The "Settle Where?" thread

hex 1
Hill, River, 2 tiles from a mountain for the various wonders, 3 food tile in the first ring. Still get the stone and depending on what's north can just citadel for one or both spices. Possibly just buy the gems from a ruin or city state gold.

Agreed, hex 1 is very nice. But T0 I would have sent the warrior (or maybe the settler) SW towards desert, but too late now. I might have missed the mountains and 2x spice, but prolly there is good stuff in the southern fog too.

Agreed, hex 1 is very nice. But T0 I would have sent the warrior (or maybe the settler) SW towards desert, but too late now. I might have missed the mountains and 2x spice, but prolly there is good stuff in the southern fog too.

I'm thinking that would be a good option for city #2. By staying up north, between the mountain range and the jungle spices defending the capital would be super easy assuming this is Deity. Plus the river will help defend on the east side.

I would have been tempted to scout downwards towards the desert.

With the options you've given me, I'd go on no.2, or on the gems.

I like Nicky's point of settling on #2. The spices aren't a tile you will want to work any time soon, so the fact that you get a good amount of gold and won't have to improve it looks attractive. It is also the tile that seems to grant you the most amount of resources in the current vision.

Settling on the gems seems weird to me, though, as you'll lose a cow and a second spice in the north, as well as a great mine-tile to work on the gems.

That's a good point playing as Egypt, but depends a bit on the difficulty level. I can't remember ever building it myself on Deity, but on lower difficulties it should certainly be attainable, and the extra gold is very nice.

Settling on luxes is more important for expos than the cap IMHO. I also hate settling on forest (spices) because it loses the chops. I think there are three wonders that unlock with mountain in 2nd ring, so why pass on all of those? Hex 1 for the win!

The big advantage is that you'll get the happy as soon as you research calendar, otherwise you'd need a worker and 10 turns or so for chop+plantation (plus possible delay researching mining, but you'll want that soon anyway). Since early expansion can be happiness-constrained, that plus the city gold might be worth the 20 hammers.

Top Bottom