Modders Guide to Civilization V

Added a disclaimer to the first post. Rather than PMing me with questions, please post them publically. Other people in the community are probably wondering the same thing and I can't keep up with all the requests.

Kael, or whoever...I'm trying to set up a huge world (Earth) map, loading the pre-save huge world map that shipped with the game. I can't see how to SCROLL the map so that I can move it around. I'm looking for a mechanism similar to the hand tool or navigator window of photoshop. Am I just dumb? What do I do?

Wow, I just do not understand LUA yet. I had two classes at UT on C++. That doesn't worry me but this LUA looks like voodoo to me. Any chance there is a more basic tutorial I can read? I read through your "adding a new screen" tutorial and was lost.

Any additional trouble you could say you had in the "New Civilization" chapter? My civilization appears in the list to choose from if I use existing leaders, but if I try to create a new leader it does not work. I've checked to make sure it's adding itself to the database.

Wow, I just do not understand LUA yet. I had two classes at UT on C++. That doesn't worry me but this LUA looks like voodoo to me. Any chance there is a more basic tutorial I can read? I read through your "adding a new screen" tutorial and was lost.

Read lots of Firaxis's Lua files. That's how I did it. Alcohol may also help.

Adding a new screen is probably the most advanced function in the modders guide. It took me a lot of time before I could do that (and many failed attempts) so don't feel bad. Start smaller (the simple clock example in InGameUIAddin is a good starter example) and it may make more sense. The marriage of Lua and XML is mind boggling at first, but it is pretty cool once you get over the hump.

Any additional trouble you could say you had in the "New Civilization" chapter? My civilization appears in the list to choose from if I use existing leaders, but if I try to create a new leader it does not work. I've checked to make sure it's adding itself to the database.

Check your database.log file and see if you are getting any errors, especially those that pertain to your leader.

Kael, or whoever...I'm trying to set up a huge world (Earth) map, loading the pre-save huge world map that shipped with the game. I can't see how to SCROLL the map so that I can move it around. I'm looking for a mechanism similar to the hand tool or navigator window of photoshop. Am I just dumb? What do I do?

Hold the right mouse button down and move the mouse. Or the arrow keys. :)

Is there an equivalent c++ "source code for the core DLL" you mention in your guide for Civ IV that we can modify for Civ V?

The way i've been reading is the source code is not coming out for several months if it follows suit with how they did things with Civ 4.

I just wanted to mention that there's also an XML reference on the modiki. It's not as complete as the civ4 one (it doesn't yet have detailed descriptions for what every tag does) but nearly every schema table is there.

Link to that? I would love to read it. Did a google search and didn't come up with anything.

Hi, I just started on Lua too and this site: http://luatut.com helped me a lot to understand the most of it. The rest I hope to come with the practice.

Do you know why, exactly, our icons look like crap ingame? Your "flag" circle thing and Boudica circle thing is missing chunks and all pixlely like mine.

Is there a guide/tutorial for Nexus? I clicked on it to look at it and I keep getting an error message, then it says it's "Unable to launch asset '-Nexus 4320'. Check path location." Any ideas?

You know what... This is what I have been doing wrong. And Dale has mentioned it several times to me and I'm just like; but, but but... :sad:

So in ModBuddy I created too folders, one for XML and another folder inside of it called Units. I would right click the Units folder and select "Add-> Existing Item", I would then browse to the Civ5Units.xml file. All in its glory hole it displays the information I need ot edit. Even if I edited a section correctly using <update> tags and what not, it would not load for me. So I just deleted it and instead of choosing Existing file, I choose "New Item" and sure enough it works.

And I had the wrong file path in the Actions tab of the mod properties; Set is of course OnModActivated, Type is UpdateDatabase, and the FileName is: what your mod tree structure is. In my example XML/Units/UnitTweaks.xml.

Well ok, now were getting somewhere. Thanx again Kael and Dale.

You know what... This is what I have been doing wrong. And Dale has mentioned it several times to me and I'm just like; but, but but... :sad:

So in ModBuddy I created too folders, one for XML and another folder inside of it called Units. I would right click the Units folder and select "Add-> Existing Item", I would then browse to the Civ5Units.xml file. All in its glory hole it displays the information I need ot edit. Even if I edited a section correctly using <update> tags and what not, it would not load for me. So I just deleted it and instead of choosing Existing file, I choose "New Item" and sure enough it works.

And I had the wrong file path in the Actions tab of the mod properties; Set is of course OnModActivated, Type is UpdateDatabase, and the FileName is: what your mod tree structure is. In my example XML/Units/UnitTweaks.xml.

Well ok, now were getting somewhere. Thanx again Kael and Dale.

We're here to help. :)

Thanks for the guide, Kael. My main question, not covered there, is this-
How do you make your own animated leader graphics?

Top Bottom