Which good players are switching to Beyond Earth?

I won't be buying this game for at least a year after release. I didn't buy Civ 5 until 2 years later. And it's not because I don't want to. I've learned by some hard lessons.

Reasons:
1. Preorders are a conn and they are making things worse for the buyer. The game will probably be half done and not ready for release. In fact preorders are encouraging terrible business practises, especially when combined with Steam.
2. Steam. I don't like it- hard to get refunds.
3. I learnt my mistake with games like Rome 2 (I had to wait a year for that to even begin to get good and it might never have).

The old saying `The best things comes to he who waits` really applies to games these days. It's a good saying to go by.

I won't be buying this game for at least a year after release. I didn't buy Civ 5 until 2 years later. And it's not because I don't want to. I've learned by some hard lessons.

Reasons:
1. Preorders are a conn and they are making things worse for the buyer. The game will probably be half done and not ready for release. In fact preorders are encouraging terrible business practises, especially when combined with Steam.
2. Steam. I don't like it- hard to get refunds.
3. I learnt my mistake with games like Rome 2 (I had to wait a year for that to even begin to get good and it might never have).

The old saying `The best things comes to he who waits` really applies to games these days. It's a good saying to go by.

I'd agree with #1, which really is the driving force of your argument, except for the fact that BE is so strongly based on the Civ 5 engine.

I don't know ... a fully-modded Civ V, with 150+ civs, maps, gameplay options, UI mods, etc. to choose from is really hard to beat. Don't get me wrong: Beyond Earth looks interesting, I just don't expect it to pull me away from Civ V completely. Then there's AoW3 (with newly patched AI/diplomacy) and the final release of Endless Legend. BE will fill a certain niche--and scratch a certain itch--but I doubt it will take over as my "go to" game.

I'm definitely going to give it a try. I don't see me "Switching" to CivBE on a permanent basis. But I predict that my Civ5 time will go down quite a bit.

Even if CivBE is a disappoint at release. It will be interesting to be part of the "Beta test phase 2" :lol:

Civ BE is not for me.

1. I'm interested in hisory - sci -fi has no hold on me

but the main reason for passing on it is that it is Steam based. CiV was the first, only and last game I will ever buy on Steam or other like service.

In this part of the world, if I buy a physical copy of a music album, software, or a game, I legally own it. If I legally own it, I can copy it (for my own use), re-sell it, give it away - it's mine.

No conditions of sale claiming to be a licence can take that legal right way. Steam tries to through the way their service works. No one is going to take them to court over a €50 game to get them to conform to European law, so the only option I have is to deny them my business. I wish more people in Europe would do the same.

I am pretty hyped up about the game. Back in the day, I loved Alpha Centauri, so I'm guessing Beyond Earth will be similar. Even if it's not, I'm sure it will be good. I probably wont completely switch to it though, it will most likely be divided equally upon civ and this new franchise.

Reasons:

Totally agree with this also. I feel I've been conned in the past with pre-orders so now I just wait to have a look at the final product and reviews etc.
If I'm going to invest say 200 hours of my time in a game, why would I want to put that much time into say Civ 5 Vanilla which was awful when I can wait until BNW and get much more out of my time then when the game is finally working as intended...

The screenshots & features of BE look interesting but honestly it does look like a big reskinned mod of Civ 5 and much of the information on the website looks like Marketing hype... OOOO look there's new tech trees, diplomacy, city building, resources.......:rolleyes:

Anyway I don't want to sound cynical, we'll see what the final thing looks like. On a brighter note it does look like they are trying to get away from the 1-size fits all approach to BNW which is to beeline Civil Service and build the NC.
Technological research seems like it offers a lot more diversity in the strategy so I think this is a good thing and hopefully it is a model that can influence Civ 6 (so technology may not always look so linear for every Civ)....

I plan on getting it shortly after release, but the game would have to be awesome for me to stop playing civ5 all together.

Sticking to Civ V.

I want to say that I will be picking up a copy of BE and we will see... However, I can't say that because the OP is asking about good players.

What about kind of sort of ok players?

I'm just not seeing anything that grabs my imagination with what they've shown so far.

