Confused about sailing on Lanun/Pirate ships

suedenim

Chieftain
Can anyone give me a clear, concise explanation of what, exactly, can or can't travel on a Pirate ship, and why? Every time I think I understand it, it turns out I don't.

I can't board a Worker or a Swordsman.... what *will* work? (I know I can make it a "declared" nationality ship, but if I want to just keep being piratical?)

Only HN units can travel in HN ships. That pretty much limits you to Council of Esus Recon units, Nightwatches, Alazkan the Asassin, the Three Stooges, and captured animals.

Thats entirely possible, if the Privateer had declared nationality. I believe that this unit still looks HN when it isn't. In older versions, it kept its HN status once declared, but didn't have the promotion that stopped non HN units from using them as transports.

So the whole Lanun Boarding Party thing will work with any ship *other* than Pirate? I see how the whole HN thing is problematic, but that still seems sub-optimal....

Its not completely accurate.

It is as follows: Normal ships with normal restrictions only transprot normal Units. HN Ships only transport HN Units. So far so good.

But! Ships that can enter rival territory (Galleys and Caravels) do transport both sorts. Caravells are very solid Ships because of it if you are working with lots of HN units (and they are really good for scouting especially with Arcane Units able to cast floating eye ;) and getting greath Merchants to big cities in civs you dont have open Borders with for big heaps of Gold.) as well as being ok in price and also usable as mildly effective warships for midgame with proper Resources.

So go Optics---> Caravels for low-micromanagement mid-game Transport. And keep some for later maybe.

But this one should be documented better and indeed be one of the quick-tips on loading. Just the thing that fits those.

So not a big issue if! you know how to handle the whole thing.

Top Bottom