Modders Guide to Civilization V

I've been wanting to add altitude to the tiles, thus making them impossible to enter if there is to high difference from the one next to it, but also to be able to create more realistic maps, is this at all possible as a mod?

I've been wanting to add altitude to the tiles, thus making them impossible to enter if there is to high difference from the one next to it, but also to be able to create more realistic maps, is this at all possible as a mod?

Gameplay-wise probably, although it would require some complicated lua at a minimum. Graphically no, you couldn't really render the terrains 'higher' or 'lower'.

Hey I recently have been working on a mod for civilization 5 that adds the airlift feature to harbors. I havnt been able to get it to work and after asking for help I recieved usfull advice but I have not been able to solve the problem.

My current XML is
<GameData>
<Buildings>
<Update>
<Where Type="BUILDING_HARBOR"/>
<Set Airlift="true"/>
</Update>
</Buildings>
</GameData>

If someone can help me correct my mistakes I would be very greatful.

I don't know if Airlift is a column or if it is, I don't know if it's even supported in the DLL, but 4 main things:
1) Here on the forums, we generally start new threads - in the main C&C forum - to ask about modding problems, not in a tutorial thread.
2) There could be SO many other problems with your mod other than just that part of your XML, so that doesn't tell us very much. (Although that XML is syntactically correct)
3) Wrap code in
Code:
 blocks; it retains the code's indentation and makes it easier to read.
4) Kael's guide does NOT cover absolutely every kind of mod you want to code; in fact, I'd say it's best used for an introduction for making a new civ.

Hey I recently have been working on a mod for civilization 5 that adds the airlift feature to harbors. I havnt been able to get it to work and after asking for help I recieved usfull advice but I have not been able to solve the problem.

My current XML is
Code:
<GameData>
	<Buildings>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="BUILDING_HARBOR"/>
			<Set Airlift="true"/>
		</Update>
	</Buildings>
</GameData>
If someone can help me correct my mistakes I would be very greatful.
The code looks OK so far as that goes. The issue(s) would be whether the game also wants the player to have the Radar tech. I was under the impression that the "Airlift" column was the only thing needed to enable instant air transport. "Airlift" is what allows the airport building to transport units between cities, but I think you need two cities each with an Airport, so you may need two cities each with a Harbor to allow unit transport between them.
[snipped], but 4 main things:
1) Here on the forums, we generally start new threads - in the main C&C forum - to ask about modding problems, not in a tutorial thread.
2) There could be SO many other problems with your mod other than just that part of your XML, so that doesn't tell us very much. (Although that XML is syntactically correct)
3) Wrap code in
Code:
 blocks; it retains the code's indentation and makes it easier to read.
4) Kael's guide does NOT cover absolutely every kind of mod you want to code; in fact, I'd say it's best used for an introduction for making a new civ.[/QUOTE]
This ! Except that I think Kael's guide is still a good intro into the theory and methods needed for CIV5 modding

The code looks OK so far as that goes. The issue(s) would be whether the game also wants the player to have the Radar tech. I was under the impression that the "Airlift" column was the only thing needed to enable instant air transport. "Airlift" is what allows the airport building to transport units between cities, but I think you need two cities each with an Airport, so you may need two cities each with a Harbor to allow unit transport between them.

This ! Except that I think Kael's guide is still a good intro into the theory and methods needed for CIV5 modding

thanks for looking at the problem again. I am currently stumped on how to fix the mod. I havge played test games as carthage so I know that even with two harbors it does not work but perhaps the radar tech required is I will look into it. Again thank you for the help on the issue I have plans for the summer with more ambitious mods so I can use all the help I can get.

Is there a good tutorial on modding FX triggers? Is there any info on how to write .ftsxml files.

Even some examples of what is in these files would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

@Novu: Not really...

However, this isn't really the right thread. Start a new one in the main Creation & Customization subforum, and tell us what you're trying to do.

Does anyone know of any video tutorial of how to add a custom civ to the game through modding? The tutorial in the guide was good but having a video one could help me out a lot.

I'm trying to edit happiness and unhappiness values of buildings, resources and globaldefines. For example my globaldefines.xml is like this:

<Row Name="UNHAPPINESS_PER_POPULATION">
<Update>
<Where Name="UNHAPPINESS_PER_POPULATION"/>
<Set>
<Value>0</Value>
</Set>
</Update>
</Row>

But it doesn't work. Also changes in buildings.xml and resources.xml don't work too.

I'm trying to edit happiness and unhappiness values of buildings, resources and globaldefines. For example my globaldefines.xml is like this:

<Row Name="UNHAPPINESS_PER_POPULATION">
<Update>
<Set>
<Value>0</Value>
</Set>
</Update>
</Row>

But it doesn't work. Also changes in buildings.xml and resources.xml don't work too.

Are you attempting to make a mod, or are you directly editing the game's original files?

Are you attempting to make a mod, or are you directly editing the game's original files?

Not trying to make new mod. Just trying to edit original files in assets/gameplay/xml folder

I also tried the way as in your buildings.xml guide and wrote:

<GameData>
<Defines>
<Update>
<Set Value = "0"/>
</Update>
</Defines>
</GameData>

But didn't work either. Still early values apply in my loaded game. Should I start new game or it doesn't matter?

Top Bottom