Advanced concept: Pre-building and hammer leakage

revelation216

NQ Civilopedian
How exactly does this work?

FilthyRobot on Youtube advises prebuilding of units to trick opponents on the size of one's military force and potentially pump out an army of 10-20 units in a matter of 4-5 turns. IMO this guy is a really top class player with exceptional insights into the game so one would expect this advice to be flawless.

However, I have discovered that pre-building actually has couple of flaws.

The first is that you cannot pre-build multiple units of the same type. So you cannot for example get an archer down to 1 turn, add another archer to the list and then swap them. When you try to drag the 1 turn archer down the list it will not move. Instead you must use units of different types, so pre-building is most effective when playing with lots of cities.

The second flaw is hammer leakage. In other words this means that you put some turns into a building or unit and then switch your build to something else, perhaps for timing purposes, expecting the amount of turns left on the first object to be the same when you return to building it; However, despite your production being constant, when you return to that object the amount of turns remaining has unfortunately increased.

I had the misfortune of discovering this in a recent game where I (probably sub-optimally) decided to work on a caravan while I was waiting for to tech archery so that I could then build an archer to help protect my workers/do barb missions and then a settler, and when that settler was a city, for it to build a granary to run food to the capital. When the caravan had 1 turn remaining upon teching archery, I stopped and switched to archer.

When the settler was a city and a granary was built there, I returned to work on my caravan but found the 1 turn remaining had now become 4 turns.

Am I wrong about this, have I missed something, and if not, why does this happen?

You are not wrong. Pre-building, as described, is a strategy that can produce at most 1 unit per city, and if for example you have 4 cities and that total of 4 units makes a difference to the outcome of a battle that you've baited from another human player, then it was probably a bad DoW anyway.

The only things worth pre-building are Oxford and other Wonders that have a game-entering effect, so you get it when you want it, IMHO.

Hammer loss does occur, but not at all fast. You waited something like 14 turns to make the archer and settler and then what, another 14 to walk it and plant and build a granary.

Switching between Militia, Spears, and Archers is no time at all.

Hammer loss does occur, but not at all fast. You waited something like 14 turns to make the archer and settler and then what, another 14 to walk it and plant and build a granary.

Switching between Militia, Spears, and Archers is no time at all.

Militia!!!

Takes me back to my Civ 1 days when I was 6 years old :D

I want to say hammer decay begins at 10 turns for units, longer for buildings, and longer still for wonders.

On normal speed 10 units for units, 20 turns for buildings. Never seen leakage for wonders.

Top Bottom