SCENARIO: American Civil War - C3C only

I had been wanting to play this scenario for a while but I had never got round to it. It intrigues me how the newly independent USA descended into a bloody civil war only 90 years since throwing off the yoke off British rule. I have just finished playing as the CSA. The South may have seemed to have a legal right to secede from the Union but the reasons for doing so were suspect. While sympathising with the Union cause I wanted a challenge so I assumed the role of Jefferson Davis and threw in my lot with the Confederacy.

I was aware that over time the industrial and numerical superiority of the Union would slowly bear down and strangle the Confederacy so I adopted a strategy whereby I could cause some quick but fatal blows right at the beginning. In the East I had my Army of Virginia which I threw all my other units in with and sent them straight to Washington to deliver my first blow. In the West I began to bring together my rifle divisons and various over units and garrisons pulled out from the far flung forts and outposts in the west and Texas. Some forts I simply abandoned not wishing them to fall in Union hands. This would take some time but my objective for the army of the west would be St. Louis. It’s another big Northern city within close striking distance. I hoped to take it out and keep moving the army of the west into Union territory and wreak as much havoc as possible before I believed it would eventually be destroyed.

Back to the Eastern theatre and the Army of Virginia was in place to smash Washington, I bombarded it with all my artillery and then threw everything I had at the Northern capital. Sadly it was the Army of Virginia that got smashed, half my units were completely taken out while the other half were left wounded and in danger of being completely annihilated during the next move. Thankfully I managed to do enough damage to the Union to stop them from making any immediate counter attack and pulled my decimated army back over the border to recuperate.

Things fared better in the west, I had got most my army of the west in place and I began to move it for St. Louis. Resistance proved to be much less stiff and I carried the place with limited casualties.

Half the plan had worked but I needed to work out a new strategy given the disaster at Washington. I decided to adopt a defensive strategy everywhere except concerning my army of the west. Especially, at the beginning of the game, the South’s units are superior in power, notably in defensive power. I would maximise my only strength and try to lure the expected Union counter attack to defensible cities and fortified positions. The army of the West would carry out the original plan and try to carry out a trail of destruction. I wanted to use it to cause as much damage as possible to the Union in order to even the disparity in population and economic power. Attila the Hun would have been proud. If at any point the Union chose to send a force to intercept the army of the west, I would keep it in a captured city, fortify and fight on the defensive.

As expected the beast had begun to stir and Union forces were seen rolling over the border in the East in superior numbers. Their counter attack was underway, I abandoned all my small towns on that section of the border not having enough force to defend them. I destroyed them not wanted them to fall into the hands or the benefit of the Union. This left a large scar between our empires, something of a no mans land. I held most of my force in Fredericksburg and Gordonville both with in easy distance of Richmond to fall back to if necessary. The North threw all their cavalry units and rifle divisions against me, I frantically moved my artillery around to soften up new targets as they became threats. The Army of Virginia held off multiple assaults at Fredericksburg so the Union cut around with their cavalry and headed for Richmond after some desperate battles with newly built riflemen and pounding from my artillery I held them at bay. I temporarily lost Lynchburg but recaptured it and gradually the Union assault petered out.

Out in the west and the army of the west had raised St. Louis to the ground and had moved north against Springfield, Springfield was occupied and raised also. The army of the West moved north again, this time taking Peoria and now threatening Chicago.

I was surprised at this point that the Union hadn’t seemed to perceive the danger in the west. No force was sent against my army and there seem no sign of one coming. As long as they left me alone I would keep going. Chicago would be my next objective. Surely they wouldn’t let Chicago suffer the same fate as St. Louis. Against all expectations no force appeared to check my movements and the army of the west entered Chicago with limited resistance.

Back in the East and more union forces were sent against the army of Virginia. I had become quite organised in my defence by now and each time the North failed to make a breakthrough. They would need a new plan. It wasn’t long before their forces had ceased threatening Richmond and I was aware that a new storm was brewing. All was quiet along the border while I contemplated my next move with the army of the west.

I decided to hit Detroit, being an Englishman my geography of America is far from perfect and while I knew it would be a logical next target I wasn’t quite sure where the hell it was. The whole of the North at this point was shaded in black as I hadn’t invented cartography or something like that. I knew that at that time a Southern general would have at least had some idea where certain cites were (or could at least threaten a local into telling him) so after consulting my general we decided to look at a map of Illinois and Michigan on the internet. Was this justified or just outright cheating? We didn’t care, we just had to find Detroit.

It wasn’t long before a massive Union army was seen descending right over the middle of the border. There were 3 armies, each with rifle divisions ranging from 6-7 divisions and 4 cavalry units. There were roughly around thirty units in total. Things were looking bleak, at the time I only had about 3 rifle divisions and a handful of rifleman and cavalry to check them. My army of the west were way up in the North and couldn’t be of any use at this point so I left them to continue with their cleansing.

