Sailing Ships Reskins

You can see a ship like this in Arne's Shipyard, the Transport. I had a look at both next to each other, and then I decided to use the latin sail for the viking ship and later the square sailed one for the romans. I think a ship with latin sails will be more agile, and the Vikings were known to have agile ships. Just my taste. :)

Another small addition: Mediterranean Sailing Ships

Screenshots are in the download section.

I like those Roman ships!! Can you also tell which one in which (by the images, e.g. top-left: roman caravel), 'cause that is not entirly clear. I like the idea of collored sails, but where it looks nice on the caravel (small ships), the bigger one becomes too red, with its red bow and red sails on multuple masts. Also: why have you chosen for red? Purple is the color for Rome in the game and many modders leave it purple after redistributing colors to other civ's, since most civ's would get a mostly red color that way.
Caesar is purple probably because purple was the official "Imperial" color back then.
Don't get me wrong: I like 'em and I think they make very good "what if" units. If the Roman Empire had endured until the age of sail, this might really have been the way their ships looked.

The greek caraval is nice, but I think it is also too blue. How would that look on (blue)water? Maybe make fine blue and white lines like the greek flag on the main-sail?

For the third set you say they are Carthagenian ships (top picture on the right)? But I think they're Egyptian ships. They use the Egyptian colors (if you use the better-collors and flags mod from KingKongTR) and that "eye" on the bow of one of them certainly looks egyptian.:)

But you have done a great job. This will ad a little flavor to the oceans of civilization and is a great addition the other great sailing ships you have made. :goodjob: Although it could use a little tweaking. But that's my humble opinion.

Can you also tell which one in which (by the images, e.g. top-left: roman caravel), 'cause that is not entirly clear.

In this picture:
Top left: Roman Caravel
Top right: Carthaginian Galleon
Bottom left: Greek Frigate
Bottom right: Carthaginian SotL

Why I have used red for Rome instead of purple:

I think, if we think about roman soldiers, we think about legions waring red colors. So if the uniforms are red, why would they use purple for ships?

Why I have used so much red:

Btw, whats now red at the hull of the roman galleon for example was pink on the vanilla trireme, on the roman frigate it was teamcolor on the vanilla frigate and so on.

For the carthaginian galleon I used this on as an inspriration:

Using black on the Hull didn't satisfy me, so I tried white because of the white and golden sail and I liked it. But perhaps I had still an image in my head when I played Rome TW. Carthage used white as the main color there too. Egyptian, I think, would use more gold than white. But that's my humble opinion.

I love the Italian and Greek ships! :D

I definitely like the idea behind the Roman ship, and the red sail. But at the moment I think the sail is too much of a bright 'flat' red. Maybe you could try adding some more shadows, and desaturating the red a little?

Also, out of curiosity, do you prefer a what-if Rome, or Italy in the later eras?

Well, actually the texture of the red sails does have shadows and structure at the same degree as the other sails. But perhaps the red ist a too strong color, so it isn't visible. Well, you can't allways win, I guess. I just thought might be interesting to try something new. :hammer2:

Personally I prefer the whaf-if-units both as a modder and a player. As a player I prefer what-if-units in general for those civs which have vanished somewhere in history. Sure, on the same land do live other civs today, but they don't have the same culture. If Rome never would been capture for example, I don't think todays roman soldiers or vehicles would look the same as italien does look. Especially if you think about how much Rome did influence europe. Even nowadays there are these influences, so just imagine how strong they would be, if the ancient Rome would still exist. So I like to imagine what those units, the buildings and so on would look like.

And as a modder I must confess, that it becomes boring to retexture the same units over and over again.

But I see, I will better do no more experiments. :)

Well, actually the texture of the red sails does have shadows and structure at the same degree as the other sails. But perhaps the red ist a too strong color, so it isn't visible. Well, you can't allways win, I guess. I just thought might be interesting to try something new. :hammer2:
It's not a bad idea, perhaps you just need to try using a different shade of red.

I really like the what if units more than the normal modern ones for these civs. I haven't had the chance to see them in game, but do the galleon and caravel actually have cannons on them? Also I personnaly agree with the comments about the red. maybe a more red/white stripe or the black stripes in the red which are visible in the picture you posted would help to make it look less of a big red square, it breaks up the color. A last thing about the caravel, it looks a little more viking to me due to the dragonhead. maybe shape it more like the trireme that you used for the others.
Thanks for making these cool units, the comments are only meant as possitive feedback.

Also you could apply a contrast+unsharp mask filter the the structure layer, to make it more defined, before multipying it with the red layer.

