Do you find that you can predict what's going to happen in your games?

Question

King
Here's one : Rome declares war on me. I raze his cities and am about to take his capital, except carthage has a large number of units on my border and is asking me to go to war with Siam. I took this to mean she would declare war on me if i refused, so i said yes. I couldn't take rome's capital in time so i just did a peace deal.

Then i look at Siam and...its full of forests and hills, and there's no way i can take that place without dynamite. And the AI is too stupid to conclude a peacedeal unless you are close to taking a city, or fighting multiple civs.

I stopped playing because i knew i was going to have to end up turtling for 200+ turns to dynamite to make any progress...

Does this happen to anyone else?

This sort of thing happens from time to time. I'm assuming that since you can't currently hurt Siam, they can't hurt you.

Just finish your business with Rome, and do nothing with respect to Siam. Wait about 12-15 turns, then sign a separate peace with Siam.

Just because you DoW a civ doesn't mean you actually HAVE to war with them.

I had a 250 turn war with Isabella and never saw one unit, if she wanted to bust me up I was gonna make her come to me.

Once Napolean DoW'ed me and I never saw a single French unit, he just kept spamming me insane treaties every round.

Like Peace treaty... you give me everything you have except your Capital and I will back off.

Freaking weird.

After refusing 12 times I accidentally clicked accept and face palmed so hard.

Lost 8 turns going to the last autosave to correct it.

So, I'd say give them at least a "give us 10 rounds to prepare" AND finish your business in Rome.

After refusing 12 times I accidentally clicked accept and face palmed so hard.

Lost 8 turns going to the last autosave to correct it.

Yeah...I accidently clicked "Accept" on one recent game and gave back a significant city I had taken from the runaway civ neighbour (Persia)....although he was ahead a bit in techs, I did have plenty of Artillery and several of his big cities were within reasonable striking distance.... I was trying to slow him down as much as I could and I was being quite effective.... And then the accidental click...it basically took the wind out of my sails and so I retired ...:sad:

I had been expecting him to try to recapture his city and my plan was that as soon as he DOW'd again, I would sell/give the city to one of his erstwhile "buddies" from another continent just to confuse things a bit for him...but alas!!

I guess they need one of those "confirmation" screens...or maybe a "reconsider" button just a point you realize you've goofed....:)

Why turtle up just becuase 1 civ doesn't like you. Build a strike force and go round them, pick off some units here and there and once they are weak enough they will go for peace. Or build up your army to intimidate them to sue for peace. Just because everything isn't 100% in your favour doesn't mean it's a lost cause, be creative and find a way to get around what is holding you back.

I played a huge map with isabella declaring war on me in the early game. She didn't make peace with me until there were only like 20 turns left in the game. Having her on my border and no way to get around her (and I was 2nd last in tech since she stiffled me in the early game) I had unmet civs until I got to satelites on a pangea map. I won by the hair on my chin, the AI had all but the last piece of the space ship made but I somehow was able to get the last one made before they did and won by a few turns at best. Long game but extremely satisfying.

I play a lot of starts. And I play a lot of starts as France. Many times you will get a certain set of opponents when you play a lot as one civ. For example, China and Greece may sometimes appear.

So I was playing a game as France and my starting terrain was all tan, plains and stuff. I thought to myself: Alex is here, I know it. I hit end turn and the very next thing you know he comes riding up in the welcome screen!

I immediately quit the game.

By T180 - are you in Industrial? If no, are you well-prepared with an entire continent under control?

How is science bpt; 100+, 200+ or... below 100?

If no and below 100 bpt, then this is a One More Turn game at best.

No offense to the topic but you didn't predict anything happening in your game. Them asking you to declare war usually means that they aren't targeting you. I always say no to those and have never had the AI attack me a few turns later.

And why would you stop playing? Just don't actively go after Siam. Since they are in another war they will probably offer peace anyway. If they don't, who cares? They will likely not send a single unit your way due to the forests/jungles and having another war to deal with.

The OP's situation has never happened to me.

By the Renaissance I usually know that I'm going to win - I just have to pick a victory condition at that point and follow through on it.

I secretly hope that whenever an AI DoW another one in the later game that they will go on the rampage and become a contender for victory. Unfortunately, watching two AI's duke it out is like watching two drunks with knives stumble over their own feet rather than hacking at each other. The AI's never become a threat in the late game.

In my current Immortal game, I spawned near the huns.
Around turn 50, I try to sell him a lux for 240g and he refuses. Since he is still friendly, I feel something is amiss, so I send a scout near his capital.
Of course, I see them coming for me and that gave me ten turns to prepare and produce/buy 3 more archers and switch research to construction.
That was enough to anihilate his ram & warrior attack, and after upgrading to CB, I rushed his capital.

The Diplomacy Victory is way too easy to achieve. All you really have to do is play defense and never go to war with anyone while you maintain your declaration of friendship with everyone.

It is usually the last resort route to take if I don't think I can win in the other victory objective.

Yeah...I accidently clicked "Accept" on one recent game and gave back a significant city I had taken from the runaway civ neighbour (Persia)....although he was ahead a bit in techs, I did have plenty of Artillery and several of his big cities were within reasonable striking distance.... I was trying to slow him down as much as I could and I was being quite effective.... And then the accidental click...it basically took the wind out of my sails and so I retired ...:sad:

I had been expecting him to try to recapture his city and my plan was that as soon as he DOW'd again, I would sell/give the city to one of his erstwhile "buddies" from another continent just to confuse things a bit for him...but alas!!

I guess they need one of those "confirmation" screens...or maybe a "reconsider" button just a point you realize you've goofed....:)

Simple solution I always use- set game to autosave every turn, and save last 20 autosaves. When you accidentally do something stupid and click on the wrong button, it's silly to retire and waste hours of game time when you can just reload the turn.

The Diplomacy Victory is way too easy to achieve. All you really have to do is play defense and never go to war with anyone while you maintain your declaration of friendship with everyone.

It is usually the last resort route to take if I don't think I can win in the other victory objective.

Hmmm... that has not been my experience. I'm accustomed to one AI civ (pick your favorite- Greece, Austria, whomever) gobbling up city-state after city-state in alliances, and making the diplomatic victory a foregone conclusion for them.

Short of 100,000 gold, it's really hard to buy them back to where they would vote for me.

No offense to the topic but you didn't predict anything happening in your game. Them asking you to declare war usually means that they aren't targeting you. I always say no to those and have never had the AI attack me a few turns later.

And why would you stop playing? Just don't actively go after Siam. Since they are in another war they will probably offer peace anyway. If they don't, who cares? They will likely not send a single unit your way due to the forests/jungles and having another war to deal with.

I do it all the time out of pure rage. I spend hours working towards something and then make a single mistake and ruin it all. I wouldn't do it normally, just out of frustration and self loathing.

I mean i know exactly how that war is going to pan out (i turtle to dynamite while siam does nothing and carthage is ineffective). Then i win.

Top Bottom