It wasn’t long before I was quickly stretched and Union forces captured Nashville and Columbia. Any other towns they didn’t get to quick enough I destroyed and abandoned. Soon they were pressing down hard on Chattanooga, Knoxville and Bristol. I was spending all the gold I had on new rifle men and a few more rifle divisions. Chattanooga was then threatened so I threw my rifle divisions into the city and the Union attacked. They suffered terrible casualties while all my divisions were left intact. After this they reinforced themselves but became less inclined to simply attack where and when they felt and began to employ a strategy of drawing me out of my defences. With more reinforcements sent from the East it became a war of manoeuvre. For about 20/25 turns the three Union armies would find new targets and go to them, at which point I would try to get as many units into them as possible and await an attack. Then, realising it would be too strong to assault the Union armies would turn and find another target and I would then have to manoeuvre my forces to meet the new threat. This went on for a while until at a certain point I found myself cut off from moving on the roads and Rome was left with a medium size garrison. One of the Union armies attacked Rome, I thought it would be the beginning of the end, I thought I had been out manoeuvred but they were smashed, they had one division left after the attack, I countered and took it out. I breathed a sigh of relief but there were still two more armies probing.

Going up north now and the army of the west had found Detroit and captured it. I hoped after this that the North might pull some of their armies out of the South and put an end to all the destruction begin caused in their rear. I destroyed Detroit and moved on, we hit and destroyed Toledo, Sandusky, Cleveland and finally captured Akron. The damage must have taken it’s toll and finally the Union began to pull reinforcements headed for the South and had them redirected at the army of the west. The timing was perfect, I definitely needed a breather down in the south. The army of the west had had a tough battle getting into Akron and my units were all wounded. Next the Union cavalry were unleashed and finally, as I predicted, the army of the west would be extinguished. Unbelievably my four divisions held out along with a rag tag of garrison troops and Missouri irregulars. The union cavalry again suffered big casualties but did manage to take out one of my rifle divisions, a few other units and leave the others on the verge of death. But their attack stopped and their beaten forces moved back to reinforce their three armies remaining in the South.

After more manoeuvring the second union army attacked me at Augusta. Again I had just enough troops to inflict massive casualties. The same happened at Atlanta. Some smaller Union units attacked Asheville and took it. Finally I counter attacked at both Atlanta and Augusta and destroyed every single Union unit. The great Union offensive was over and all they had to show for it was Asheville, an isolated town just below the border plus Nashville and Columbia. All the while I hap been working like crazy to build as many units as possible. I immediately pushed my units up towards the border and left a small force near Asheville to keep an eye on the Union troops garrisoned in the town.

Meanwhile with my army of the west recuperated we pushed on eastward carrying out my plan of destruction in the hope of evening the balance of economic and numerical power held by the union. We hit and destroyed Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, Oswego and Syracuse. I had lost about a quarter of my strength but I still had three rifle divisions and all my artillery.

By this point I had left a huge line of destruction. This would continue until I reached the Atlantic. I had brought all my units up to defend the border and was building a force to retake Asheville.

Union attacks continued down from Nashville towards Chattanooga and Knoxville but each time I was able to hold them off with rifle divisions and cavalry. Small attacks would continue out in the east towards Fredericksburg but they would be repelled each time by the Army of Virginia.

The army of the west continued its move. I realised that by now the wind appeared to be leaving the Union sail. The destruction caused to their cities seemed to be making its mark. No new armies the size they had produced before came rolling over the border. It had always seemed obvious to me that they had to destroy the army of the west but they had failed. I pushed on against Utica, Albany and then Hartford. Resistance was becoming stiffer as the North were producing Springfield riflemen. I was also upgrading my own divisions to the Spencer riflemen.

Back in the South I brought a huge army together in Chattanooga and began to move it for a counterattack on Nashville. On my first attack I took the place and immediate turned and attacked Colombia. At the same time I move forces into Asheville and built a road to connect it with my other cities to enable an easy defence should it be threatened again. I had retaken most of my original territory lost apart from what I had destroyed. The army of the west was still unbeaten and the ability of the Union to mount powerful attacks was waning. I finally felt that the tide had turned and I could win this.

At this point I felt that my revised strategy had paid off. I would now defend my country and keep moving the army of the west towards the Atlantic. I entered New London, destroyed it and moved on to Providence. I was now in striking distance of Boston. I raised Providence and moved for Boston with Worcester just on my left. I could see the North throwing all their defensive units into Boston, there was no way I could take it but I had a plan b and went straight for Worcester, with most of the Union units in Boston I took the place with ease. On the next move the Union threw their cavalry at me and it looked like the second test for the army of the west had arrived, after repeated assaults I had last another division and some more irregulars but the attacks stopped. By now the army of the west was reduced to a quarter of its original strength. I couldn’t move them any further without their destruction being assured so I fortified and left them at Worcester and they played no further part.

