SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

Since I haven't heard from Gengis this evening, I suspect he's at the beach getting toasted and baked... soo....

@NP - you're up, take your time. If you can get it played by Friday that'll be fine. After that, we'll go to GK, Tal, me, Mistfit, and back to you.

One thing we all need to watch - our FP city lacks a market, so we're going to have happiness problems there as it grows.

Also - the thing I started building in Konigsberg (Leo's?) is a pre-build for Copernicus...

For those watching the score: I'm optimistic that our score line will improve dramatically as our population grows. I think we got into Republic fairly early, which followed an absolutely awful hammering by barbs... I think that slowed us down, but in the long run (and this variant is a long run) it will prove to be a minor setback.

Oh man - I just thought of something awful...

If no Japanese town is on an island to the north, it means there are tons of barb horses up there, and any Japanese settler pair got clipped (or never got off the boat). We might want to send 2 knights to each island to investigate before sending any settler pairs...

scoutsout said:
Oh man - I just thought of something awful...

If no Japanese town is on an island to the north, it means there are tons of barb horses up there, and any Japanese settler pair got clipped (or never got off the boat). We might want to send 2 knights to each island to investigate before sending any settler pairs...

:eek:

Good call... Definitely the way forward, this scouts out business ;)

Hmm, suddenly I'm not so sure that it's worth settling up there if there are 2 stacks of 24 horse. For those of you just joining us, just the mention of BSoTE's (Barbarian Stacks of Treasury Emptying) to me, GK and Scout is enough to bring on the :twitch:

Suffice to say, the AIs went into the Middle Ages at a very inopportune moment :lol:

Tallanas said:
Hmm, suddenly I'm not so sure that it's worth settling up there if there are 2 stacks of 24 horse.
Barbarians aside... this game has a couple of twisted habits:

1) If you see an AI settler pair plop down in the middle of the desert, you can bet your bottom dollar that there's oil and/or saltpeter within the 9 tiles of that city. (Sir Bugsy still owes me a six-pack from Bede01 on that count...)

2) If you see an AI Settler pair headed towards tundra, it's probablly got oil...

I recall a particular officer I once knew. As the saying goes..."he doesn't miss many meals, and he doesn't miss any deals." An "old sahge" pointed him out to me one afternoon, with the advice "if you ever see that man standing still, get in line, 'cause they're about to start handin' out somethin' good.".

That Japanese Galley wasn't sightseeing, they have the map.

Knights to play whack-a-barb. Settlers to claim "snow" (oil, or somethin' good).

scoutsout said:
An "old sahge" pointed him out to me one afternoon, with the advice "if you ever see that man standing still, get in line, 'cause they're about to start handin' out somethin' good.".

:lol:

scoutsout said:
That Japanese Galley wasn't sightseeing, they have the map.

Knights to play whack-a-barb. Settlers to claim "snow" (oil, or somethin' good).

You just know the oil will be in the 9-tile snow section of that island :)

Tal

I had thought of that on my last turns. Make sure you turn around the galley as it has only 2 settlers on it right now. If your feeling lucky you could pop a couple of Regular Knights from towns that don't have Rax in them to expidite things and then take them across for a military "training" expedition. If not we will have quite a wait to get two more Vets and a galley.

:bounce::banana: :bounce: :banana: :bounce::banana: :bounce::banana: :bounce:

How about them DEEETROIT PISTONS

Advice received--thanks, all. :goodjob:

Scouts Quote:
One thing we all need to watch - our FP city lacks a market, so we're going to have happiness problems there as it grows.
This seems to be a downfall of not going to war with anyone...no GL's for rushing the Forbidden Palace of Auburn Hills

I have a sneaking suspission that we got 213 of the jungle tiles out of the 214 available

Mistfit said:
Scouts Quote:
This seems to be a downfall of not going to war with anyone...no GL's for rushing the Forbidden Palace of Auburn Hills

Yes! As seen in the spoiler thread, there are a number of other teams who did exactly this - get the GL, rush the palace, sit back and enjoy!

Funnily enough, in ***SPOILER CENSORED*** recently, I waged a fantastic war against ***SPOILER CENSORED*** got 3 leaders, 2 in the same turn, and laughed all the way to ***SPOILER CENSORED***. Twice.

;)

However, since we are going for diplo win and tech pace, I'm willing to endure the great pita that is building a FP brick by brick...

Tal

Mistfit said:
Are we able to look at the spoiler thread now?

Yes :)

blah blah blah...

Hmm, there's a teaser... Scout?

By the way, the blah blah balh above was to fill out the minimum character count :)

Can't just say "Yes" and be done with it :lol:

I guess that's what happens when you trade with your neighbours, rather than getting out the pointed sticks...

:D

If we can beat the other teams to the industrial age, we can own this game. Lots of dead-end techs to trip us up in the Middle ages...

Look for France to bee-line to Gunpowder, which means we need to stay on the upper end of the tree.

I would agree with that, Scout. I think the Middle Ages are the most important section of the game in terms of tech pace and getting into a position to dominate the AI. It's as if the AA is where you set it up, madly expanding and trading for parity, and here is where the early work is fulfilled. The IA should be a stroll if you get this era right.

That said, we could use a Golden Age pretty soon. Our population is getting big enough to make full use of one. The only thing is, I just checked and found that Copernicus is an expansionist wonder, not scientific. So we'll most likely need Newton's Uni and, if we want an early one, Leonardo's Workshop (military), or for later, Theory of Evolution (scientific)...

Tal

An industrial era Golden Age before Panzers would be nice...

But we seem to have a pretty solid tech parity going; a GA isn't all that important. One thing we need to do is pay attention to the dead end techs. Though there is one that I want (Economics - I love Smith's) whenever the AI get a dead-end tech we need to acquire it and trade/give it around. Navigation needs to get given/traded around ASAP, so that we can trade lux with the other continent. We need to keep as much research effort as possible going into the techs that will move us forward.

Good plan Scout. I love Smith's as well especially with my tendency to over build. I have found in my limited Monarch experience that by the mid to late middle age I turn up the science and never get beat to another tech.

Another one that would be nice is Bach's cathedral... 2 content per city... Mmmm :)

I'm glad the question of our Wonder-activated Golden Age has been raised. (A GA triggered by Panzers would come too late to mean much.) Assuming that we aren't going to be taking other nations' Wonders, we don't have a wide range of options, and we need to make a firm decision as to when we want our GA before we let the pre-build in Konigsberg complete.

The basic constraint is that of the five militaristic Wonders in the game, one (Great Wall) has been built and one (Manhattan Project) occurs uselessly late for our purposes. Two others, Sun Tzu and Leonardo, are being built by other civs right now. So if we don't get Sun Tzu or Leonardo, the decision is made for us--our GA will occur in the Industrial Age, when we build Universal Suffrage (yes, a militaristic Wonder). In itself that wouldn't be bad timing, but it would require us to commit resources to an expensive, basically useless Wonder at a time when we'd be very concerned about a better one, ToE. And while a GA early in the Industrial Age would be all right, one on the threshold of the IA, triggered by Newton, would be perfect.

My conclusion, then, is that we should try to use the pre-build in Konigsberg to beat our rivals to Leonardo (or Sun Tzu, if necessary and possible), and only default to Copernicus if we fail in this. But it's a vital decision which can be argued either way, and I'd like to hear what the rest of you think. I won't play for fifteen hours or so, so you have some time to respond.

Top Bottom