and then Persia (I left Persia 1 city, how nice of me)... the ground route got there the same time as the water route. Talk about OVERKILL on China... I had about 15 units in the area defended by a treb, a pike, an ChokoNu, and a couple warriors. Just took the capitol... too lazy to drag it out for more points.

I probably should have started my attacks earlier, but waited until I had Iron and Catas before moving on anyone, includeing the city state closest to us... why pay for icorvy when I can get it free and by doing so become allies with the guy who gives me something else?

Thanks for a fun one that gave incentive to finish. This was only my second attempt at any CivV game... first one was at Prince level and I gave up realizing it was going to take forever to take a continent-wide Japan down via amphibious assault. So far it seems a fun and challenging game. Winning doesn't seem that challengihng, but winning well sure is.

Hi there! I'm kinda new here... originally I only wanted to try playing this game, but I ended up winning in turn 122, so I decided to post it. I might be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone faster while I quickly scrolled though the thread. Me and modfanger seem to have won on the same turn, but I have slighly better score :D (I suppose it mainly depends on how many wonders did our enemies build). Anyway I was surprised so see so many late victories in a small pangaea on such low difficulty.

Spoiler :

At the beginning I decided that the map doesn't favour any kind of roman tactics, so I went with horsemen (I don't regret it). I couldn't have known that this is such a screwed up pangaea, but even on a normal map the horse travel speed and the easier access to the resource is worth more than anything the legion has to offer. I consider catapults a very weak unit, because of the tech path. If you got iron, that means, that you are very close to the longswordsman. Actually, you can get them with just a few turns later, if you bulb steel with your first GS, and you can also get medieval from metal casting. I'd rather go to war with pure longswords than half swords, half cats. And if you'd like to add the cats to the longswords you already have, then by the time you build them, you can probably start to upgrade them to trebs. Anyways Rome got unique cats, that are slightly better, but the problem is not damage, it's speed and availability. Thats for the UUs. I didn't utilize the roman construction speed bonus, because the capitol site didn't favour it. The starting settler location is a very nice, gold heavy site, but it doesn't have much production.

So, I researched sailing and calendar first to improve the capitol, then went staight to horseback riding. I built a scout, a second warrior (which turned out to be inefficient play), 3 workboats, and I was hoping to steal a worker (it would have been the first time ever I'd do that), but Budapest didn't have any, so I was forced to slowbuild one to improve happiness resources to sell them. I only met Germany at that point, and even though he didn't have lots of cash, I could make a nice gold/turn deal for a wine once I managed to get it improved. I didn't get mining till I finished horseback riding, so the forested silk stayed that way for long.

I didn't have much money, so I didn't get any maritimes, I spent all I had to get the second horses tile, and to rushbuy a horseman while building an other one during my first golden age. I attacked Germany with the 2 horses and 2 warriors, but I was forced to attack before my horses got there, because I've seen his first settler and I didn't want to deal with a second city at this point. I got his settler, but somehow managed to lose both warriors. Probably for the best... I wouldn't disband them myself, so I'd have just paid the maintenance for the rest of the game, had they survived. Anyways, Berlin was mine.

Just after that I met a Japanese scout, so I could trade for their 2 horses (now I had 6 total) and managed to get some money from him to rushbuy some of them. I explored the middle peninsula with my initial 2 horses while the rest (and a very slow great general) catched up, just to find noone there. But I met everyones scouts, so I could make some more deals. I allied Venice, and after I went to war with Japan and lost my traded horses (which I was using at that moment) I also allied with Singapore for the 4 extra horses (and maritime). From there I just steamrolled everyone with the 6 horseman and gg.

I kinda went for a wrong tech at the end. I spent 20+ turns on Compass, because I initially though that I would need trade routes eventually. I could have gotten to medieval earlier if I went with currency or civil service. Well, it's not like it delayed anything important... I guess I could have had knights right by the end if I built a library instead of a harbour and ran some scientists...

So, I didn't build any settlers, didn't build any wonders, didn't have any trade routes (except 1 harbour one by the end), only annexed 1 city, and only because I screwed up the horse management with the Japanese.

Good game! And horses need nerfing. Or something like that.