Personally I prefer the whaf-if-units both as a modder and a player. As a player I prefer what-if-units in general for those civs which have vanished somewhere in history. Sure, on the same land do live other civs today, but they don't have the same culture. If Rome never would been capture for example, I don't think todays roman soldiers or vehicles would look the same as italien does look. Especially if you think about how much Rome did influence europe. Even nowadays there are these influences, so just imagine how strong they would be, if the ancient Rome would still exist. So I like to imagine what those units, the buildings and so on would look like.

And as a modder I must confess, that it becomes boring to retexture the same units over and over again.

But I see, I will better do no more experiments. :)

No, I like them. It's just that I'm biased because I don't really like what-if units in civ. :lol: If that's what you prefer to make, you should make them. But it's generous that you're making Italian units aswell, because I can make good use of them. ;)

I may try and create some ancient Roman ships using your red sail idea, because they really stand out from the other ships and add a new layer of diversity.

No, I like them. It's just that I'm biased because I don't really like what-if units in civ. :lol: If that's what you prefer to make, you should make them. But it's generous that you're making Italian units aswell, because I can make good use of them. ;)
No what if? But what about your great Meso-American ships, Chuggi (still waiting for a frigate :D). That is the same thing. You should have made Mexican/Spanish ships, instead of those. Like JustATourist said: "ROME is not the same as Italy." Their ships would not have looked the same as other European nations if their empire had endured until the Age of Sail... So I am also in favor of the What-If units, including you Meso-American ships-set.
I may try and create some ancient Roman ships using your red sail idea, because they really stand out from the other ships and add a new layer of diversity.
I just hope JustATourist does not abandon his great idea while people have remarks about the first design. A first design may often be criticised, only to get a better end-result. Applying the tips that other modders give may result in a better shipdesign. And no-one has said it was bad.......:goodjob:

Sorry I'm back, apparently I have not solved my issue. I am using the Roman ships for a mod I'm working on, and I used the included animations for the Galleon (the Trireme.kfm) and there seems to be an error pop-up when the unit is activated. Am I using the wrong animation or what? Anyone else have a problem with this?

If anyone could help me with this ASAP that would be fantastic. I seem to have similar issues with the Carthaginian ships, which is not surprising because they are just different skins apparently.

Has anybody looked into this yet? I am not sure if it works regardless of the python error pop-up, but I'd rather not have it happen at all. So if anyone has experience with these units in any way I'd really like to hear about why this is happening.

I think it was mentioned that The_Coyote worked on this, so if you happen to read this TC please help me out!!!

I have decided to get a little more in-depth about this, because I need to get it fixed.

I basically added THESE SHIPS to my mod and get an error pop-up referring to python files. I have attached a screen-shot of the error so you can see it exactly.

This is the XML I entered for the Roman Galleon:

Code:
		<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEON_ROME</Type>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Galleon.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,5,9</Button>
			<fScale>0.15</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.5</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/Rome/Galleon/transport.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Rome/Galleon/Trireme.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Rome/Galleon/transport.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/GalleonShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<iDamageStates>4</iDamageStates>
			<TrailDefinition>
				<Texture>Art/Shared/water_ship_wake.dds</Texture>
				<fWidth>1</fWidth>
				<fLength>180.0</fLength>
				<fTaper>1</fTaper>
				<fFadeStartTime>.2</fFadeStartTime>
				<fFadeFalloff>0.35</fFadeFalloff>
			</TrailDefinition>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bSmoothMove>1</bSmoothMove>
			<fAngleInterpRate>720.0</fAngleInterpRate>
			<fBankRate>.3</fBankRate>
			<fExchangeAngle>25.0</fExchangeAngle>
			<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop>LOOPSTEP_OCEAN2</AudioRunTypeLoop>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd>ENDSTEP_OCEAN2</AudioRunTypeEnd>
			</AudioRunSounds>
			<SelectionSound>AS3D_UN_OCEAN_END1</SelectionSound>
			<ActionSound>AS3D_UN_OCEAN_END1</ActionSound>
		</UnitArtInfo>

The file-structure is completely correct. All of Rome's other units up until this point have worked flawlessly, so there is nothing wrong with the files (unless there is something wrong with this one of course).

I have not altered the python files in any way. I used the Next War mod (the regular BtS version, unaltered) as the base, and so far have only add different terrain graphics and flavored units for the civs.

So I am not sure what could possibly be wrong. Is the animation incorrect? If so, should I use the regular Trireme.kfm? Or will that not work with the unit?

I'll wager a donut this file doesn't exist:
<KFM>Art/Units/Rome/Galleon/Trireme.kfm</KFM>

Top Bottom