The Union had finally halted the army of west in its tracks I had destroyed many of their cities and left a trail of destruction along the top half of their territory. By now the disparity of population between us was South 49% Union 51%. My territory was a few percent larger and I had inflicted multiple losses on the North. They threw more cavalry against me in the centre where they were cut down time after time. With 1864 drawing to a close and my country closing in on my victory point target I began to move an army from Nashville toward Louisville and the Army of Virginia toward Fort Monroe. After destroying Fort Monroe and taking Louisville it was all over. I had obtained a victory point victory, the people of the North had tired of the war that had only brought them destruction and huge losses of both their armies and civilian population, it was pointless to continue. They recognised the South’s right to secede and their right to govern their own affairs and continue the abomination of slavery.

If the North had made a stronger effort to nip the army of the west’s trail of destruction in the bud I think I would have found myself struggling. Evening the disparity in population/economic power and fighting a defensive strategy everywhere else won the day for the South in the end.

After having read some similar style posts for the Rood and Dragon scenario I felt compelled to add my own two sixpence here. I’m not 100% who was responsible for putting all their time and effort into making this scenario but my respect goes out to you. I had a lot of fun with it and will probably have another crack at it with the Union in the not too distant future.

Attachments

• end1_1_1_1.JPG
    end1_1_1_1.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 528
  • end2_2_1_1.JPG
    end2_2_1_1.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 399
  • move1.JPG
    move1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 541
Has anyone made a civil war mod where France and Britain intervene on either side?

All I can find are the BIQ files and the art files, I downloaded them put them in the conquests folder and the game crashes because the civilopedia files are not there, Did the rest of the files disappear or were they taken down? I used to have this scenario loaded but my hard drive crashed, and I could not find a copy of the files so I want to get this scenario again.

:) prof2962
The game belongs to the folder Conquests \ Scenarios so it can be played :hatsoff:
I've tried it! :crazyeye:
good game :p

Wotan49
:old:

Hi, wanting to play the scenario but when loading got Icon capitol building missing ?

If you're on a PC, did you install it in the right Program Files folder? I also know that if you're on a Mac, scenarios can sometimes just not work right.

Not sure if this thread is still monitored... I have the same issue as above. I am getting the PediaIcon.txt "ICON_BLDG_CAPITOL" error. I am playing the Steam version of this game.

Not understanding what is meant by naming the BIQ file same as the mod folder. I custom named my BIQ files, but changed the name back to what they were.

UPDATE:

Nevermind, I figured it out, but will post here so that anyone else can find this if they are having the same issue.

Extracted files found in the beginning of this OP (and it is a GREAT ONE!) need to be place in the conquests\scenarios folder NOT the conquests\conquests folder. BIQ's can be renamed (if you are OCD like me).

Not sure if this thread is still monitored... I have the same issue as above. I am getting the PediaIcon.txt "ICON_BLDG_CAPITOL" error. I am playing the Steam version of this game.

Not understanding what is meant by naming the BIQ file same as the mod folder. I custom named my BIQ files, but changed the name back to what they were.
I'm having the same problem and don't know how to fix it. The game won't load.

I unzipped the folder, and there were only four files in the resulting folder:
ACW C3C v4.7 CSA FtMonroe.biq
ACW C3C v4.7 CSA.biq
ACW C3C v4.7 Multiplayer.biq
ACW C3C v4.7 USA.biq

I'm having the same problem and don't know how to fix it. The game won't load.

I unzipped the folder, and there were only four files in the resulting folder:
ACW C3C v4.7 CSA FtMonroe.biq
ACW C3C v4.7 CSA.biq
ACW C3C v4.7 Multiplayer.biq
ACW C3C v4.7 USA.biq
Never mind, I didn't see the second file attachment in the original post. ("ACWC3C v4.7 ART Files (43mb).") It's more hidden in the text of the post. I downloaded it, incorporated it into the right directory in my computer, and can now play the Civil War scenario.

Never mind, I didn't see the second file attachment in the original post. ("ACWC3C v4.7 ART Files (43mb).") It's more hidden in the text of the post. I downloaded it, incorporated it into the right directory in my computer, and can now play the Civil War scenario.
Anyone have the ART files that they would be willing to share? The link in the first post is no longer working. When I click on it a new tab opens for less than a second and disappears. There is no download?

Anyone have the ART files that they would be willing to share? The link in the first post is no longer working. When I click on it a new tab opens for less than a second and disappears. There is no download?
The links on the first page work with a not so good browser like Microsoft Edge. Some kind of a problem with the http/ that won’t allow better browsers like Chrome to download. I’ll let one of the mods know, as they can fix that.

Moderator Action: https-ized the ACWC3C v4.7 ART Files link. It should now work in all browsers. Also restored the missing images in Post #3, thanks to the Internet Archive having a copy.

Thanks for sending me a note about this, Chalito! I missed @Moff Jerjerrod 's post back in April.

Top Bottom