It saddens my old gaming heart that the hopeful tale of how Humanity may transcend its own earthly extinction does not grab your imagination. Is there anything I could say to relight the pilot light of your imagination, and get you into Civ 5 on launch day with me?

1. I'm interested in hisory - sci -fi has no hold on me

It puzzles me when I see this opinion divorcing history and science fiction from some Civ fans.

Is it not true that the people who make history today must first dream of a future that differs from the past?

Without science fiction...would humanity have ever launched Sputnik, the Voyager Missions, or the Apollo Program? How can you be swept away by the wonders of human history without a desire to know what comes next...maybe in just...one...more...turn?

Or are you simply saying that you prefer to dream your virtual historical dreams, and that you leave it to others to dream of the future which one day will be well...history?

It puzzles me when I see this opinion divorcing history and science fiction from some Civ fans.

Is it not true that the people who make history today must first dream of a future that differs from the past?

Without science fiction...would humanity have ever launched Sputnik, the Voyager Missions, or the Apollo Program? How can you be swept away by the wonders of human history without a desire to know what comes next...maybe in just...one...more...turn?

Or are you simply saying that you prefer to dream your virtual historical dreams, and that you leave it to others to dream of the future which one day will be well...history?

Oh....I dream of a future...most than most people do. I'm the CEO of a biotech start-up. We are creating the future.

I come from a country that has less than 250 years of recorded history - I live in a place where 500 years was just last week. How can you not be fascinated by that?

And I still won't buy Civ BE because of Steam.

I have no role in "dreaming a future" because it seems like the nonsensical and alien/zombie nuts have taken over the narrative. We are best prepared for the future by learning from the past, which many refuse or have no interest in learning. They would rather live in a fantasy about robots and aliens and space colonization as if those are things to aspire to.

I have no role in "dreaming a future" because it seems like the nonsensical and alien/zombie nuts have taken over the narrative. We are best prepared for the future by learning from the past, which many refuse or have no interest in learning. They would rather live in a fantasy about robots and aliens and space colonization as if those are things to aspire to.

Yeah, this is largely why I'm not going over to BE. For a while I thought it had a lot of promise (I like the basic idea behind the game, space colonization) and certainly gameplay-wise it looks great, but all the "weird" elements they've added in kinda wreck it for me.
Also, I dislike dystopian fiction.

The pattern for Firaxis seems to be:

civ x, 2 expansions, remake

Civ3 2 expansions, Pirates remake (or was it railroad tycoon?)
Civ4 2 expansions, Colonization remake
Civ5 2 expansions, Alpha Centauri remake

Question: How soon after the Colonization remake was Civ5 announced?

Never mind: it was 2 years

So, Civ6 in 2016?

I kinda suck at civ, but have gotten caught up in the hype so will prob get the new one, maybe not straight away, but probably pretty early

They would rather live in a fantasy about robots and aliens and space colonization as if those are things to aspire to.

I must be among those who live in such a fantasy, because I see a future with both aliens and artificial intelligence standing as equal beings next to humanity. I study and love world history which is a major reason that the Civilization Franchise captures my imagination. Why must you doubt the dreams of your fellow humans as if you imply that your dreams are more rational that theirs?

Can't you see the possibility that dreams need to be impractical in order to press humanity forward scientifically? For example, the technologies that stem from the Apollo Program did seem impractical and very expensive at the time. However, those seemingly impractical ideas led to Velcro, Tang, and Magnetized Tools in the worldwide marketplace.

I both aspire to and take inspiration from a potential future where humanity reaches optimistically (if perhaps foolishly) for utopia instead of a potential future where we instead slouch dejectedly towards dystopia. I am not however inimical towards dystopian media. I enjoy dystopian themes, perhaps in the manner of the parable of Pandora's Box. What I mean here is that for me good dystopia media lays all of our potential future troubles at our feet, while it takes care in also showing us a few small candle flames of Hope which refuse to extinguish their dreams.

CivV with the Communitas mod is what is eating up all my gameplay hours right now, I'm interested in CIVBE, but all my extra $$ is going towards an iPhone 6 right now......ill get it in due time though :)

Top Bottom