Attachments

• TS1finish.Civ5Save
    429.1 KB · Views: 155
I have put together a list of submissions for this game here. As I have been slow in producing the list, I thought I should include late arrivals in the table, so everyone up to and including Damoklesz is in there.

We had after action reports from a hundred players, most of whom provided a save of some kind that allowed us to verify their results. The data is displayed in two tables, with the second one containing reports with no saves, or with saves that were made before the victory was recorded.

The tables are displayed in increasing finish date order. For want of any better criterion, I have used the Final Score to sort equal finish dates.

Congratulations to the two stand-out players - Damoklesz and modfanger - who both completed a Domination victory in 122 turns, clear evidence of a strict focus on the simple goal of taking out four AI capitals.

I usually rely on a gang of scripted slaves and a heavy whip to compile the results of GOTM competitions, so please let me know if these manually cranked results contain any errors or omissions.

Forgot to submit the replay file together with the save.
Please find it in attachment

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar_0315 AD-1890_0.Civ5Replay
    84.4 KB · Views: 145
Turn 127 - AD 300 - Domination - 1300 score

Could have probably cut off at least 10 turned if I had cut my corners and upgraded my units better and found and killed the civs in the right order instead of having to double back at the end for Persia. Also got into a unit battle with Monty which set me back having to heal my units. Probably wasted some upgrades which could have been used as heals. I never used an upgrade to heal, which seems like a clear mistake in this type of game.

Attachments

• Alraun-TSG1-03.Civ5Save
    430.9 KB · Views: 147
Yay! My first CiV win!

What did I learn:
1. Kyoto is the Japanese capital...not Tokyo. I don't even think there's an Edo in the game.
2. AI doesn't even have the option to trade it's capital. Oops.
3. While I acknowledge I'm not a good player, I'm even worse when I'm tired. No more CiV after 11pm. My biggest errors were made late.
4. Tactically, the game is very similar to the last Civ game I played (Civ 2). Mounted unit rule. Terrain matter a ton, so watch where you park your units. Except it seems that artillery has more uses in the new game thanks to ranged attacks.
5. Montezuma really is nuts.
6. I need a new power supply to run a new graphics card. My nVidia 8400 GS is just not cutting it.

What I need to learn:
1. The Econ. I had cash flow issues throughout the midgame.
2. What wonders to build. Coming from the relatively gamebreaking Wonders of Civ2, these wonders just seemed less...wonderful.
3. Naval tactics. Never had a chance to use any on this game.
4. When to be more aggressive. If I hadn't take those peace treaties when I thought the AI was offering me it's capitals, I coulda been done 50+ turns sooner. If I wouldn't have waited for my army to come to me for the final push, I coulda been done another dozen turns earlier.
5. How to take better notes for these posts.
6. How to make those spoiler tags like y'all do in your posts.

What I liked.
1. When I finally connected my homelands to Japan, China, and Mexico via road. I think I started making like 100-150 more gold a turn once that happened. I felt more of a sense off accomplishment completing that cross-continental road through Allies I worked hard to maintain than taking out the AI militarily.
2. That taking the capitals was enough. I hated having to run down every random settlement for a conquest victory in Civ 2. This seemed less frustrating.
3. Hexes.
4. Strategic Resources. All you cIV vets are used to them, but this is really my first time with them. I like how they both limit you, and give you a reason to go after them.
5. Upgrading units. Again, y'all are used to that, but I'm used to 2 versions of a unit: regular and veteran. This was fun to play with.
6. No more transport boats.
7. City State quests.

What I didn't like:
1. Pathing issues.
2. The speccing in lieu of governments.
3. Not being able to see what the Puppetted cities were up to.
4. Trying to figure out what exactly the AI wanted at the diplomacy screen. I really missed Gal Civ 2's interface.
5. No high council meeting breaks. I'd forget they were there for eons.

Attachments

• TGOTM1Civ5.Civ5Save
    527.4 KB · Views: 139
I know it's kinda late, but here it is anyway. Not sure I'll bother with the next one, but I'll be on time for #3 with any luck.

edit: dammit! just noticed I would have won this if i wasn't late - 11 turns quicker and score over 3k :/

Attachments

• Turn 111.Civ5Save
    460.2 KB · Views: 151
I never used an upgrade to heal, which seems like a clear mistake in this type of game.

