Modders Guide to Civilization V

Hiya all,
im kinda new to modding but not new to programming ;-) I though after several years of silence and admiration of Kael's work i should give modding a shot myself.

I thought lets start small to figure out how it all works, so i made a new Mod, with 3 xml files in the /XML/ directory of my mod in the SDK.

They slighty change how buildings work considering resources and improvements.

All i wanted to to first was fix several bugs that civ5 has (e.g. the lighthouse does NOT give +1 food on all water tiles)

In the properties i checked [x] reload Landmark System cause the "improved yields" mod had that checked too.

Then after some time i press "Build Mod". The mod gets generated without any errors and is in the MODs folder. But if i load it ingame and start a new game, nothing has changed.

I'm pretty sure most of the changes work cause before the SDK came out i made the same changes to the civ5 files (i know its hacks... but i couldnt wait), and there it worked.

I also have several questions about modding but i dont want to bloat this post any further and probably ask them elsewhere.

Anyway... i cant get this mod to work. The logs throw no errors, ingame nothing changes (not even the civpedia entries which should be quite ... simple).

FIY: I also added 3x OnModLoaded -> UpdateDatabase -> abc.xml for each of the XMLs to the Actions Tab
(here i wonder if it shouldnt be "updateDatabase?" oh well i will try).

Cheers for your help in advance
Kyoss

for the last three hours i tried to get my renamed civ to work, did everything step-by-step as in the guide, it did not work....
long story short: what was the prob?
in one 'row' i typed <ROW> instead of <Row> :mischief:

thats why copy-paste was invented :lol::lol: but u have to know this first^^

nope, nothing....
and i tested it afterwards again with <ROW> just to see if i had missed smthg else, but apparently it was this little mistake

can anyone pls post a rar with the wolrdbuilder, the modbuddy, Nexus and the Tuner???

PLEASEEE!!!????

THANXX!!

Thank you very much for this excellent guide, Kael.
I think it is a "must have read" for everyone who wants to start modding Civ5.

That's part of why I started translating it into German (Thread in the German Civilization-forum civforum.de), I hope me doing this is okay.

I have no problem with that as long as you keep my author credit. Please let me know when you complete your translation, I would like to provide a link to it.

I have no problem with that as long as you keep my author credit. Please let me know when you complete your translation, I would like to provide a link to it.
Thank you.
I will write another post here as soon as the translation is completed.

I've added a game pace, and was pretty frustrated when it wasn't showing up in game. As it turns out, when you try to select a newly created gamepace in the "top" game setup screen, it will not show in the popup box. However, it does show in the drop down box for "game pace" when you go into the advanced game setup.

I'd assume someone was sloppy when designing the "top" game setup UI.

Is is possible to update text references? I'm trying:

<Processes>
<Update>
<Set Help="TXT_KEY_PROCESS_WEALTH_HELP_LITCUBE"/>
<Where Type="PROCESS_WEALTH"/>
</Update>
</Processes>

To rewrite the text blurb for this wealth generation to say "50%" instead of "10%". The code change:

<Process_ProductionYields>
<Update>
<Set Yield="50"/>
<Where ProcessType="PROCESS_WEALTH" YieldType="YIELD_GOLD"/>
</Update>
</Process_ProductionYields>

Works just fine. But the text isn't changing.

Is is possible to update text references? I'm trying:

<Processes>
<Update>
<Set Help="TXT_KEY_PROCESS_WEALTH_HELP_LITCUBE"/>
<Where Type="PROCESS_WEALTH"/>
</Update>
</Processes>

To rewrite the text blurb for this wealth generation to say "50%" instead of "10%". The code change:

<Update>
<Set Yield="50"/>
<Where ProcessType="PROCESS_WEALTH" YieldType="YIELD_GOLD"/>
</Update>

Works just fine. But the text isn't changing.

Yes, and I've done just that (grant, 25%, not 50)

Code:
<GameData>
		<Update>
			<Set Yield="25" />
			<Where ProcessType="PROCESS_WEALTH" />
		</Update>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Update>
			<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_PROCESS_WEALTH_HELP" />
			<Set Text="[COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]Wealth[ENDCOLOR] converts 25% of the [ICON_PRODUCTION] Production of this City into [ICON_GOLD] Gold." />
		</Update>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

Yes, and I've done just that (grant, 25%, not 50)

Code:
<GameData>
		<Update>
			<Set Yield="25" />
			<Where ProcessType="PROCESS_WEALTH" />
		</Update>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Update>
			<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_PROCESS_WEALTH_HELP" />
			<Set Text="[COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]Wealth[ENDCOLOR] converts 25% of the [ICON_PRODUCTION] Production of this City into [ICON_GOLD] Gold." />
		</Update>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

Did you have any time to check to see if there's any quick things you can see on my stuff?

I'm trying to get some UI mods going, but I can't even seem to get the basics of that clock example working. Would you mind posting a completed version of a mod that just does that so I can see what I'm doing wrong in the setup?

There aren't any errors in the logs as far as I can tell. :-(

Hi Kael,
Thanks for this great guide

I'm trying to add some icons to my freshly new added corsican civilization

I'm able to get an icon on the atlas but ,when i load the mod,

i see a black circle instead of the pic i used

I think it does matter with alpha channel but i don't know wich parameter must be changed so if you can tell me what to do,that would be kind

Thanks

Attachments

• corse_icon256.7z
    12.7 KB · Views: 304
Possibly I am ******ed, but I have read this guide over and over again, I've wasted the entire day trying and I just can not get anything to work. I'd really like to get into modding but my frustration level is at the boiling point and I'm about ready to just forget Civ 5 exists until RoM or some other great mod is working for Civ 5.

I had no problems editing Civ 5 files to be what I want but as Kael says in his guide, it will just get erased next patch. At this point, I'm just gonna keep Civ 5 backed up and edit the game to be what I want and then replace it when a patch comes out then reinsert my variables. Mainly I edited unit stats a bit (longer range for planes, gave helicopters all terrain = 1 move so they cant use roads, increased modern ship power so a frigate/ironclad cant scratch them as it should be, tweaked a few buildings/wonders etc, made cow/deer actually worth it, and made min space between cities 3) It all works when I edit the files in Civs main folder but I just cannot get even the most basic mod like giving a worker 3 movement to work.

I have too many questions to even list... I'll start like this. I don't care about adding a new civ, or leader, or art, at least not yet. I just want to get something to work. Can someone please give an idiots guide to say.. changing the combat number and movement points of a unit, and have it actually work in the mod.. and I'm talking like so easy a caveman can do it guide, like step 1, open modbuddy, step 2 press this step 3 press that. I mean, I copy and pasted other peoples mods to just to get it to work and it STILL doesn't work.. so yeah need help, please.

Top Bottom