I upgraded 1 or 2 to medic against barbs en route to targets, then used ALL promos to heal, saving them for appropriate times. Horsemen are OP, and on a map this small, with the objective given, they are by far the best choice imo.

Could be a bit faster. For some reason I thought one harbor is quite enough for a trade route (let's look, what civilopedia says?)... and Rome was the last city I built a harbor into. Economic crisis has gone that very year.
Yes, the info on harbors is wrong. You need one on each landmass.

Too easy... I bascially just built 2 warrs, 3 archers and then horsies and killed all enemies one after one.

Kinda boring strategy though. Took some time to navigate all hills

I actually played this through partially a couple times before i pushed beyond Monty, not because losses were imminent but because I'm an extremely rusty noob, and was more interested in a learning experience about the best openings for building a military and a good support economy, than being eligible for the contest. It took me longer to bang through Darius and his pesky immortals than i would have liked, and i lost more units than i should have before I settled into a modified "4 horsemen" strategy, with the addition of a few swords hanging in the back to skewer the occasional pikeman. I also had a few hanger-on donated units from time to time, but they didn't actually amount to much in the end. Once I made that change, I mopped up china AND japan in about 20 turns or so. This was my first game where i took detailed turn-by-turn notes, and I learned as much from that as from the game proper.

I had mild gold and happiness issues in the midgame, but nothing spamming trading posts and then some happy buildings and wonders couldn't easily solve. I almost exclusively puppeted cities, though I might try razing the weaker ones on my next domination try, as i only ever annexed a couple. I may have been playing more conservative with my smileys than I needed to, and am glad the patch will make annexing's happy effects more transparent. I've been working through the difficulty levels gradually, and this was the first one I felt even mildly challenged on, though frankly I think I could handle higher without too much fuss. Seeing I was in the middle of the pack score-wise was also an ego boost, because I haven't played any civ game in a good 3 years, and was never exactly skilled even then.

My impressions: 1 UPT and the hexes are awesome and honestly agree with me more than Stacks of Doom ever did. It also looks like the upcoming patch will solve a lot of my current quibbles with the AI and GUI, as well as the research agreement bug (which I triggered once by accident, once...less by accident, but I was declaring on my last AI and the conclusion was already forgone). I'm looking forward to starting the next GOTM tomorrow, as i haven't tried a space win yet and it should be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• TS1, WIN 207, 1470.Civ5Save
    477.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Augustus Caesar_0207 AD-1470_3.Civ5Replay
    47.5 KB · Views: 133
Just blundered on and on with game not realy getting anywhere. Empire was so big that happiness required big construction effort. Couldn't seem to stop cities growing when given food from City States. Paying off four and more City States was a huge expense. I was trying to avoid war with them.

Decided to take out capitals and found it rediculously easy. I was ahead in tech and they were mostly undefended. Little or no bombardment required. Undefended. Two turns with two/three units. Far easier to take cities than in CivIV. What made rolling up the oposition was inheriting the land footprint of the defeated city straight away. In CivIV the progress from one tile to nine and then 22 for your city left you exposed and needing to have a city garrison. With CivV once the AI is on the back foot, a few troops can make steady progress.

I don't like that Help has so little or nothing about agreements that AI wants i.e. secrecy pacts. What are they? What can they achieve? No idea how to play diplomacy. Couldn't make sense of trades etc. Gave stuff away to "Hostiles" and they weren't discernably greatful. The pace of construction was so slowwww. Every building costs, but I couldn't work out whether the benefit of construction outweighed the maintenance charge. What does the trade network cost? It seemed that once I had built a linking road the maintenance cost was exceeded by the trade. But how? Do I pay for every road I build or only the bits in my territory?

I would have hoped to enjoy the game more than I did.

Attachments

• Rome Win.Civ5Save
    585.2 KB · Views: 144
1832 AD – Turn 286 – Score 3649

A few notes:
I enjoyed the bottlenecks! Good map!
Never built a single legion or ballista.
Played the entire game in strategic view.
Multiplayer conflict has the potential to be very interesting.
Looking forward to more GTMs! I'll try to write up actual reports as I play in the future.
Thanks!

Attachments

• TS1-won.Civ5Save
    582.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Augustus Caesar_0286 AD-1832_1.Civ5Replay
    65.9 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom